Finished Beauty!

kgallego

Hey all,

Today I finally finished my nicest to-date Panther enclosure. It took just about all of my spare time for a month to build.

Video showing the finer details will be coming soon!

Here's a list if it's features:

• Dual Enclosure - Both 24" x 24" x 48"
  • Red Oak Frame, Stained and Coated with Polyurathane
  • Glass Doors and Glass Back
  • Aluminum Screen sides and top (splined into the oak - no metal frames)
  • Built in, 12" Deep planters box, filled with highly aeriated soil/silica mixture for good draining
  • Enclosed lighting above, including 5.0 UVB Bulbs, Basking Bulbs, and 4 fluorescent 6400k growlights.
  • 48" Grow lights mounted vertically inside the door panels (4 total), manually controlled by switches above. For visual enhancement only - not on all the time.
  • Misting Lines run throughout the enclosers. Each side has 8 misting nozzles (16 total). Everything gets misted for constant self cleaning. Run off Mist King mist pump - nozzles were bought elsewhere (cheaper).
  • Two silent computer fans keep a very mild, but constant air circulation from the top.
  • Water draining achieved by mounting plastic sheets with silicon, under the planters box, but inside the frame, and out of visual sight.
  • Climbing wood is grape vine. I collected it from a vineyard, pressure washed the bark off, then sand blasted it, and mounted it with bolts out of view/inside the planters box under soil.
  • Plants currently are Pothos, Bromelaids, and ficus trees. I'm currently waiting for some airplants and other plants to come in the mail.
  • The 'Cup Feeder' is made out of a ceramic bowl from Walmart, which is mounted on a peice of wood with silicon, and is held on the grapevine with a steel dowel. It is easily removed.

Starting Point - Red Oak Lumber

Glueing the Legs

Combining the Front/Back main frame

Completed Front main frame

Front and Back Main frames

Installing Divider Panel

Cont.

Begin Staining

Stained and Coated w/ Polyurithane

Installing Plastic Draining System

Putting together Door Frames

Stained Door Frame

Staining and Polyurithane Doors and Screen frames

Rough Pile of Grape Vine Wood (I've got extra. It's free if you wanna come get it!)

Mounted the Grape Wood

And the completed project:

Happy Ambilobe #1 (Name: John Ross "JR" Ewing Jr.)

Happy Ambilobe #2 (Name: Robert James "Bobby" Ewing)

Great cage! Must have taken you a long time and a lot of effort to build!:):D:):D I wish it was mine :( Those lucky chameleons. BTW those chameleons are beauties. I wish I had them too.

What type of lighting do you have in your setup?
I'm in the process of piecing together the same size setup for my Panther...

Great cage! Must have taken you a long time and a lot of effort to build!:):D:):D I wish it was mine :( Those lucky chameleons. BTW those chameleons are beauties. I wish I had them too.

Thanks shugo - I figure I've got about 150 hours into it.

Furniture grade. You sir, are a craftsman.

Thanks Mike. I wouldn't consider myself a craftsman just yet. I had to buy most of the tools I used while in the process of building it. Spent a lot of time on google learning how to do alot of that stuff; routing, framing doors, applying polyurithane, etc.

Man I wish I had that kind of carpentry talent. That thing is gorgeous!

Thank you. It really wasn't that hard to build. Just time consuming.

Awesome! Great job and workmanship! They have a fantastic home. :)

Thanks!

What type of lighting do you have in your setup?
I'm in the process of piecing together the same size setup for my Panther...

See the bullets at the beginning. The grow lights and light hood was bought from a grow store.

wow. great job! that is a very nice and professional looking enclosure. for a second, i saw the top of the first pic and was like...nice trash can! LOL.

wow. great job! that is a very nice and professional looking enclosure. for a second, i saw the top of the first pic and was like...nice trash can! LOL.

lol, thanks Rottsko. Yes, with the deep blue, it is a stunning trash can, lol.

Wow is right! Makes the brief plans in my head and on paper look amateurish! Also you learned all that off of google too, impressive, most impressive. I used to build stuff when I was a lot younger, and wasn't really allowed to touch the power tools, now I don't really have a need to build things but the woodworking bug has been biting me lately. My grandfather could build anything, my dad was ok. I hope I have skills like that, I used to be good in shop class and proper tools...will have to see.

:eek: beautiful beautiful beautiful! im working on something similar slowly but surely! haha.. this is quite a piece of art. those beautiful boys look VERY happy :D

wow amazing job!! I like the 'tie down straps as a clamp' for your doors.Also grats on the marriage ...I saw 'Just Married' on the back of that pickup :D

:eek: beautiful beautiful beautiful! im working on something similar slowly but surely! haha.. this is quite a piece of art. those beautiful boys look VERY happy :D

Thanks!

wow amazing job!! I like the 'tie down straps as a clamp' for your doors.Also grats on the marriage ...I saw 'Just Married' on the back of that pickup :D

That strap worked amazingly! I spend about 2 hours trying to put that frame together with corner clamps - while swearing, lol. I never could get it to snug up perfectly with the corner clamps. So i got online and found an idea to try that strap. It worked perfectly and easily!

Awesome JoB!!!! I bet the chams love it.

Thanks! They seem to like it. They're exploring the whole thing.

what a beautiful product!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom