Finished enclosure(I think)

KatCham

Established Member
Here it is.

001-1.jpg

Lights and mister on at 8am.
Mister on for 1 min every 3 hours which sprays leaves nicely so cham will have plenty opportunity to drink. Have just checked all measurements and water levels. There's still a few drops of water on the leaves after 1.5hrs but I can see that its drying, so should be dry before next mist :D
Measurements as follows.
Basking temp = 83.6 branch is 6" from light (and stat doesn't dim light too much so will stick with it)
Low temp = 69.4
Humidity = 84% (have moved hygrometer to the centre of the cage(see pic).

002-2.jpg

Was sitting at 50, then when mister came on it went to 80, then seems to have levelled out at 84)

Lights and mister off at 8pm. Will then check night time temp before I go to bed.

Please let me know if these levels are ok and if hygrometer ok where it is?

I'm so excited :D:D:D

Thats a cool cage , but maybe you could put some reeptile carpet down or some substrate to make it look more real !

Thats a cool cage , but maybe you could put some reeptile carpet down or some substrate to make it look more real !

Reptile carpet can damage their tongues, and substrate can cause impaction if they swallow it with/instead of their prey.
I just have white paper towel in their which absorbs any stray water drops and as its white I can see poops clearly to monitor his health (because every time he poops he will do it so it will miss the branches and fall on the floor LOL) It'll make cleaning out easier too.

Basking temp 28.6c or 83.5f
Low temp 20.5c or 68.9f
Humidity down to 71%. Mister due to spray again in about 20mins, so looking ok so far.
Sorry if I bore people with readings here, I just want to make sure I have everything right.

i use reptile carpet and i have not had a problem with it , because a chameleon is going to be up in the trees not on the ground !

Have been warned against using it.
Like I say, cleaning out easier, just using paper towels. Might see if I can get some green ones? LOL
The plants on the left are real ficus, on the right by the basking light is fake ficus. I got the real ones to keep humidity up.
Wanted schefflera/hibiscus but not the season yet apparently, so got the ficus for now and hoping to get the others for the Summer.
Don't you have a B&Q up your way? They do the scheffleras apparently.
I got my ficus from Dobbies Garden centre.
Have a ring round any garden centres near you and ask if they sell indoor plants. If they do, then ask if they have the plants you want. That way you'll save a trip. I rang 5 garden centres with no luck before I went to Dobbies!!!

Temps and humidity seem good, but you may want the lights, etc to come on and go off earlier - chams tend to follow what daylight hours are doing outside. My UV comes on first in the morning half an hour before the heat which simulates sunrise and vice versa in the evening. Lights are on around 7am and off at 7.30 pm at the moment - once summer arrives, hours will be increased a bit more.

EDIT - jack77772010 if you have a B&Q near you or a Focus/do it all, they should have Schefflera and Ficus. B&Q also stocks Pothos (labelled as Devi'l Ivy) and carries all three plants in various sizes. Lidl also have offers on tall houseplants from time to time and they usually include ficus and schefflera.

Temps and humidity seem good, but you may want the lights, etc to come on and go off earlier - chams tend to follow what daylight hours are doing outside. My UV comes on first in the morning half an hour before the heat which simulates sunrise and vice versa in the evening. Lights are on around 7am and off at 7.30 pm at the moment - once summer arrives, hours will be increased a bit more.

EDIT - jack77772010 if you have a B&Q near you or a Focus/do it all, they should have Schefflera and Ficus. B&Q also stocks Pothos (labelled as Devi'l Ivy) and carries all three plants in various sizes. Lidl also have offers on tall houseplants from time to time and they usually include ficus and schefflera.

ok thats great thanks !

Ok thanks for the tip Tiff. I'll put timers on so UV on at 7am. Heat lamp on at 7:30am.
Then heat off at 7:30pm, UV off at 8pm.

What about the mister? Just after light goes on, or after heat lamp??????

I can't help with the mister as I don't have one. I usually mist my two by hand about an hour after their lights come on so they have time to warm up a bit first.

i use reptile carpet and i have not had a problem with it , because a chameleon is going to be up in the trees not on the ground !

They don't have to be on the ground. Say a cricket or other feeder falls or climbs to to the bottom and they shoot their tongue to get it and take some of fibers with the feeder into their mouths. I don't know how compact the fibers are in reptile carpet but that is why we suggest not using bark or substrate. Also over time I would think the carpet would harbor bacteria from all the mistings and drippings. Me I dont take any chances and leave the cage floor bare. Maybe it doesn't look at nice but it is more sanitary and practical in my eyes.

I can't help with the mister as I don't have one. I usually mist my two by hand about an hour after their lights come on so they have time to warm up a bit first.

No probs Tiff, will put mister on to come on at 8am, 1hr after uv light, 30m after heatlamp.

Cheers

They don't have to be on the ground. Say a cricket or other feeder falls or climbs to to the bottom and they shoot their tongue to get it and take some of fibers with the feeder into their mouths. I don't know how compact the fibers are in reptile carpet but that is why we suggest not using bark or substrate. Also over time I would think the carpet would harbor bacteria from all the mistings and drippings. Me I dont take any chances and leave the cage floor bare. Maybe it doesn't look at nice but it is more sanitary and practical in my eyes.

Ok , but i have never hear bad things about reptile carpet until now , but i think it is good , thanks !

I have a Habba Mister. I know many don't approve of them, but mine seems to work great. Sprays plants nicely, creating plenty of opportunities to drink.
And humidity is staying between 68 and 80.

I do have a question about the mister actually.
As I have said it sprays every 3 hours for 1 minute at 8am, 11am, 2pm and 5pm, but then I was wondering about the one for 8pm?? Lights go off then so should I have the mister switch off before this scheduled spray, or is it ok for it to spray eventhough lights will go off?

I am going to get a mister bottle as well.
Have just read that mist helps their skin and cleans their eyes, so although auto mister will do its job 4x per day (I will turn off the 8pm one), I will hand mist once maybe twice a day as well to make sure well hydrated.

So shopping list today is:
mister bottle
1/4" brown crix
fruit n veg
Komodo cricket dust

Then all should be set for the little one.

I'm so excited!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom