Finally done with his outside cage!

andrearamirezo91

Avid Member
Well, after a lot of hard work, a f*ck up and some damage control, my cage is finally ready! :D

I bought if off Amazon for 20 bucks. The measurements are 5ft tall and 2ft wide. It was falling appart and the wood was in really bad conditions. The screen was all torn as well. I reinforced it, changed the mesh and weatherproofed the wood. Now I just gotta wait for the hibiscus to grow a little. Anyone know if this is a fast growing plant? Can’t wait to let Mr. Burns in there tomorrow for the first time! :love:

E76528E5-7294-4BD2-9E44-488C00427C1B.png
4526A216-249E-4577-81EF-D856B39D733F.jpeg
CA3E1E4C-0BA3-4002-8989-C2BEB46F7937.jpeg
C516BCEC-5756-4B77-866B-ACC1F71C1918.jpeg

TALK ABOUT FAST! I was thrown off when I walked towards the cage and saw a red thing in there. This flower opened up in less than 10 hours! Now let’s just hope the actual plant grows fast too lol. There’s Mr. Burns on top, looking cute and little :love: He’s been looking around like crazy. There’s a lot of butterflies here and he’s in an area surrounded with plants so I’m sure he’ll be getting plenty of visual stimulation out there. He actually shot his tongue out at the water on top as I was taking these pictures, which is a huge thing for me because he barely even lets me see him eat. Shy little guy :rolleyes:

5C08D4BC-29D2-43A0-95F5-B73EA6428596.jpeg

3369FCE7-2803-4474-99E8-905FF36E1262.jpeg

AA2CA2BC-E85A-41DB-87FF-FBEB66ACBE36.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice job on redoing that enclosure! If the five hibiscus we planted in front of our east facing window are any indication, water/ light and lots of it and it should fill that cage in a few months. All five were three gallon pot sized with one being planted where a valley runs off a few months ago. That one is chest high while the rest are about waist high atm. We did mix in four bags of cow manure and four bags of top soil since I have the typical Fl sandy soil. No other fertilization has been done and I only water them with a sprinkler when I see the leaves droop a bit (like in your pics) which hasn't been often this time of year.

Looks happy!?

Lol, he’s not very happy when people are around period. Fired up as soon as I put the phone in front of him :ROFLMAO:

Nice job on redoing that enclosure! If the five hibiscus we planted in front of our east facing window are any indication, water/ light and lots of it and it should fill that cage in a few months. All five were three gallon pot sized with one being planted where a valley runs off a few months ago. That one is chest high while the rest are about waist high atm. We did mix in four bags of cow manure and four bags of top soil since I have the typical Fl sandy soil. No other fertilization has been done and I only water them with a sprinkler when I see the leaves droop a bit (like in your pics) which hasn't been often this time of year.

I had to replant them yesterday. They told me to wash off the roots a little before switching them to the organic soil. They definitely didn’t like the change. My schefflera suffered for a couple of days too when I did this but they quickly perked up so I’m hoping they’ll get better soon. :unsure:

I am gonna cut the sheets to size and then silicone them in. When they dry into place, I will install my dragon ledges which will further lock them into place. I'll show pictures when I'm done. I did this with my first cage but I used the PVC sheeting which was waaaaay more expensive.

Lol, he’s not very happy when people are around period. Fired up as soon as I put the phone in front of him :ROFLMAO:

I had to replant them yesterday. They told me to wash off the roots a little before switching them to the organic soil. They definitely didn’t like the change. My schefflera suffered for a couple of days too when I did this but they quickly perked up so I’m hoping they’ll get better soon. :unsure:

Odd that it affected the hibiscus like that. The two I put in Lola's plant box two days ago are still perky atm. Give it a good watering and it'll perk back up :D.

It's already been mentioned, but it bears repeating: water that hibiscus a lot! They are incredibly thirsty plants in the summer months and consistent water/light will be necessary to keep the flowers a-comin'. The flowers grow extremely fast, but only bloom for about a day or 2, before falling off and giving way to new buds. I absolutely love my hibiscus and feed off the flowers to my roomie's bearded dragons (who go nuts for them)

It's already been mentioned, but it bears repeating: water that hibiscus a lot! They are incredibly thirsty plants in the summer months and consistent water/light will be necessary to keep the flowers a-comin'. The flowers grow extremely fast, but only bloom for about a day or 2, before falling off and giving way to new buds. I absolutely love my hibiscus and feed off the flowers to my roomie's bearded dragons (who go nuts for them)

Well that’s a good thing because I plan on misting that cage a LOT. If anything my concern is drowning the poor thing :cautious:

Back
Top Bottom