Ficus

Sarge84

im looking at getting a focus for my viv, but not sure which one to get. I live in the uk and I’m finding it hard to find any. I want one with lots of branches for my little guy.

Ficus benjamina are awesome climbing trees for the chameleons. Lots of branches. On another note, its also the 3rd worse allegen producing plant besides dust and pets. Make sure nobody in the house is allergic to ficus benjamina (fig tree)

Ficus benjamina are awesome climbing trees for the chameleons. Lots of branches. On another note, its also the 3rd worse allegen producing plant besides dust and pets. Make sure nobody in the house is allergic to ficus benjamina (fig tree)
Be careful of the sap too, the milky looking sap can irritate skin.

Ficus ‘Ali ’ is a hardier ficus than benjamina, where as the latter is known for dropping leaves easily ( I’ve never had this problem ). If you provide a lot of light, l like Ficus microcarpa ‘Green Island Ficus’. All of the Ficus discussed can be severely pruned to train the canopy lower, so that it branches and leafs out at a smaller height and can be maintained in an enclosure indefinitely. l’m using all 3 in my parsons enclosures and all 3 are perfectly functional.l have 3 other Ficus species in that enclosure, that are unique and unusual.

Ficus ‘Ali ’ is a hardier ficus than benjamina, where as the latter is known for dropping leaves easily ( I’ve never had this problem ). If you provide a lot of light, l like Ficus microcarpa ‘Green Island Ficus’. All of the Ficus discussed can be severely pruned to train the canopy lower, so that it branches and leafs out at a smaller height and can be maintained in an enclosure indefinitely. l’m using all 3 in my parsons enclosures and all 3 are perfectly functional.l have 3 other Ficus species in that enclosure, that are unique and unusual.
Would it be possible to see some picture of them please.

I have a Ficus Alii in my enclosure, it's the big plant in the center.
encl3.jpg

I need something like that. Looks great. Can you get them so they fit a 3foot tall viv?

I'm sure you can, just ask your nursery to order one that size. You can also trim Ficus top and bottom, meaning you can trim the roots down and trim the branches without ill effect.

Back
Top Bottom