Finding new pets in my kitchen

Thank you! I read that I should give it a few days before I move the ootheca? I have tall deli cups that I can house them in, I can put the ootheca in there until it hatches then separate them, yes? How long does it usually take to hatch? Should I keep it in any specific sort of environment?
Ok... so:
You want to give it a few days and the outside will turn a darker brown [think a cascadia husk]. Once it hardens a bit you'll have to take a blade most likely and run it along the metal part underneath to separate it. You have some room before you get to the eggs. [The ootheca is a "spittle" used to protect and insulate the eggs]

Yes. A tall deli cup is great - it's what I use as well. Just be sure you get one with the fiber over the air holes... the hatchlings can fit through typical air holes. Once they hatch you have about a day or two before they will start to eat each other.

Since that ooth is pretty fresh, and you have "seasons" in Co... they typically will lay their ooth in fall and they hatch in spring, at least in nature that's the idea. You can keep it fairly tropical (70-80) and speed it up some. The typical hatch time is 14 weeks. I've had them hatch sooner, but then again I've never had one lay me an ooth and timed it. After a few weeks just check it nightly/morningly. When they hatch.... its fast and crazy!

I keep mine in with my chams/bugs and they just hang out at ambients. [Typically 76-78, 30-35% humidity]. I also stick a paper towel in the cup to give them something to grab... and gives a way to add humidity. Don't mind the beardie set up... I just put my chams to sleep and this is the only light i had handy!

20191014_195158.jpg

It kinda slid around as I stuck it under the light. You can actually attach the ooth to the container if you want. Its recommended to have them on the lid and zip tie them to the lid... but they can climb out through that small of a hole. I just leave it "cut side" down as though it were laid that way...

I think I got all of your questions... let me know if you need me to expand or have any others! (Sorry for so many words... its what I do.)

Ok... so:
You want to give it a few days and the outside will turn a darker brown [think a cascadia husk]. Once it hardens a bit you'll have to take a blade most likely and run it along the metal part underneath to separate it. You have some room before you get to the eggs. [The ootheca is a "spittle" used to protect and insulate the eggs]

Yes. A tall deli cup is great - it's what I use as well. Just be sure you get one with the fiber over the air holes... the hatchlings can fit through typical air holes. Once they hatch you have about a day or two before they will start to eat each other.

Since that ooth is pretty fresh, and you have "seasons" in Co... they typically will lay their ooth in fall and they hatch in spring, at least in nature that's the idea. You can keep it fairly tropical (70-80) and speed it up some. The typical hatch time is 14 weeks. I've had them hatch sooner, but then again I've never had one lay me an ooth and timed it. After a few weeks just check it nightly/morningly. When they hatch.... its fast and crazy!

I keep mine in with my chams/bugs and they just hang out at ambients. [Typically 76-78, 30-35% humidity]. I also stick a paper towel in the cup to give them something to grab... and gives a way to add humidity. Don't mind the beardie set up... I just put my chams to sleep and this is the only light i had handy!

View attachment 248632

It kinda slid around as I stuck it under the light. You can actually attach the ooth to the container if you want. Its recommended to have them on the lid and zip tie them to the lid... but they can climb out through that small of a hole. I just leave it "cut side" down as though it were laid that way...

I think I got all of your questions... let me know if you need me to expand or have any others! (Sorry for so many words... its what I do.)
No apologies, this is amazing thank you for all of the info!
So I read you are supposed to keep the ooth oriented the same way it was laid, is that important or will just putting it in the cup be enough? As for the cup, would putting mesh screen over the holes keep them in?

No apologies, this is amazing thank you for all of the info!
So I read you are supposed to keep the ooth oriented the same way it was laid, is that important or will just putting it in the cup be enough? As for the cup, would putting mesh screen over the holes keep them in?

Again for the cup, if you use a mesh... make sure it's like the panty hose style mesh. The hatchlings are smaller than ants... smaller than pin heads... and chances are there are about 200 in there.

Just so long as the "gills" aren't obstructed, you're fine. I've hatched them in multiple directions...
Funny story... when I first started this cham thing I started a small discoid colony. I used a cork flat and a round in a big bin with a small layer of soil. At that time my guy/gal wouldn't eat the roaches so i tucked them under a shelf and forgot about them. I'd toss a chunk of gut load or fruit/veg every now and then... but literally nothing beyond that. One day I decided I should try to feed them off... opened up the bin and FREAKED. The bin was INFESTED with what seemed like 1,000 mites or spiders. Long story short... my cork flat had an ootheca on it when I bought it from the shop. I didn't know what an ooth was and thought it was just decor. Ever since then I've been kickin myself in the keester because they were mantids. At the time I was so worried I just nuked the entire bin in a panic.

Also, a lot of people will use a Mason jar. Believe it or not there's enough air in there. I just prefer the deli cup since I have plenty.

Also should I providing some specific light or anything other than ambient day and night cycles??
Nah, I'm not sure light effects the ooth. In the story above, it was kept in the dark with my roaches face down in the dirt... lol. Otherwise, whatever cycle you have for your house or chams is fine. I personally mimic the sun as my chams are in front of a giant window... or on the porch. When the sun sets my girls will mimic the sunset... and they head for their sleepy time patch. I've been trying to get a photo of it... but I need to get out my DSLR as the phone lacks the technical ability to capture the sunset and cham colors.

Pretty sure you scored what was a pregnant Carolina Mantis, but full disclosure, I’m terrible at correctly identifying bugs. We catch them all the time down here. You’ve been given great advice, crickets are the most common feeder but honestly they are not picky eaters at all. Other than that just mist once a day with a 12 on 12 off heat cycle. Very cool find!

She look like any of these?
834BDBCB-9D17-4F4D-BE97-00BE341224A0.jpeg
7EB698F1-08E8-49F7-9181-7C7A77E15625.png

Pretty sure you scored what was a pregnant Carolina Mantis. We catch them all the time down here. You’ve been given great advice, crickets are the most common feeder but honestly they are not picky eaters at all. Other than that just mist once a day with a 12 on 12 off heat cycle. Very cool find!

View attachment 248638View attachment 248639
Lucky you... I am going bonkers trying to find a male in case my girl has never been fertilized. Too many people are scared to ship anything to Fl even though they're native and legal.

Nice finds between those and the katydids.... I may have to take a weekend drive across the gulf... so jealous :*(

Pretty sure you scored what was a pregnant Carolina Mantis, but full disclosure, I’m terrible at correctly identifying bugs. We catch them all the time down here. You’ve been given great advice, crickets are the most common feeder but honestly they are not picky eaters at all. Other than that just mist once a day with a 12 on 12 off heat cycle. Very cool find!

View attachment 248638View attachment 248639
Yes that’s Bruce!
I am really excited to have these babies. I kept this one as a pet because I felt it was too big for Pesto but I will definitely raise up these babies as feeders.
Do you have any idea how to sex them? I’ll probably try to keep a few and try to establish a stable breeding project with them!! I’ll probably be incredibly unsuccessful but a girl can dream!!

Again for the cup, if you use a mesh... make sure it's like the panty hose style mesh. The hatchlings are smaller than ants... smaller than pin heads... and chances are there are about 200 in there.

Just so long as the "gills" aren't obstructed, you're fine. I've hatched them in multiple directions...
Funny story... when I first started this cham thing I started a small discoid colony. I used a cork flat and a round in a big bin with a small layer of soil. At that time my guy/gal wouldn't eat the roaches so i tucked them under a shelf and forgot about them. I'd toss a chunk of gut load or fruit/veg every now and then... but literally nothing beyond that. One day I decided I should try to feed them off... opened up the bin and FREAKED. The bin was INFESTED with what seemed like 1,000 mites or spiders. Long story short... my cork flat had an ootheca on it when I bought it from the shop. I didn't know what an ooth was and thought it was just decor. Ever since then I've been kickin myself in the keester because they were mantids. At the time I was so worried I just nuked the entire bin in a panic.

Also, a lot of people will use a Mason jar. Believe it or not there's enough air in there. I just prefer the deli cup since I have plenty.
Mason jar with no air holes? The deli cups that I have don’t have any air holes I’ve just been poking my own with needles for my various bugs I’m keeping. I would probably rather use mason jars.. for aesthetic purposes :LOL:

Mason jar with no air holes? The deli cups that I have don’t have any air holes I’ve just been poking my own with needles for my various bugs I’m keeping. I would probably rather use mason jars.. for aesthetic purposes :LOL:
Yea.. that'll work. You could in theory add a hole or two... or just open the lid every week or so if you really feel the need.

To sex them... the females have "6 segments" on their "booty" ... have a wider "booty"... have wings that stop short of the end of their body... get bigger faster. EDIT: females CAN fly too when they are younger, but are less likely. As they get bigger their wings are too small to fly.

Males don't get much bigger than 2"max. They look malnourished compared to females. They can (and will) fly. Tend to be more active in general. Wings usually longer than the body. Have 8 segments.

You'll be able to tell once you see a side by side.

Yes that’s Bruce!
I am really excited to have these babies. I kept this one as a pet because I felt it was too big for Pesto but I will definitely raise up these babies as feeders.
Do you have any idea how to sex them? I’ll probably try to keep a few and try to establish a stable breeding project with them!! I’ll probably be incredibly unsuccessful but a girl can dream!!
Females have the wide abdomen, that’s about all I know lol.

Fresh hatched sacs make great prey for hatchlings!

Breeding large volumes of them is difficult as they are Cannibalistic from birth, need individual containers not long after hatching. But I’m sure with some trial and error you’ll figure it out. Good luck!

Mind if I jump in with some questions? I’m tempted by the idea of raising them but they seem to be a bit high maintenance as far as space and food go.

Once you have 100+ ant sized babies in the deli cup... how do you open it to feed them without a ton of escapes?

When it is time to seperate them, do you just shake them into containers and hopefully only get one or two?

The ants in MD are very small... I cant imagine them being smaller them then or pinheads! Incredible! Not saying they aren’t, just that it seems it would be difficult to wrangle them being so small.

Mind if I jump in with some questions? I’m tempted by the idea of raising them but they seem to be a bit high maintenance as far as space and food go.

Once you have 100+ ant sized babies in the deli cup... how do you open it to feed them without a ton of escapes?

When it is time to seperate them, do you just shake them into containers and hopefully only get one or two?

The ants in MD are very small... I cant imagine them being smaller them then or pinheads! Incredible! Not saying they aren’t, just that it seems it would be difficult to wrangle them being so small.
So once they hatch you have about a day to wrangle them before they cannibalize each other. You can also actually ALLOW them to eat each other to thin some out and provide a meal.

I split them from the big deli cup into the "2 oz" deli cups with lid. I set up the cups with a shred of FRESH leaf for eating/drinking.

To wrangle them I use a chopstick and peel them off into the deli cups. I get a few per cup and let the strongest survive.... and sometimes it's more than one. There are plenty so do this however many times you want a mantid. They stay in the big deli cup fairly well but as soon as the chopstick goes in they'll jump for it. If you have escapees you can usually find them as they age.... they are GREAT house guests... they eat all the pests and nasty spiders. Lol

But yea.. basically there are so many from an ooth that you're gonna have more than you want/need. Putting a few in each deli cup ensures they have a meal or two... not exactly for the faint of heart? Lol

Yeah I was planning on separating like 5 or so per cup and just letting the strongest survive. Lord knows I don’t need hundreds of mantids!! I’m also not even sure what I would feed them at that age so just letting them feed on each other seems the best option :LOL:

Yeah I was planning on separating like 5 or so per cup and just letting the strongest survive. Lord knows I don’t need hundreds of mantids!! I’m also not even sure what I would feed them at that age so just letting them feed on each other seems the best option :LOL:
Pretty sure that's what nature intended! Baby mantids are plentiful and seems like EVERYTHING feasts on the hatchlings. They're just so delicate and tiny... amazing how they turn into some of the best predators. I guess its payback for the hard lives they live, lol!

Any experience with ghost mantids? Apparently they can be housed together so long as food isnt scarce.

I don't have specific ghost experience. I've been working on getting one as well as an orchid mantis. They are both very eye catching in their own ways. Ghosts are fairly common and are "beginner friendly" [though I believe your current bug knowledge puts you above beginner]. You can house them together, but this can be said for all mantids. You can physically feed them to keep them from eating each other.... this is actually something you have to do to breed them if you want the male to survive. Sometimes the male will fly away on his own, but most times the female will grab his leg to prevent him from running away!

Last edited:
Pretty sure that's what nature intended! Baby mantids are plentiful and seems like EVERYTHING feasts on the hatchlings. They're just so delicate and tiny... amazing how they turn into some of the best predators. I guess its payback for the hard lives they live, lol!

I don't have specific ghost experience. I've been working on getting one as well as an orchid mantis. They are both very eye catching in their own ways. Ghosts are fairly common and are "beginner friendly" [though I believe your current bug knowledge puts you above beginner]. You can house them together, but this can be said for all mantids. You can physically feed them to keep them from eating each other.... this is actually something you have to do to breed them if you want the male to survive. Sometimes the male will fly away on his own, but most times the female will grab his leg to prevent him from running away!
How much should they eat to prevent them from feeding on each other, would you say? If I do end up successfully raising them up I would like to be able to try and mate them.

How much should they eat to prevent them from feeding on each other, would you say? If I do end up successfully raising them up I would like to be able to try and mate them.
Depends on the size of your girl and your choice feeder. Basically the idea is you keep a supply of food nearby and when shes done eating give her more. If she doesn't take it you just keep putting it in front of her until she does.... or until she "cat fights" it.

The general idea is for you to keep her engaged while the Male does his thing. Even with constant food in her face she can still try and "buck" the male before the deed is done. Once it's done he will either fly off or just dismount and beat feet.

I keep a few chopsticks [cheaper than the stainless 'probes'], hemostats [roach clips], and tweezers of varying sizes and shapes [don't want to use something pointed to try and pry her shields off... chopstick has just enough point to open her grasp].

For food I like crickets and smaller super/meal worms.

Keep in mind the male can fly... so either put them in something or use a room you can track him down. I use an old screened viv.

Back
Top Bottom