fiberglass mesh question...

rachelk

Is there a problem with using fiberglass mesh (yano like screen door mesh)? I found a website that says it is not recommended..but it does not say why? I'm adding on to my cage and I was going to use it because it is softer than other mesh I have found, the top of my cage is screened in by metal screen which has scrapped up my veiled's tip of the mouth before :(, so that's why I wanted to use the fiberglass mesh..

It will not stand up to heat, and prolonged wear and tear, as aluminum screen does. Perhaps most importantly, crickets can, and will, chew right through it. There seems no perfect solution :(

hmm..ok, well then what is the best type of screen to use? Something in between metal mesh and fiber glass mesh?

Since fiberglass mesh does no stand up to heat will it be ok just for the sides of the cage? i will be using metal screen for the top where the lights will be on.

So long as you have a way to address the cricket break-out issue, I think that would be a good way to go. However, if you use crickets, a few always end up loose in the cage, and they will cut a nice hole right through the fiberglass, kind of a "cricket jail break".

So long as you have a way to address the cricket break-out issue, I think that would be a good way to go. However, if you use crickets, a few always end up loose in the cage, and they will cut a nice hole right through the fiberglass, kind of a "cricket jail break".

ummmm has this happened to you with the fiberglass that the crickets do get outl... im breeding them and have 1000+ crickets in a bin with mesh sides ( fiber glass) and non have chewed through it..... how often and long does it take them????

ummmm has this happened to you with the fiberglass that the crickets do get outl... im breeding them and have 1000+ crickets in a bin with mesh sides ( fiber glass) and non have chewed through it..... how often and long does it take them????

ok i quote and kick my self in the face.... i just went to look at my colonie and those bas**** already got through the eg laying basin tops..... i gotta run to home depot..... thanks OP.

pet screen which is soft plastic, but if you place it on the outside metal wont be able to cut your cham

Plastic and fiberglass mesh/screen will not hold up against the crickets. Fiberglass mesh will also be harmfull to your chams feet as they get caught in it. If I was looking for a "softer" material I would look for plastic coated mesh (like already suggested) or I might try a can of enamel that is ok around heat. (like oven paint) There are spray paints out there that are meant for plastic which are flexable which may be a better selection. Either way I would try it on a peice of screen first and see how it holds up before putting it in the cage.

Back
Top Bottom