Finishing for Sides of Cage

VC Floki

I am just about to start to build my VC his new home, and was wandering if I should use plywood for the 1 wall he will have. And if I do, what finishing product would help it hold up to the humidity? Would a laminate work better or a varnish of kinds? I want plywood because I want to be able to drill holes it it for plants to hang. Thanks

GrayMadder

Chameleon Enthusiast
You'll want to use a hardwood (which can get expensive) And you'll have to seal the wood, depending on how you seal it, it will be pricey as well.

I dont think a varnish would hold up to the constant humidity/misting either. Varnish protects from water but its more like water resistant and not completely waterproof.

Here's a thread I thought was a pretty cool idea for an enclosure with minimal waterproofing.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/madmartigans-upgrade.176159/

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
Flex seal makes a great paint on product for sealing woods and it holds up to humidity and moisture. You do need to let it gas off for at least a week though before putting the cham in it. And you should not use it near the cham due to the fumes.

ERKleRose

Chameleon Enthusiast
Yep, though it isn’t pressure treated with chemicals. It’s a waterproof glue that makes it “marine”, not pressure treated with chemicals.
Great, I was just making sure! All of the marine plywood that I’ve ever seen have all been treated with chemicals.

Top Bottom