First egg, is it supposed to look like this?

I got my first egg from Eric (chameleons101) and its a red body blue bar. When I candle it with a small single LED it is yellow and has a few lines or veins. I don't see a large built on the bottom. Also it has a small portion where its thinner (im guessing its a "window") the diameter of a few mm. Is this normal? BTW the rooms its in stays at about 70F.

Yes all that sounds normal. If you got it from Eric you should be in good shape. He's a straight up guy. You might want to raise up the temp to around 74/75 if you want it to hatch sooner. Do it gradually if you do.

Ok that puts the egg at being laid around May if the estimate is a 6 month incubation. I'm guessing you bought the egg in May or June?
At 70 degrees your egg more than likely will not hatch after a 6 month incubation. My guess would be around 8 months. Maybe longer. Just my guess. I'm sure someone here would know a little better than me.
If I'm right there prob wouldn't be much of anything to see inside the egg right now. But if you are seeing veins that is a great sign.
One last question when did you receive the egg?

I just put a heater on low in the room to raise it to 80F, thats okay if there are other chameleons in the room right? I don't have the heater pointed towards them

If you got your egg from him 2 weeks ago I don't think it's going to be hatching anytime soon. An egg can only be safely shipped before it reaches 2 months old. And I know Eric is fully aware of it. He knows what he is doing for sure. So my guess is your egg has at the minimum 4 more months to go. That's if you raise up your temps starting right now and keep them that way for the duration. So 6 months total incubation is best case worst case can be much much longer. So keep up those temps.

If you got your egg from him 2 weeks ago I don't think it's going to be hatching anytime soon. An egg can only be safely shipped before it reaches 2 months old. And I know Eric is fully aware of it. He knows what he is doing for sure. So my guess is your egg has at the minimum 4 more months to go. That's if you raise up your temps starting right now and keep them that way for the duration. So 6 months total incubation is best case worst case can be much much longer. So keep up those temps.
I met him in person, he lives a few minutes from me.

Here is it, the black spot is sharpie. The spec is the window. Also when I opened the incubator there were a few droplets on the egg I'm guessing this is the sweating thing.
IMAG6796.jpg

Got a ways to go. No need to candle it again anytime soon. I did see a vein so just give it time. Maybe you will get lucky and produce an albino. Just kidding. But it would be cool!!
Good luck with your egg!!! Hope it's a male.

I have a set of eggs that are 3 days shy of 4 months. I can see development in almost all of them but there are a few that I can't see much of anything in. With those eggs in particular I started them off in the high 60s for the first 2 months after that I raised up the temp to around 75 maybe even as high as 77/78 on a few days. But I try to keep them around 75. There in my closet. I don't have any heaters so some days it's just a little hotter in there.
I have a clutch hatching right now that I setup the same exact way. The first egg hatched at 6 months and 1 day. The rest are following nicely.
Go ahead and contact Eric. I'm pretty sure his eggs are setup to hatch in 6 months total incubation.

Here is it, the black spot is sharpie. The spec is the window. Also when I opened the incubator there were a few droplets on the egg I'm guessing this is the sweating thing.
View attachment 110778

They sweat 24/48 hours before they pip... That egg does not look like it is ready to hatch. Yes it will look denser on the bottom at the baby develops...and completely solid on the bottom right before it hatches

Back
Top Bottom