First Chameleon Set-Up Questions

Toddsnake

I am new to the forums and will be getting my first ever chameleon, a Panther Chameleon from Ed Kammer in the next few months. I am working on my list of supplies I will need...here is what I'm planning to purchase: Dragon Strand Large Screen Cage 24"x 24"x48" with Dragon Ledges and corner supports for misting heads and drip tray. Mist King Misting System, not sure how many spray heads I need for this size cage...maybe 1 mist head and 1 of the new shower head design...? I have already ordered a 24" Dual Bulb T5 Light Fixture from Light Your Reptiles. 12% UVB and 6.5K Full Spectrum Daylight Bulb. Not sure what size/watt basking dome light to go with...? Also looking for a digital powerstrip/timer to control everything so I don't have a giant stack of timers to deal with. Do I still need a dripper system also? Planning on live plants, Umbrella Plant in the center with Pothos hanging around the corners. Also lots of fake vines inter-connecting everything. Not sure on what type feeder cup? Saw one on Youtube that had a stick sticking up in the middle that the crickets would climb up and enter an easy kill zone... I know I have to re-pot plants so there is nothing harmful in the soil, and a layer of rocks on top of soil to help avoid him ingesting any of it. Also getting gut-load for my feeders and the calcium powder to shake-n-bake the feeders in. What else am I missing....let me know!
Also, I am not new to reptiles, I have been keeping and breeding corn snakes for over 10 years, I still have over 30 of them!
Thanks for any info.....
Todd Lancaster

Ed is GREAT to work with, and will help get you ready. All looks good. Depending on how dry it is where you live, I had to add plastic to two sides of my enclosure to keep the humidity up. We killed our umbrella with overwatering, added rocks in bottom and sand/soil mix to avoid that again.

If you get you misting system set up properly you can skip the dripper IMO. You could also just use one misting nozzle but adding the shower head would be awesome.
If you plan on getting a younger cham you might want to start him in a smaller cage so he has easier access to everything. Some start with large cages but you will have to be more diligent. Did find the feeders? Was he near the mister? Did he get warmed or enough UVB? etc.
You probably have this but get a quality hygrometer/thermometer or two to better monitor your ambient and basking areas. Once you can monitor your temps you can adjust your basking bulb accordingly. Depending on how old a cham you get you will have to adjust the basking temp as they age.
Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 82F (28C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85-90F (29-32C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 80-85F (26-29C)

Ed is GREAT to work with, and will help get you ready. All looks good. Depending on how dry it is where you live, I had to add plastic to two sides of my enclosure to keep the humidity up. We killed our umbrella with overwatering, added rocks in bottom and sand/soil mix to avoid that again.
I live in WA and had humidity issues with keeping the humidity up. I went to lowes and a pieces of plexiglass cut to the size of my cage and velcrowed the plexiglass to the sides. I took off the pannels in the Summer time, but it works great!

Back
Top Bottom