Finally, my first chameleon!!

I would like everyone to meet my new panther chameleon, Pesto! He is about 3 months old and a super curious and active boy. I picked him up today from Billy at Colorado Chameleons, he is brother to @CamoChameleonsHuman s boy Blue!
The first 2 pictures are in his new home, the other 2 were when we were picking him out. I already offered him a cricket just to calm him down and he took it from me immediately!

Congratulations, he's adorable! I LOVE his name too!

Day 2 update: I spent all day being a nervous wreck because Pesto only ate one dubia for me. I found that my basking light was way too strong, and I adjusted accordingly so everything us measuring properly! Pesto has been exploring his entire cage, but i was still nervous all day. I just set up a feeder cup to match @Beman suggestions, and I just watched him take a feeder from the cup! I know its later in the day than most people suggest, and I was actually about to go in and remove it when I saw him eat. So it may be late, but at least he is eating. A good day!
Oh yeah, and I found some beautiful poop today :ROFLMAO:

It's been a week since Pesto has been home! Although it's been a stressful and nervous time, I think he is finally starting to settle in, and so am i! Being a first time keeper I was sooooo anxious about doing EVERYTHING right and the smallest things were keeping me up at night. I think @CamoChameleonsHuman camo can attest to me being a nervous wreck :LOL:
Pesto is eating better every day that he is in his new home, which I take as a sign that he is starting to feel at home! He has a very apparent favorite basking spot (pictured) and a favorite hiding/sleeping spot. Of course, it's not in the beautifully grown pothos that I put in there for him, it's in a bundle of fake vines :rolleyes:
I havent been able to handle him yet, though today was the first day I tried to coax him out. We bad a beautiful sunny morning here in Denver and I wanted to get him some natural light. He had other plans.
He is a beautiful, grumpy boy and I love him so much! I cant wait to watch him grow and watch his colors develop.

Attachments

• 20190425_130734.jpg
    20190425_130734.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 189
It's been a week since Pesto has been home! Although it's been a stressful and nervous time, I think he is finally starting to settle in, and so am i! Being a first time keeper I was sooooo anxious about doing EVERYTHING right and the smallest things were keeping me up at night. I think @CamoChameleonsHuman camo can attest to me being a nervous wreck :LOL:
Pesto is eating better every day that he is in his new home, which I take as a sign that he is starting to feel at home! He has a very apparent favorite basking spot (pictured) and a favorite hiding/sleeping spot. Of course, it's not in the beautifully grown pothos that I put in there for him, it's in a bundle of fake vines :rolleyes:
I havent been able to handle him yet, though today was the first day I tried to coax him out. We bad a beautiful sunny morning here in Denver and I wanted to get him some natural light. He had other plans.
He is a beautiful, grumpy boy and I love him so much! I cant wait to watch him grow and watch his colors develop.
Glad I could help :) and so happy he's doing better!

He looks like a sweet little chameleon! How big will he get?
Well it depends on how much he eats and how much space he has to grow. And I intend to give him as much food as he wants and I am going to be upgrading his enclosure to a huge drangonstrand one when I move this fall. So hopefully if all goes well, he will be a monster!

Well it depends on how much he eats and how much space he has to grow. And I intend to give him as much food as he wants and I am going to be upgrading his enclosure to a huge drangonstrand one when I move this fall. So hopefully if all goes well, he will be a monster!
Also depends on sires size as well. If I was to guess I'd say his Dad was about 18" tail to nose.

We made a big step today! I stood in front of Pesto's open enclosure today for at least an hour. Literally just stood there while I watched TV. Didnt stare at him or bother him. Rather than run from me like he usually does, he actually came TOWARD me! He seemed to have been curious as to what in the world I was doing there. When ever I would turn toward him he would slowly back away, but would come forward again when I looked away. This gives me hope!
I forgot to mention that yesterday he ate his first horn worm. I placed it on a branch near him and he hunted it down. I think he has acquired a taste for them, because when I offered him one today I've never seen him move so fast! Of course, right before he went to strike he caught sight of me and lost focus :LOL:
Every day is progress and I am so proud of him!

We made a big step today! I stood in front of Pesto's open enclosure today for at least an hour. Literally just stood there while I watched TV. Didnt stare at him or bother him. Rather than run from me like he usually does, he actually came TOWARD me! He seemed to have been curious as to what in the world I was doing there. When ever I would turn toward him he would slowly back away, but would come forward again when I looked away. This gives me hope!
I forgot to mention that yesterday he ate his first horn worm. I placed it on a branch near him and he hunted it down. I think he has acquired a taste for them, because when I offered him one today I've never seen him move so fast! Of course, right before he went to strike he caught sight of me and lost focus :LOL:
Every day is progress and I am so proud of him!
Hornworms look tasty even to me... This is all great signs! As long as he keeps those darn eyes open during the day I think he will make the perfect companion for your family. Keep pictures coming of when he sheds or shows some cool colors!

Hornworms look tasty even to me... This is all great signs! As long as he keeps those darn eyes open during the day I think he will make the perfect companion for your family. Keep pictures coming of when he sheds or shows some cool colors!
He seems very alert and aware of his surroundings. I cant even creep on him from around the corner without him catching me when I had his door open a very unintelligent fly went in! I closed him in and watched Pesto hunt. The fly was a little too quick for him, but I think he enjoyed the hunt more than anything. Smart boy went to the highest point he could to have better vantage over his tree.
I will absolutely be posting pictures. I'm even thinking of installing a camera on his enclosure so I can watch him all day. Roughly how often should I expect sheds from him at this age?

Today is a beautiful day in Denver, and Pesto let me take him outside! He was definitely unsure of me, but once I got him in the sun he was clearly very happy. He got nice and dark to soak up all the sun and just sat on his stick I gave him. I wish I got pictures, but I was so nervous having him outside that I didnt want to take my eyes off him! We were only out there about 10 minutes, but it was 10 great minutes!

Updated picture of Pesto! He has been in my care for 3 weeks now. Every day he finds a new place to hide from me, it seems. I found him today cradled in a freshly opened pothos leaf like a little baby happy as can be. Of course, he ran away as soon as I took out my camera :rolleyes: I am expecting a shed from him soon, hoping I dont miss it! I love this little guy so much, it seems like he has been in my care for way more than 3 short weeks!
20190510_164537.jpg
20190510_164727.jpg

Back
Top Bottom