Finding new pets in my kitchen

Daesie11

Chameleon Enthusiast
Where are my big people at I need to know how to best care for this dude

1E6F52CD-A5B2-4422-91AF-734F42552F53.jpeg

They like flying insects! I have a few that hang under my porch light to catch them. By her size i’d say she can easily handle flies. Might eat crickets or dubia but apparently they enjoy flying insects just as much as our chams do.
Yeah it’s abdomen is as thick as my pinky and as long as it as well. It’s a pretty hefty size! Do you know how to sex it? And is there anything specific I should make sure and give it as far as the enclosure?

That size will kill any house fly you catch, med-large crickets, spiders. Anything thats around the size of a cricket and moves basically if its wild. They are really cool to feed and watch. I catch them and feed once or twice for my little girl to watch, then let them go.

Yeah it’s abdomen is as thick as my pinky and as long as it as well. It’s a pretty hefty size! Do you know how to sex it? And is there anything specific I should make sure and give it as far as the enclosure?

It needs to be 2-3x its length so it can molt... although if its that long it may be full grown. They can get quite large. Thats all i know about them! A bioactive setup with a branch they can hang from to molt would prob be great

I think this one is a little too big for my guy right now. I wish I could find some smaller ones to feed off because I totally would!
I have an expo in town this weekend so I think I’m gonna pick up a nano exotera and put a small schefflera in it. I have plenty of Dubai to feed it and we always have house flies around. Maybe I can let him out to hunt the flies :LOL:

I think this one is a little too big for my guy right now. I wish I could find some smaller ones to feed off because I totally would!
I have an expo in town this weekend so I think I’m gonna pick up a nano exotera and put a small schefflera in it. I have plenty of Dubai to feed it and we always have house flies around. Maybe I can let him out to hunt the flies :LOL:

You can get a butterfly screen cage for around $15 on amazon. I use them for various bugs. Im switching to reptibreeze as i can find them, ut the butterfly cages have been great thus far

You can get a butterfly screen cage for around $15 on amazon. I use them for various bugs. Im switching to reptibreeze as i can find them, ut the butterfly cages have been great thus far
My biggest concern with that is that I have a cat and I feel like a butterfly cage would entice him too much whereas I already have a nano exotera at home for my tarantula that he pays no mind to lol

They can be trained. I don't know anything about that though and I'm sure you gotta have them as they are maturing. Incredibly smart and insanely accurate hunters.
Yeah I can’t wait to feed him. I wish I had an easy way of catching flies to feed to him

Is Bruce going to be a mother??? View attachment 248625
Congrats on the ootheca!!

You're lucky! Keep her alive and she will continue to lay fertilized ootheca! They only need to mate once in their lifetime to produce fertile eggs. I too finally found a Carolina lady and hoping I have the same luck as you.

Not sure what info you've gathered since this post, but when that thing hatches be ready for a whole bunch of itty bitty things that look like ghostly spiderCrickets. I use the 2oz deli cups to house a few young together, be warned they are cannibals. Your ooth can have anywhere from a few to a few hundred. Here a shot of them size wise for reference:

20191013_115736.jpg

Those may or may not be mantids... I just cant tell yet. But I have hatched Chinese ones and that's what they look like. That stick is about 1/4" thick.

If you need any info, let me know. I have been gathering as much info as I can on these Carolina mantids as they are one of the few legal ones.

Best wishes!

Congrats on the ootheca!!

You're lucky! Keep her alive and she will continue to lay fertilized ootheca! They only need to mate once in their lifetime to produce fertile eggs. I too finally found a Carolina lady and hoping I have the same luck as you.

Not sure what info you've gathered since this post, but when that thing hatches be ready for a whole bunch of itty bitty things that look like ghostly spiderCrickets. I use the 2oz deli cups to house a few young together, be warned they are cannibals. Your ooth can have anywhere from a few to a few hundred. Here a shot of them size wise for reference:

View attachment 248631

Those may or may not be mantids... I just cant tell yet. But I have hatched Chinese ones and that's what they look like. That stick is about 1/4" thick.

If you need any info, let me know. I have been gathering as much info as I can on these Carolina mantids as they are one of the few legal ones.

Best wishes!
Thank you! I read that I should give it a few days before I move the ootheca? I have tall deli cups that I can house them in, I can put the ootheca in there until it hatches then separate them, yes? How long does it usually take to hatch? Should I keep it in any specific sort of environment?

Back
Top Bottom