First ever hatchlings

First round of hatchlings hatched on my birthday! Any extra feeder advice is welcomed, using flightless melanogaster flies currently. Plan on hatching some baby silks to feed as well. Are pinheads a necessary staple? Thanks!

Attachments

• F688B49C-D28D-49CA-92B3-BF581F54ED16.jpeg
    F688B49C-D28D-49CA-92B3-BF581F54ED16.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 01C65EFC-3A5D-4BD7-862B-CA4523D59B15.jpeg
    01C65EFC-3A5D-4BD7-862B-CA4523D59B15.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 62
Well happy birthday, what presents your beautiful girl gave you. I have never hatched any so i am not the one for advice on that. But congradulations!

Congrats and Happy Birthday!! No advice on feeders but I do love the pics. 😂Nice little Cham fam you have there, good luck with those babies!

First round of hatchlings hatched on my birthday! Any extra feeder advice is welcomed, using flightless melanogaster flies currently. Plan on hatching some baby silks to feed as well. Are pinheads a necessary staple? Thanks!
What an amazing birthday present!

Last edited:
IMHO pinhead crickets are a good option for feeders…they are more readily available usually and easy to feed/gutload and maintain.
Hey, off topic but how often should i mist my hatchlings? I try to keep water lightly misted on the sides where it would be accessible as often as possible. I try to avoid spraying them directly, but to some extent it seems inevitable. Also i’m aware that basking heat lamps are a subject of controversy for hatchlings generally speaking. I just take them outside in direct sunlight for a few minutes (~5min max at a time) for heat and some uvb. I feel like natural uvb has to be the best source. Do you have any suggestions for how often to mist them and how frequently they should go outside for heat and uvb? Thanks :)

It’s pardalis…right?

Be careful the water doesn’t pool anywhere because if the hatchling tries to drink a little “pool” of water it can drown them. A little bit of spray shouldn’t hurt them as long as the mist is very fine and you don’t spray so hard or fast that they choke or take too much in their mouth at once..so don’t spray it right on the face.

There is no need usually for a basking light…their bodies are small and can dehydrate quickly. Where do you live and what’s the ambient temperature?

They do still need the UVB on the cages…or to get enough time outside in the sunlight.

It’s pardalis…right?

Be careful the water doesn’t pool anywhere because if the hatchling tries to drink a little “pool” of water it can drown them. A little bit of spray shouldn’t hurt them as long as the mist is very fine and you don’t spray so hard or fast that they choke or take too much in their mouth at once..so don’t spray it right on the face.

There is no need usually for a basking light…their bodies are small and can dehydrate quickly. Where do you live and what’s the ambient temperature?

They do still need the UVB on the cages…or to get enough time outside in the sunlight.
yes pardalis, sorry i should have clarified. I try to keep the water in a fine mist on the side of their cage, there’s very minimal excess water that runs down the sides. I’m in the pittsburgh area so the humidity is never typically too low. I haven’t put up a uvb source yet but i have T8’s that could be new or old bulbs and T5’s that’s are fresh bulbs. However i’ve had the privilege to be able to take them outside since they have hatched

Back
Top Bottom