First chameleon

Shadowking

Hey guys Im getting my first chameleon soon and im looking for all the information to make sure what i have found is right so anything helpful please let me know. Thanks

Do you know all the basics like cage size, diet, lighting, health care? look around the internet for care sheets ect. I'm not sure if the forum page itself has a care sheet or not.

Do you know all the basics like cage size, diet, lighting, health care? look around the internet for care sheets ect. I'm not sure if the forum page itself has a care sheet or not.
Yes I have looked into all of that the only things im not to sure on is supplements.

Yes I have looked into all of that the only things im not to sure on is supplements.

Your supplements will depend on what type of chameleon you get. I have a female panther chameleon and I use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD on every feeding. Once a month I add 1 drop of proformed liquid vitamin A -- not all keepers do this. Some use a schedule of phosphorus-free calcium, calcium with d3 and a multi-vitamin powder. Again -- it really depends on what type of chameleon you are getting as I recently learned Montane species of chameleon have different needs.

Hey guys Im getting my first chameleon soon and im looking for all the information to make sure what i have found is right so anything helpful please let me know. Thanks
Hi there and welcome! As already stated by @AnamCara everything depends on the species your getting. You could fill out this form in detail with what you are planning to get, have bought, and what the plan for your husbandry is and we can give you additional feedback so you feel completely prepared. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Also, make sure to get your chameleon from a breeder or other reputable source. I bought my chameleon from a chain store like petco and she was a runt and had health problems. Breeders are usually more expensive, but the quality is almost always far greater.

Welcome @Shadowking I recommend setting up the whole condo prior to getting the baby if you have not already . You could fill out the ask for help form know with all you have with pics . Other keepers can go through your form and take a look at your condo for any tweaking that needs to be made . Be sure to post pic once you have your baby . We LOVE babies xo .

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome! As already stated by @AnamCara everything depends on the species your getting. You could fill out this form in detail with what you are planning to get, have bought, and what the plan for your husbandry is and we can give you additional feedback so you feel completely prepared. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
There Becca added the sheet .

With a veiled, just use ‘Repashy Calcium Plus LoD’ at every feeding. It’s an all-in-one and will make things super easy for you. Just make sure your uvb is on point.

Repashy Calcium plus Lod will work great. Use lightly at every feeding. Make sure you have a T5HO linear fixture with a 5.0 or 6% UVB tube as well. The compact coil UVB bulbs are not strong enough, nor do they spread out enough to benefit the chameleon and often lead to problems with MBD.

Making sure you gutload the feeder insects is also crucial to the nutritional wellbeing of your cham.

These podcast are great to listen to and gather more info: https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

Back
Top Bottom