Female veiled / New Enclosure

She is still pretty new to me owning her, but everytime I walk next to the cage to check on her she runs and hides. I also have been seeing kind of a zebra like pattern appearing when she gets like this is that okay?

That is stress, you are viewed as a predator. Best thing to do is leave her alone for the first few weeks and make sure her viv is packed with foliage so she has plenty of hides.

That is stress, you are viewed as a predator. Best thing to do is leave her alone for the first few weeks and make sure her viv is packed with foliage so she has plenty of hides.
Okay thanks, I try not to get close to her accept I wanted pictures where people could see her actual size to make sure she was good.
I will make sure not get to close again.
Also I have plenty of leaves in the cage and have ordered more vines for her to climb on so they should be here by Monday.

If you are going to make your own enclosure for your chameleon, I would try to make it wider if possible just so there is more usable space. Also, I think 2 minutes at a shot for the Monsoon is a bit too much for a veiled, especially in that enclosure. Also, definitely NOT gravid.

What I would do is figure out what size enclosure you are going to want and build the lights around that. You want to use T5 HO linear bulbs for UVB and can also use 6500k tubes for your plants. For basking, there are a few options out there, but a regular incandescent bulb will do the trick. The wattage depends on the desired temps at the basking site. Start with a 60 watt and see what temps you get. After that, I would consider if you want to upgrade to a MistKing system for watering. They have a much finer mist than the Monsoon and are more reliable. You may even want to think about using a humidifier at night. Here's a link to what I am using along with regular misting during the day...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-humidifier-to-test-the-naturalistic-approach.165524/

Also some pictures in my enclosure album...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/zaphods-enclosure.2071/

If you are going to make your own enclosure for your chameleon, I would try to make it wider if possible just so there is more usable space. Also, I think 2 minutes at a shot for the Monsoon is a bit too much for a veiled, especially in that enclosure. Also, definitely NOT gravid.

What I would do is figure out what size enclosure you are going to want and build the lights around that. You want to use T5 HO linear bulbs for UVB and can also use 6500k tubes for your plants. For basking, there are a few options out there, but a regular incandescent bulb will do the trick. The wattage depends on the desired temps at the basking site. Start with a 60 watt and see what temps you get. After that, I would consider if you want to upgrade to a MistKing system for watering. They have a much finer mist than the Monsoon and are more reliable. You may even want to think about using a humidifier at night. Here's a link to what I am using along with regular misting during the day...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-humidifier-to-test-the-naturalistic-approach.165524/

Also some pictures in my enclosure album...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/zaphods-enclosure.2071/
What do you recommend I set my monsoon at, i had it at just like 20ish seconds and someone else told me it needed to be way longer :(

What do you recommend I set my monsoon at, i had it at just like 20ish seconds and someone else told me it needed to be way longer :(

When I had my veiled I used to set my mister for a few short (20-30 seconds) mistings and one longer session (about 2 minutes). The idea with a veiled is they are from more semi-arid conditions and don't need extended high humidity. Many will not even drink from the misting and will run and seek shelter. Often animals in the wild do the very same thing. The idea is that the humidity will spike after a misting and gradually drop again. Much of the hydration needs are met from eating their prey and actually even while they are sleeping. The idea is that in the wild the humidity levels will actually rise as the temps drop. I have been doing this for a while with a fogger and the results have been great. There are some who do not mist at all (I don't like this approach). I like to offer an opportunity for my animals to rinse out their eyes or take a drink if they want, so I still do misting during the day.

As Zaphod got older he did actually like to drink and I would set the timer for a few longer sessions so he could drink more. I'm sure it had to do with his body needing help flushing toxins due to his age, but have no proof to back that statement up.

When I had my veiled I used to set my mister for a few short (20-30 seconds) mistings and one longer session (about 2 minutes). The idea with a veiled is they are from more semi-arid conditions and don't need extended high humidity. Many will not even drink from the misting and will run and seek shelter. Often animals in the wild do the very same thing. The idea is that the humidity will spike after a misting and gradually drop again. Much of the hydration needs are met from eating their prey and actually even while they are sleeping. The idea is that in the wild the humidity levels will actually rise as the temps drop. I have been doing this for a while with a fogger and the results have been great. There are some who do not mist at all (I don't like this approach). I like to offer an opportunity for my animals to rinse out their eyes or take a drink if they want, so I still do misting during the day.

As Zaphod got older he did actually like to drink and I would set the timer for a few longer sessions so he could drink more. I'm sure it had to do with his body needing help flushing toxins due to his age, but have no proof to back that statement up.
Hmmm, okay I will definitely go back to lowering it again for now and after I start setting up a new enclosure for her I'll look into the fogger idea. I went and read your posts on it . I just want to try and do whatever is best for her so will definitely look into it.

There are a lot of people doing the fogging now, and although there is some debate, if done correctly it definitely resembles what happens in natural settings.

There are a lot of people doing the fogging now, and although there is some debate, if done correctly it definitely resembles what happens in natural settings.
Yeah before I start doing it I will definitely do more research and probably try to get ahold of you again so you can help me with the process.

I think my current goal is to get a better setup for her with more stuff to climb on which is already underway. Second I think I need to do better research now on diet and feeding. Then after that I will look into the fogging process.

I honestly thought for awhile I had done enough research to get one, but I have come to learn that I was extremely mistaken ...

Yeah before I start doing it I will definitely do more research and probably try to get ahold of you again so you can help me with the process.

I think my current goal is to get a better setup for her with more stuff to climb on which is already underway. Second I think I need to do better research now on diet and feeding. Then after that I will look into the fogging process.

I honestly thought for awhile I had done enough research to get one, but I have come to learn that I was extremely mistaken ...

I am still researching now because we are never done learning about these wonderful creatures!

Feel free to ask whatever you need to know and I'll be glad to help!

Ugh so got out of the shower to see her this color :( she was on the bottom of the cage anyone know what this could be?
20181003_183952.jpg

@Decadancin

Back
Top Bottom