Filtered water and reptisafe

Mike Peterson

Moved to a new house and noticed water not the best so now have a PUR water filter attachment on sink. It claims to filter chlorine amongst all the other chemicals and such. My question is do I still use Reptisafe in their water? If so same amount? Less? Just want best for my chams and haven't found definite answers to this yet.
Thanks!

Not sure anyone can answer that, you may need a PPM meter to know for sure? I have been using PUR filtered water since I got my panther with no issues. Though, I use the big jug not the tap filter.

If you're using a misting system or a humidifier the Pur filter will just screw you over. Look into the Zero Water pitcher. They sell them at Walmart. Uses ion exchange filter to remove all Dissolved Solids from your tap water.

Thanks Camo, I'm seeing mixed reviews online and in comparison articles for PUR, Brita and Zero the differences/benefits between each seem negligible. Whats the worst case scenario here, having to replace a mister nozzle every few years?

Go with Berky. The filter is so good, it can filter dirt water and make it safe. Thats a real filter.

Thanks Camo, I'm seeing mixed reviews online and in comparison articles for PUR, Brita and Zero the differences/benefits between each seem negligible. Whats the worst case scenario here, having to replace a mister nozzle every few years?
Or worse case scenario a Mistking pump itself. I've been using and testing my zero water pitcher for over a month now. No issues. Pur and Brita do not use ion exchange to filter their water. So things like Lead and chromium easily pass through the charcoal filters of those companies. The ion exchange filter of the Zero Water pitcher filters combined with its charcoal filtration takes that out almost completely. It's basically distilled water once you filter it through a Zero Water pitcher. YouTube has some awesome comparisons on these.

Yes.. I have been looking into the zero water products. Not worried about the upfront cost but lots of the reviews are saying the filters only last about a week of use.

So I am going to say Get RO :).

As to Zero, https://alkalinewatermachinesource.com/zero-water-vs-reverse-osmosis/

As to Berky, https://ecobluelife.com/berkey-purification-vs-reverse-osmosis-vs-distillation/

At the end of the day, nothing is ever going to beat RO or Distilled, a Single Filter, no matter how advanced they want to make it sound is NOT going to beat 4 or 5 filters, EVER, its just not possible. The Filter that Zero uses, is also available for RO systems. However, the reality is 0 TDS is not all that matters. All zero water is, is a DI filter, with a Charcoal Filter, both of which can be attached to RO. Base RO has the Charcoal, if you add DI it becomes RO-DI. The issue with the Zero is like just using a DI filter, it leaves Salt, it leaves bacteria, contaminants that are not mineral based, ect.

If you dont want to do a under sink install, there is portable ROs, that are easier and dont require that. Both of those articles, talk about them.

Even this 57 dollar portable RO, will destroy Zero Water, in Purity, and is easy to setup portable and cheap. https://www.amazon.com/3-Stage-Port...rtable+RO&qid=1587245085&s=home-garden&sr=1-5

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for posting cyberlocc. I think I am going to use this to build a chameleon reservoir filler filter, and then hook it up to my sink and use that to fill the bucket. It currently takes me hours since I have to wait for my PUR system to filter water at over an hour per gallon

Cool, thanks for posting cyberlocc. I think I am going to use this to build a chameleon reservoir filler filter, and then hook it up to my sink and use that to fill the bucket. It currently takes me hours since I have to wait for my PUR system to filter water at over an hour per gallon

So that portable one, is cheap. However its also going to be slow, if you want fast (depends how many cages your misting obviously) your going to want to look at better RO systems.

Bulk Reef Supply, sells RO units with Double Filter setups. This is good from 2 points, for 1 it doubles the speed you make water, so the base cheapest model is like 75 gallons per day, so it will make 75 gallons of water in 24 hours, so about 3 gallons an hour. However if you get the upgrade kit, it will process 6 gallons an hour, also the way they work also reduces the waste water. So normally waste water is about 1:3-5 to 1 ratio, with the double ROs its 1:1-2, so you waste less water as well.

Its also easier on your filters, so while you have 2, they dont need to be replaced that often, and usually the RO membrane only need replaced 1 time per year or 2 anyway. So a little bit more upfront, but will make up for it over time, in less waste and and the filters, cancel out pretty much.

Having a non pressurized storage tank, also reduces waste water BTW, so if you have a reservoir that is large, and free with a float and a stop, then filling that to stop doesn't waste as much as the Storage tanks do.

My res bucket is only 2 gallons so I don't need a lot. A full bucket lasts me around 1.5 weeks.

What do you mean by it does X amount per 24 hours? Doesn't water just flow through these in real-time? Or does the filtered water go into a holding tank?

My res bucket is only 2 gallons so I don't need a lot. A full bucket lasts me around 1.5 weeks.

What do you mean by it does X amount per 24 hours? Doesn't water just flow through these in real-time? Or does the filtered water go into a holding tank?

Depends how you set it up, Water does flow through these, but it does so very slowly. Thats why there is the storage tanks, it takes a lot of pressure and is slow to push water threw a ton of filters.

The pressurized water tanks, help to pressurize the faucet for undersink installs, but they apply back pressure to the system, which causes the filters to work harder, and causes more waste water to be expended. An empty tank, will not waste much, however a full tank, and you take a glass out, that pressure makes it harder so it wastes much more.

So best bet, if its Just for a cham room. Would be to hook the RO to the Misting bucket, with a Float Valve, or to just have like the portable with a valve you can open to fill it. the non pressurized tank will waste less water, but the water will be slow, so it will take time to fill the bucket. 50-75 gallons per day are most common, but bigger units are available. That number just means thats how fast, the water moves through the system. So take the number and divide by 24, and thats how fast water comes out per hour, so your 2 gallon reservoir with a 50gpd unit would take about 2 hours to fill.

I'm not sure that contaminants at that scale would break a pump, but clogging a nozzle I wouldn't be surprised with. You're pretty good at pitching this thing, are you getting a kick back? Just kidding, but you're right, the videos back this thing.

How long do the filters last? If I went this route I'd like get this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083KY2FZB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Haha I wish I was! It depends where you live and how crappy your tap water is. Mine tests at 200ppm usually and that's the average for the US. I get admit 30 gallons out of 1 filter.

Do you have the big 20/30 cup version? I was looking at it and it looks like the part you fill is much smaller than the part that holds the filtered water. With my PUR filter which is a similar type, the water fill part drains and fills the storage tank up to around 85%. With the Zero version, it looks like I'd need to re-fill it 2-3 times to fill up the filtered storage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083KY2FZB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Haha I wish I was! It depends where you live and how crappy your tap water is. Mine tests at 200ppm usually and that's the average for the US. I get admit 30 gallons out of 1 filter.

At 30 dollars for 2 filters, on Amazon. Thats going to cost WAY more than RO.

You may only have to pay 30 to get started, but thats insane pricing for filters.

Thats about 6 mknths per pack and a 1 year RO replace is only 30, and really thats if you use it all the time you can use the 1 year (2 filter changes) for 2 years if you are barely using it.

At 30 dollars for 2 filters, on Amazon. Thats going to cost WAY more than RO.

You may only have to pay 30 to get started, but thats insane pricing for filters.

Thats about 6 mknths per pack and a 1 year RO replace is only 30, and really thats if you use it all the time you can use the 1 year (2 filter changes) for 2 years if you are barely using it.
I buy in bulk on Ebay. Usually get 1 for $10. And I'm renting my house otherwise I'd go RO.

Yeah idk, may stick with PUR for now, I get 4 filters for around $30 and they last a while. I think the cost of a new MistKing pump and/or nozzles, if that even did occur which I think is unlikely, will still be a lot cheaper than maintaining those Zero filters. I've been running PUR water through Mist King now for around a year and a half with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom