ficus question

bleudolphin

I have 3 ficus trees in my enclosure. They are loosing all there leaves. I have been making sure that they get watered. They do seem to wet. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? These were not cheap. Help

Are they indoors, and can they receive any natural sunlight? I couldn't keep a ficus alive inside for the life of me, they just drop their leaves everywhere, but have success with a small one in my outside cage. Don't think that over watering would be an issue. I believe Dank had a really good suggestion about alternating your plants between outside and in to keep them in good shape!

Last edited:
They do not get sunlight. Where I have my cage it gets no sun. I hate to find different plants because they love their trees.

if they arent drying out in between waterings you may very well just be watering it to much. if they are new it could simply be that they are under different light and that can cause them to drop their leaves. if that is the case you just need to wait it out. they also take a lot of light so if you have 3 trees in one cage it may be that you have them to close to one another.these trees also dont like direct hot light it burns their leaves very easy.

Last edited:
two suggestions, a. replant your plants with gravel at the bottom so the roots don't sit in there own moisture dankness, also mix in a bit of perlite(white styrofoam type balls in plant medium) with your new batch of soil when you repot. and b. as lbesok suggested, alternate plants but however.... make sure you keep your plants raised off the ground and not so moist when outdoors...give them very little water only what they need as to not attract unwanted medium dwelling bugs....most people will over look them but there are all sorts of problem pests that love to live in wet soil medium, most notably the fungus gnat :eek:

I found a simple cure.....well it was a $40.00 cure anyway!! I went and purchased an ESU t-5 plant light fixture from the pet shop!! It is used on fresh water planted fish aquariums but works AWESOME on house plants!! Here is a pic of my set up!!

Last edited:
that sounds good for the plants, maybe i'm just scared of my own shadow, but I'd be scared to put my chams under a foriegn light source with all this scare of killing your chams with lights!

Back
Top Bottom