First Cham, Veiled or Panther

Cpboy24

Hey everyone I just got a question to ask, what chameleon is the best one to start with and also, is caring for one harder than the other?

Hey everyone I just got a question to ask, what chameleon is the best one to start with and also, is caring for one harder than the other?
well im still new to chams, but from what ive read/heard etc.. veiled and panthers are the most forgiving care wise.. similar requirements or keeping them healthy as well...price..well thats a big difference lol..cham care is...well it can be expensive, veileds and panthers are considered easy chams but chams as a pet are not considered a beginner pet..if youve never had a reptile...a cham might not be the best thing to start with but.. if you do your homework and put in the time and work to learn about them first..theres no reason why (IMO) someone who never had a reptile as a pet couldnt start with a cham..just my thoughts though

well im still new to chams, but from what ive read/heard etc.. veiled and panthers are the most forgiving care wise.. similar requirements or keeping them healthy as well...price..well thats a big difference lol..cham care is...well it can be expensive, veileds and panthers are considered easy chams but chams as a pet are not considered a beginner pet..if youve never had a reptile...a cham might not be the best thing to start with but.. if you do your homework and put in the time and work to learn about them first..theres no reason why (IMO) someone who never had a reptile as a pet couldnt start with a cham..just my thoughts though

I agree with this. I don't see why you shouldn't get a chameleon as long as you give it the care it needs. In my opinion their difficulty to care for is highly overrated as long as you do your research, aren't afraid to ask questions, and you're a responsible person.

Well its for the masses...alot of people will see something and buy it...bully needs are one of the best needs of dogs but...if you've never had a dog before you might not be ready for one....you dont train them you raise them lol or like fish...alot of people want a saltwater reef tank because they are pretty but if you've never even had a betta...taking on a reef set up might be too much someone to handle..they aren't hard but they do require a good amount of time and preparation which most people are unaware of...and after a few months go by, they are no longer interested

I'm concerned that if you are asking this question it means you haven't done any research. Keeping chameleons requires indepth research before purchasing so perhaps, once you have done some research on the care of these two gorgeous creatures, you will be able to answer your own question! :D

For the sake of the chameleon, do the research first, please!

I'm concerned that if you are asking this question it means you haven't done any research. Keeping chameleons requires indepth research before purchasing so perhaps, once you have done some research on the care of these two gorgeous creatures, you will be able to answer your own question! :D

For the sake of the chameleon, do the research first, please!

i think the OP's question is seeking a bit of insight as to what cham/chams would be a good to starting point to learn about as a beginner, not asking which cham should i get because its easy...or did i read it wrong?

I do think it is worth stressing that chameleons are quite a bit of work compared to more common household pets IMO. Maintaining the chameleons living space is also part of owning a chameleon, and live feed is definitely not as easy as just plopping down a bowl of pellets. Just do your research first. To answer your original question, most people say panthers are nicer then veileds, the difficulty of ownership is just about the same.

Which one do you like more? That is the right choice.

Do research, watch videos, go to reptile shows, pet stores, look at them, decide what you want to care for every day for the next 4 to 7 years. I would say most captive bred chameleons from reputable breeders are ok if you have experience maintaining a micro environment or are a meticulous person who learns quick.

Whichever you choose do a lot of research, set up the enclosure at least a week before you purchase one and make sure you can keep the required temps and RH. If you can do that you're off to a good start.

The important thing is finding the one you absolutely love and being willing to spend the time and energy.

Which one do you like more? That is the right choice.

The important thing is finding the one you absolutely love and being willing to spend the time and energy.

you beat me to it lol.. i totally agree, the first cham i saw in person was an adult cross panther and i was hooked lol. i told myself.. i WILL have a panther...then i learned that theres a ton of different panthers an i was like i will have pantherS plural lol first thing i looked up was the money.. how much is it going to cost me to get AND maintain....then i was like ok...panther has to wait lol..i saw an adult veiled, turquoise a bit later and he fired up and was hooked again lol and was like i got to have a veiled and a panther. now i have 1.1 veiled and 0.1 soon to be 1.1 panther and ill be good with that...for now lol i want a sunburst high yellow veiled..and honestly i dont even care what local panther lol..

whatever grabs you.. will become fairly easy for you to care for because youre going to WANT to care for it and watch it grow and eat etc...if you dont really like veileds..but you get one because theyre inexpensive and said to be one of the easier to care for species...most likely you wont enjoy it because you never wanted it to begin with..

I had a bunch of other lizards like geckos and a bearded dragon, but I wanna try something new, I've done a lot of research on veileds and also on panther chams. I just wanted your guys opinion on what one is the most outgoing and friendly because then I get the info from hands on people, not people that just read facts,

i think the OP's question is seeking a bit of insight as to what cham/chams would be a good to starting point to learn about as a beginner, not asking which cham should i get because its easy...or did i read it wrong?

That's exactly what I meant haha

Hey man welcome give me a call ill tell u its easy if u have a time,care yes u are responsible for the care but some people get carried away 3478251985

LOL! this is one of those trick questions were no matter how you answer,
someone get ticked off :eek:

A) Veileds males are the least expensive and most hearty and forgiving of
sloppy, or 'learning curve' husbandry.
But ppl will accuse of using veileds as an example of a 'cheap, hence disposable' pet. If you screw up and it dies, you didnt loose much $$ sort
of attitude!!

B) Panther males are almost as hearty, but not quite.
They are a lot more fragile than veileds, I had one die not long ago from large
tumors that developed fairly quickly.
They can get sick and die faster then you can even notice any signs of illness.
But they are the most colorful of cham species, usualy fairly docile, and not generaly picky eaters.

C) Montain species, such as Jacksons, are very fragile and require very special
attention. But once you get everything you need in place, it's fairly straight forward.

My advise, decide which species you like the most, then do all the reading and
research you can, then ask yourself; can I do all this and maintain it for the
life of this animal?
Then, you will have your own answer, and it will be a better one then any of
us can give you :)

I had a bunch of other lizards like geckos and a bearded dragon, but I wanna try something new, I've done a lot of research on veileds and also on panther chams. I just wanted your guys opinion on what one is the most outgoing and friendly because then I get the info from hands on people, not people that just read facts,

Y'know, you are right and I was out of line! Of course you want info from people that have experience with both species! It is my own issue that I can't deal with questions like this from new members because I then see, 3 - 6 months down the road, a question on the Healthcare section along the lines of "why does my Cham have his eyes closed; why isn't my Cham eating"....etc. and then see it in 'The Memorium' section soon after. it really just breaks my heart because a little bit of research goes such a long way!

Anyways, to answer the question asked, I have experience with both and I would suggest you go with a veiled chameleon first as they are a bit more forgiving husbandry-wise and relatively more affordable then a Panther Cham. However, Veiled's are notoriously crabby but can become friendly if you spend the time with them and panthers are very gentle and easy going (at least mine has been!).

It really should come down to your own personal preference, and whatever one you choose, I wish you the best of luck! :)

Thank you all, and I didn't mean for it to be a bad question, I just wanted some insight on people that have the knowledge I had trouble finding, thank you everybody that contributed it honestly means a lot to have people answer my questions

makes sense..nothing like first hand knowledge, i look for the same thing. hopefully one of the more seasoned member can chime in.. generally speaking though, chams arent friendly lol.. ive heard the panthers are more docile than veileds...cant say from person experience from the two though, my veiled are...well mean lol the female is cool once shes out the male is easy to take out but once out just let him do his thing..hes still fairly new and getting a tad more friendly but neither are like...say a baeardie thats just chill...everyone can just go grab them and pick um up type lizards.. my panther is still a neonate so she kinda runs from my hand when i have to take her out which is on weekends for some sun and cage cleaning but shes cool once out as well...i think its the motion of something big coming towards her..ive seen panthers thatll try to bite your hand off..and veiled that couldnt have a care in the world and vice versa..cant speak on any other type though because ive never personally be around any of them regularly

Back
Top Bottom