Finally laid eggs!

Eddie3187

Established Member
So... I was terrified about owning a female veiled chameleons because egg laying scares the hell out of me! However my female just laid her first clutch of eggs! She laid 39 eggs in total and it’s her first clutch. She is about a year old and has been showing her gravid colors for about a month now. I have a 12x12x12 egg laying bun in her enclosure and she hasn’t gone near it once. But she started to look slightly lump to me so I decided to put her in an egg laying bin. I got her a 16x16x24 bucket and filled it with organic soil and play sand. When I turned her light on this morning I gave her an hour to warm up under her basking bulb then placed her in the bin. I put her uvb over the bin and left her in there until she decided to dig. She attempted escape for about 3 hours before she decided to dig. 11 hours after I put her in she finally laid her eggs and buried the hole entirely. Everything went well and I’m so thankful there was no issues.
So bill strand is right! If your hurbandry is right there should be no issues with egg laying. I hope this helps people contemplating buying females of egg laying species

Attachments

• A401C03D-7D39-4D40-BE0A-AABF32A14293.jpeg
    A401C03D-7D39-4D40-BE0A-AABF32A14293.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 196
Thank you for your post,i think to do exactly the same thing. Now she is in her laying bin 400x400x400 mm laying bin. She is trying to escape, but i will be patient. Hope she will start to dig soon, because she is very very big. Also as you said, she has her gravid colors for more than month. I will post what is going on with her :)

So... I was terrified about owning a female veiled chameleons because egg laying scares the hell out of me! However my female just laid her first clutch of eggs! She laid 39 eggs in total and it’s her first clutch. She is about a year old and has been showing her gravid colors for about a month now. I have a 12x12x12 egg laying bun in her enclosure and she hasn’t gone near it once. But she started to look slightly lump to me so I decided to put her in an egg laying bin. I got her a 16x16x24 bucket and filled it with organic soil and play sand. When I turned her light on this morning I gave her an hour to warm up under her basking bulb then placed her in the bin. I put her uvb over the bin and left her in there until she decided to dig. She attempted escape for about 3 hours before she decided to dig. 11 hours after I put her in she finally laid her eggs and buried the hole entirely. Everything went well and I’m so thankful there was no issues.
So bill strand is right! If your hurbandry is right there should be no issues with egg laying. I hope this helps people contemplating buying females of egg laying species
So you put her in a laying bin outside of her cage? My female is gravid and she just had no interest whatsoever in her laying bin inside her cage. Maybe I should try keeping her in a bin. Just worried it would stress her too much

Yes I put her in a bin and but some screen over the top and placed her uvb strip on top of the screen and left her alone. She stayed in there all day but eventually laid her eggs

Back
Top Bottom