Ficus Trees

leopardboy193

I am getting a chameleon soon, and I have a big cage for him. I dont want to spend a lot of money getting plants for his cage so I was gonna buy a ficus tree. But I had a few questions. I was wondering if every ficus tree is okay for a chameleon because there are so many different kinds. Also they eat ficus trees so I was wondering how much do they eat of it and if ficus trees are the only plant type they can eat? Thanks for your help!

I am getting a chameleon soon, and I have a big cage for him. I dont want to spend a lot of money getting plants for his cage so I was gonna buy a ficus tree. But I had a few questions. I was wondering if every ficus tree is okay for a chameleon because there are so many different kinds. Also they eat ficus trees so I was wondering how much do they eat of it and if ficus trees are the only plant type they can eat? Thanks for your help!

A ficus is okay, as long as it isn't topiary style and has a good amount of branches to be climbed on the lower sections as well as the top.

They may eat some ficus, but it shouldn't be a problem. They shouldnt eat alot of it.

Chameleons eat live bugs. Some veileds may eat other greens, but usually, they just eat bugs.

If you really want to save on cheap plants, go with a shefflera, ficus, or a pothos.

A pothos is a great 5 dollar filler plant that can work along with the ficus to retain humidity and fill in open gaps.

Good luck.

What kind of cage is it?

What kind of chameleon? How old?

Okay I knew they ate bugs but new they ate ficus too and thanks for the other plants. The cage is made out of wood and is painted black with enamil paint and is completely screened otherwise and he is a veiled chameleon about 4 months old.

A ficus is okay, as long as it isn't topiary style and has a good amount of branches to be climbed on the lower sections as well as the top.

They may eat some ficus, but it shouldn't be a problem. They shouldnt eat alot of it.

Chameleons eat live bugs. Some veileds may eat other greens, but usually, they just eat bugs.

If you really want to save on cheap plants, go with a shefflera, ficus, or a pothos.

A pothos is a great 5 dollar filler plant that can work along with the ficus to retain humidity and fill in open gaps.

Good luck.

What kind of cage is it?

What kind of chameleon? How old?

I have heard that if you clip greens or flowers in the cage, he may or may not eat them. But, if you clip them and then spray them where he drinks he is more than likely to consume some of it. Then he might not feel the need to eat any of your plant.

I think he would be craving something in the plant like fiber or vitamins, or just moisture. Somewhat like a dog who eats a lot of grass.

my veiled eats a decent amount of the umbrella plant that I have in his viv, I havent seen anything abnormal but ive heard people say that its an indication that he isnt getting enough water.

I recently put some cucumbers peeled and quartered on a stick and he went bananas eating them! I have also tried Tomatoes which he did not like celery which he did not like but he has eaten the tops of asparagus!

I initially went to this page to see if Ficus were safe for him because I'm going to put one in his cage or I may go with a schefflera if I can find one that'll fit.

Make sure you get a ficus benjamina(weeping fig)

Back
Top Bottom