Few basic questions for a rescued baby veiled

BruceV18

Hello! My name's Bruce, and I'm new here. I'm 23, and I generally keep frogs, (african Bullfrogs to be precise). I also have a Grey Treefrog, a Pacman frog, and a Western Hognose Snake. Very active member in the Frog Forum of theres anyone on here from there!
My friend a few hours away (also keeps frogs) was given a baby Veiled Cham today, and she had NO idea how to take care of reptiles at all, only amphibians. (The thought of keeping no water dish in the tank made her head spin!)

Anyway, she's giving him/her to me next week, and I've done some basic research, but I figured I should check my knowledge with people who have much more experience than I with these awesome animals! So, check list time!

12"x12"x18 wired mesh tank
dripper
dubias, superworms, and crickets as feeders
Repashy Calcium Plus as supplement
Basking spot of 85-92F
Ambient temps of 72-78F
Nighttime drop down to mid/high 60's
No water dish, no substrate, no waterfalls
Climbing branches/vines (I can get some live Pathos from a local greenhouse... anything else they like to climb on?)
UVB reptisun 5.0 tube light
Humidity? Not sure about the requirements with this... used to trying to keep 70-80% with the frogs, haha!

This is about all I'm aware of. She's sending me pics of the little one soon. She said he/she is only about 2". She's rescued frogs from this pet store, and the workers there love her. Any time they get an animal they don't know if they can care for they just give it to her, lol!
The petstore doesn't know if the cham is eating or not, or if he/she is sick or not. How can I tell if something is abnormal? not even sure that "normal" is with these guys!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks all!

Disregard this... She's just called me and told me the poor guy was put down by the vet... terrible eye infection :(

I would still like to know this information though. I will be getting one someday, just a matter of when!

Awww man that sucks hopefully you can get a cham someday though as they are really cool. I can give a link to a care sheet for a veiled but there are different species you can get most will recommend a veiled as a beginner but i don't see no problem with getting a little more advanced cham as long as you do your research on the species but ill just give a veiled care sheet for now

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Hi Bruce. Sorry to hear the little one did not make it! Everything you stated for set up sounds good. The only thing I would say is not keeping the humidity that high. 50% is a good medium with spikes when you mist. You really don't need it to be a constantly high. As far as getting a chameleon, here is some good info for you to read and what to look for when purchasing or if by chance you are given one from someone. You have come to the right place when you decide to become an owner. You will learn everything you need to know from this forum.
Here is the link for you: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/purchasing/ As far as diet, I would opt for silkworms instead of supers and be sure and gutload(feed your feeders well). Also, I would get a 16 X 16 X 30. It can house a baby and even a small juvenile.

Hi Bruce. Sorry to hear the little one did not make it! Everything you stated for set up sounds good. The only thing I would say is not keeping the humidity that high. 50% is a good medium with spikes when you mist. You really don't need it to be a constantly high. As far as getting a chameleon, here is some good info for you to read and what to look for when purchasing or if by chance you are given one from someone. You have come to the right place when you decide to become an owner. You will learn everything you need to know from this forum.
Here is the link for you: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/purchasing/ As far as diet, I would opt for silkworms instead of supers and be sure and gutload(feed your feeders well). Also, I would get a 16 X 16 X 30. It can house a baby and even a small juvenile.

Thank you all so much for the info! I love the colors on a Panther... I held an adult at the hamburg reptile expo last October. It was then that I've had an itch to get one..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367014079.957793.jpg
I'll probably start with a veiled though... I heard they were easier, plus they're a bit cheaper and I'm on that student loan budget!

These cages seem pretty straight forward, enough to build one. Any pages on here I should look at for building my own?

Paul, Veilds are pretty much the same care as Panthers. They are both good chameleons to start "the addiction" with! ha!!! But yes, Veilds are much cheaper, but also very beautiful! just search under enclosures and you should find any info you are looking for.

Bruce, I'm so sorry to hear about your soon to be chameleon being put down. It's always hard to hear that about the little ones. There are many types of plants that can be used in the habitat you want to build. Pothos are good, hibiscus are great (if you have any luck with them), Ficus Benjimina is good, Schefflera or umbrella tree is good. I also have a list of usable chameleon plants here: http://www.cleanlinechameleons.com/safe-plant-list/ just remember to cover all potting soil with large rocks so he/she can't eat any. Remember if you get a veiled they will eat the plants inside their enclosure, they like fruits and veggies so make sure they get them or they might destroy your entire set up. XD though they might do it anyway.

I also agree with getting silks or hornworms instead of supers because the nutrition value in supers is very low. They are mostly exo and fat. They are also usually addicting for the cham's who eat them.

Good luck when you get your chameleon ^^

Thanks for that list! Big help! I think I'm gunna use this this time to build 2 enclosures. One for when he's small and one for an adult. I'll definitely trade them out. My bullfrogs love the supers as an occasional treat, so I keep a dozen or so handy for an off feeding now and then.

Had no idea chams ate plant material... Thought they were strictly carnivorous, that's interesting to know!

Here is a link to the care sheets as well. Just select whichever one you want to look into more.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/

Not all chams eat plant material. I think it might just be the veiled chams.

I've been thumbing through the forum. The more I think about the room I have the more I lean towards pigmy chams. Is there a link I should read about building an enclosure?
If it helps with building materials and whatnot, I live in Northeast PA, gets pretty cold around here sometimes, lol!

Back
Top Bottom