Ferdy Skunk is home!

lysinlight87

Thought I'd start a fresh thread :)

We brought Ferdy home on Monday. As predicted, being hand-reared has made him very tame & he's settled very quickly. At first he would cry when I put him to bed but now he doesn't mind.

He is litter trained but has had a couple of accidents, wooden floors make for easy cleaning though. His favourite food is petit filous with mixed berries and veggies. He loves stomping in his water dish and scattering his food everywhere. He is playful like a kitten, and likes to play using his teeth. His teeth are sharp so I discourage him biting us and allow him to chew a soft toy instead. His sleeps with a large cuddly toy cos he gets lonely but also enjoys sleeping on our laps.

No, he hasn't sprayed...but Yes, he does stink! lol He smells like garlic and burned onions, we'll have to get an air freshener. He should smell nicer as he grows.

To my surprise, my cat is scared of him and barely comes in the house at the moment. I hope he gets used to him. Ferdy couldn't care less.

1013169_608883199145579_1711872418_n.jpg

Awwww so cute! i dont get why people are so disgusted by the pet ones. Is that brown and white one yours too?

Awwwwww, I'm so glad to see some more Ferdy!!!! he looks like has adjusting well with him new family!
The video worked great! I love seeing them and look forward to seeing lots of more ??? :)
Watching all of the petting made me wonder what his fur feels like.. Is it soft like a long haired cat or a bit courser?

You also mentioned that he smelled like garlic,, I love the way garlic smells! What causes him to have that odor and why will it gomaway as he gets older?

Thanks,, lisa

Watching all of the petting made me wonder what his fur feels like.. Is it soft like a long haired cat or a bit courser?
You also mentioned that he smelled like garlic,, I love the way garlic smells! What causes him to have that odor and why will it gomaway as he gets older?

His fur is course, like some dogs.

This isn't a great garlic smell lol, especially in the morning! He smells that way because his stink glands are still developing & they leak a little, especially when he plays. Once he's grown it shouldn't be as strong. I can think of worse smells though!

His fur is course, like some dogs.

This isn't a great garlic smell lol, especially in the morning! He smells that way because his stink glands are still developing & they leak a little, especially when he plays. Once he's grown it shouldn't be as strong. I can think of worse smells though!

Thanks for the answers Rebecca!

And I agree, there are some pretty wicked smells out there!!!!

Here's another question, how long do skunks live?

I've been waiting to see pictures of when Ferdy was in his new home! He looks like such a happy little fellow. He sure has grown since those first pics! That video is adorable.

Deb

Omg shut up! He's flippin adorable!! Is he wearing a life jacket or just a vest? Either way, that's one of the cutest things I've seen all day!

Glad to see that Ferdy is adjusting well! He looks so cute! Best of luck and I hope the cat gets over it soon! ;)

I hope my cat gets over too, especially as I'm bringing home a tegu soon. I'm worried he might move out.

Ferdy has been causing mayhem for 3 hours and is finally tired out

1016894_609933755707190_1819657865_n.jpg

Congrats - I'm so happy that Ferdy is now home with you! Are you planning on taking him for walks - hence the ferret harness? You would probably get quite a wide berth on the sidewalks, that's for sure! Best of luck with him, the cat, and your new tegu! :D

Thank u! We'll take him out for walks once he's had he vaccinations and we need to think about the public liability insurance lol

Awww! You are living one of my childhood dreams! I've always wanted a pet skunk. Ferdy is gorgeous. <3

Back
Top Bottom