Few questions about the Panther Chameleon

DABRUTE

Has then been asked? I'm a noob and i'm interested in getting one! Do females or males get bigger? Are they all the same morph? Can you house them together? What is the average size enclosure? Thanks

Males get bigger.

Males have the brighter colors.

Females lay eggs even when not bred.

No you cannot house them together.

Panthers are not the same, you have different locales, such as ambilobe, ambanja, sambava, nosey faly, nosey be, etc. (same species, different colors and slightly different physical characteristics, as well as from different parts of Madagascar)

adult males need a 2x2x4 foot cage.

Adult females can do with one slightly smaller, but they need their lay bucket.

no males are larger than the females. No you cannot house them together. For the first couple of months as babies and that is about it. There are many different locales as they are called which determines their coloring. I use like a 16 X 16 X30 for a baby. A juvi I have used an 18 X 30 X36 and adults the preferred size is 24 X 24 X48

Yep that cage is fine too.

I had a smaller reptibreeze and it's the same quality as any other cage brand.

Just keep in mind BIG cages will kind of wobble and be sort of flimsy due to them being mainly screen and 10% skeleton..

I really like DIY cages brand though because they have these fancy little latches on them instead of the plastic latches..

I currently have an LLL I believe. All good cages.

B grade cages you can find are VERY cheap but may come with a slight defect

Last edited by a moderator:
How fast do they grow? I wanted to get cage that it can just grow in..I don't want to keep buying cages lol But i'm new to this and i see the panther cost a good penny.

By the time they are a year old, they should be close to full grown.

However, they can continue to grow until they are older than 2 years old.

by the time my boys were 6-8 months old, they all needed their adult cages.

what do you all think about this size?

http://www.diycages.com/15201/34001.html

The 36 tall DIY is a good one too. I have a few adult males housed in that size and it works out great. Just make sure to fill the space with plenty of climbing opportunities if you start out with a baby. I use natural branches and zip ties.

I dont know anyone who doesnt worry about the money,lol. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

The 36 tall DIY is a good one too. I have a few adult males housed in that size and it works out great. Just make sure to fill the space with plenty of climbing opportunities if you start out with a baby. I use natural branches and zip ties.

I dont know anyone who doesnt worry about the money,lol. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

Where is a good place to get natural branches and zip ties? Also what type of plant should be used to put in the center?

Where is a good place to get natural branches and zip ties? Also what type of plant should be used to put in the center?

I use hanging pothos in most of my cages. They grow well in low light with regular watering and are safe for chams. Hanging keeps the bottom free to clean out poop as oppose to having a planter sitting on the bottom of the cage.

The branches I use are from my crape myrtles in our yard. They have a natural twist to them that makes ideal for cage setups. I bake the branches in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes or so to get rid of mites, spiders, ants, etc. Then I wash them thoroughly to take off loose debris they might try to chew on.

I have an album showing some cage setups for babies on the Facebook link in my signature if you care to look. Might help to get a visual.

Back
Top Bottom