First cham, critique me set up please!

Here's my setup for an 11 week old ambilobe panther. For the record I'm adding more plants tomorrow.

Humidity: 60%
Basking spot 85 F
Lamp: 75 watt basking lamp, 7" from screen
Reptisun 5.0 bulb
Food: Silkies, Flies, Crickets, and the occasional butterworm. (so far I've only seen him eat the butterworm).
Proposed supplement plan: Every other day, calcium w/out d3. Every other week calcium with d3. Once a month, multi vitamin.

Any questions I'd be happy to answer!

IMG_9475.jpg

IMG_9482.jpg

Bring down the baskig temp to 80. More plants are good. You want to dust 5-6 times a week with calcium without d3 for a baby.

Put a real plant in there like a ficus or umbrella. You might need to drill holes in the bottom. Prop it up on something, and put a pan underneath. If that is repti-carpet, remove it. Panthers need a lot of foliage.

Also get rid of the analog thermometers. They are inaccurate.

Ok, moved his basking light up, so the (inaccurate I guess) thermometer reads 80. I'm guessing I should go digital? What's a good one?

Like I said, when I set this up I realized I was woefully short on foliage, so that's on the list for petco tomorrow. I'm terrible at keeping plants alive, the only one I've manage to keep is a poinsettia from last christmas, and I'm guessing that's not good for chams.

Its just a plain plastic bottom, nothing else.

Thanks for all the help!

if the bowl is for water, cover it with screen. Don't want the cham or feeders falling in it.

ditch the water bowl ...line the bottom with paper towls... and led the dripper drip on the leaves....( get more foliage try live plants....if u cant get live get more plants) and mist with warm water bowls and waterfalls are pointless.

what i meant was put paper towls over the bottem u have to catch the water...easy clean too ...get more fake plants if u cant get real* more water dropplet surface area is always good

Ok, moved his basking light up, so the (inaccurate I guess) thermometer reads 80. I'm guessing I should go digital? What's a good one?

Like I said, when I set this up I realized I was woefully short on foliage, so that's on the list for petco tomorrow. I'm terrible at keeping plants alive, the only one I've manage to keep is a poinsettia from last christmas, and I'm guessing that's not good for chams.

Its just a plain plastic bottom, nothing else.

Thanks for all the help!
Howdy,

A simple sanity check for basking temps is to stick the back of your hand right at the basking spot. If it feels just a bit warm then the temp is within safe margins. Digital thermometers are good for checking ambient temps but one of the really handy ways to check the actual skin/body temp is with a digital infrared temp gun.

I like the ones with distance to spot ratios of 6:1 or 8:1 or higher. 1:1 means that at 1" away you'll be measuring a 1" spot. It is handy to be a few inches away and still be looking at a spot smaller than 1" :).

Don't be overly impressed by the "laser" feature. It is just a laser pointer to aid in pointing at the right spot :eek:.

Ex: http://www.tempgun.com/main.html The PE-2 6:1 and the PE-1 is 1:1
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...timers/-/infrared-temperature-gun-with-laser/ (It's the PE-2)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93984 6:1
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451 8:1

P.S. If you happen to make it to the next SBCK meeting, I usually have a couple of the low-cost 1:1 Harbor Freight (not on their website today?) units available.

The bowl is to catch falling water until I decide how to set up a proper drainage system. I'll cover it with a screen for sure.

Do the paper towels have to be changed daily? I'm going to try that tomorrow.

Most of the stuff i was going to say has been already said. Try to use a pothos or ficus in the cage. A live plant looks better, and keeps up humidity better.

From what i hear they do well inside homes and are good plants to raise.

Keep us updated with pictures witht he more plants tomorrow:)

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone!
I'm going to try and pick up a pothos tomorrow (l like the look of them better) and a couple more fake plants and vines. I'll post update pics tomorrow.

As a side note, I'm soooo stoked! He ate and drank in front of me! I saw him nab two silkworms.

Back
Top Bottom