Female Veiled LOVES Handling

VeiledLily

In all my research of veiled chams it never fails to read somewhere that they don’t like to be handled often and are more of a “just look at me” pet BUT Lily absolutely loves being handled. When she sees me she will come to the door and hang on and get my attention until I put my hand in for her to climb up my arm and chill. She is 7 months at this point.

I’ve also had her since she was two weeks old and I’ve handled her daily so I’m not sure if this might be why she’s more tame?

4BB5558B-4CB7-4656-855B-F484DEBF6BF7.jpeg

Two Week Old Lily

Is this more common than not? Does your cham also like being handled? And what breed?

In all my research of veiled chams it never fails to read somewhere that they don’t like to be handled often and more of a “just look at me” pet BUT Lily absolutely loves being handled. When she sees me she will come to the door and hang on and get my attention until I put my hand in for her to climb up my arm and chill. She is 7 months at this point.

I’ve also had her since she was two weeks old and I’ve handled her daily so I’m not sure if this might be why she’s more tame?

View attachment 312300
Two Week Old Lily

Is this more common than not? Does your cham also like being handled? And what breed?

I think we should honestly and openly try to understand why the cham is friendly. There will be people who come out and say these guys have lizard brains and are incapable of thought or emotion... that's definitely true for a few of my guys. But I do believe they have some level of thought, trust, attachment, desire, etc. Not on a human level, but there is more to them than eat, poop, sleep.

I have a male Veiled and a male Panther who are both VERY docile and VERY outgoing. They, too, try to get my attention every day to come out of their enclosures. Most everyone else is content in their enclosure and would prefer I just stop looking at them... but these two boys really enjoy coming out. As much as it flatters me, and as much as I absolutely love it when they run up my arm... I know that they want out becaue they are looking for something better. They both really enjoy free ranging, to the extent that they are now unhappy in their enclosure, no matter how big or how lush. Charlie, the Veiled, loves to look outside. Its all he wants to do... he is so content when he is in the window that he doesn't look at me, or look behind him, even if I bump his tree. He just stares longingly at the big trees, teh birds, etc. It actually makes me sad. He totally trusts me in his presence... but when he is reaching for me, its because he's got big plans, and I'm his Uber. The same is true for Donnie, although I think he doesn't know exactly what he wants... he just wants out. Maybe outside, maybe not. Maybe free range, maybe not. Maybe wants the plant room tour, maybe not. But he definitely wants something. Because of this, I'm working on setting up permanent free-range "enclosures" for them... to be able to safely live outside their enclosure (no easy task).

I think you are fortunate to have such a sweet little lady. My female veiled is the ONLY aggressive one in the bunch (although she is sweet as pie when I have food). She does NOT want to be touched, and I respect her wishes under penalty of death. I would try to take an honest look at the experience, though, and try to understand what her goal is. She clearly trusts you! But she has ulterior motives. Perhaps there is something in her cage she doesn't like, or maybe she is like my two boys and just doesn't like being caged at all. Maybe she likes feeling really tall on your shoulders, or maybe she is super curious! Since she enjoys coming out, I would try to set up a free range tree for her to play on (safely), maybe in a window to look out of. She'll still come to you (maybe even more), but she'll also likely achieve whatever reward it is thats driving her to come out. It is very rewarding, to me, to try to interpret what they want and then give it to them.

I think we should honestly and openly try to understand why the cham is friendly. There will be people who come out and say these guys have lizard brains and are incapable of thought or emotion... that's definitely true for a few of my guys. But I do believe they have some level of thought, trust, attachment, desire, etc. Not on a human level, but there is more to them than eat, poop, sleep.

I have a male Veiled and a male Panther who are both VERY docile and VERY outgoing. They, too, try to get my attention every day to come out of their enclosures. Most everyone else is content in their enclosure and would prefer I just stop looking at them... but these two boys really enjoy coming out. As much as it flatters me, and as much as I absolutely love it when they run up my arm... I know that they want out becaue they are looking for something better. They both really enjoy free ranging, to the extent that they are now unhappy in their enclosure, no matter how big or how lush. Charlie, the Veiled, loves to look outside. Its all he wants to do... he is so content when he is in the window that he doesn't look at me, or look behind him, even if I bump his tree. He just stares longingly at the big trees, teh birds, etc. It actually makes me sad. He totally trusts me in his presence... but when he is reaching for me, its because he's got big plans, and I'm his Uber. The same is true for Donnie, although I think he doesn't know exactly what he wants... he just wants out. Maybe outside, maybe not. Maybe free range, maybe not. Maybe wants the plant room tour, maybe not. But he definitely wants something. Because of this, I'm working on setting up permanent free-range "enclosures" for them... to be able to safely live outside their enclosure (no easy task).

I think you are fortunate to have such a sweet little lady. My female veiled is the ONLY aggressive one in the bunch (although she is sweet as pie when I have food). She does NOT want to be touched, and I respect her wishes under penalty of death. I would try to take an honest look at the experience, though, and try to understand what her goal is. She clearly trusts you! But she has ulterior motives. Perhaps there is something in her cage she doesn't like, or maybe she is like my two boys and just doesn't like being caged at all. Maybe she likes feeling really tall on your shoulders, or maybe she is super curious! Since she enjoys coming out, I would try to set up a free range tree for her to play on (safely), maybe in a window to look out of. She'll still come to you (maybe even more), but she'll also likely achieve whatever reward it is thats driving her to come out. It is very rewarding, to me, to try to interpret what they want and then give it to them.
I do actually have a tree I let her hangout on for a couple hours while I do house work and things and I check on her often AND the tree is usually in sunlight bc I placed it by a good window. It’s interesting because I always thought she had ulterior motives but she will curl her tail all the way up and just lay on my arm/hands. We are an Uber for them for sure! Lily’s enclosure is beautiful. I have a real tree also in there too among plants I hung on the screen.
My fiancé and I live together and he has Lily’s brother named Ula, he’s very beautiful but not friendly. He actually bit him the other day but I think he startled him when he was waking.

Totally agree with everything Snitz427 said--- Much better than I can put in words.(y)

If you really believe she likes it. Place her outside on a tree and come back in 1 hour. We will see how much they like being handled. :cool: (y)

Please don't do that. I am such a sucker for placing human feelings with wild animal/or captive bred, but given the true choice I would bet on the escape. That being said--- she might do as you say.. Just not in my experience- EVER --

But, I teach there are exceptions to the rules and this might be one. :)

As far as possibilities for the Uber issue--- Tail curled could be she is gathering your heat- she is a reptile. Just as in basking they rarely have their tail hanging down (I am sure there are few out their that do-- exceptions to the rule).

I am glad she has a bond with you and family. In the years to come if you get others, don't expect this behavior for all. One reason I am a Veiled person-- I enjoy their different behaviors from individual to individual. Sweet to Ornery

Thanks for your observations and glad you have a sweet lady.

I think in this stage she´s on the hunt for a male or checking opportunities to lay her eggs. Seeing her colours, she´s full receptive or on the way to developing eggs. My girl always stays in her free range, until she´s receptive, then she´s wants, uhhh, leaves her free range constantly and roams around the complete room. This goes on for almost 4 weeks till the day she starts digging.

If she isn´t taking advantage of you, then you´re a lucky keeper, because I think they all consider us as `Friends with benefits` ;):)

However she´s cute girl and maybe the early handling gave you this blessing.

If you really believe she likes it. Place her outside on a tree and come back in 1 hour. We will see how much they like being handled. :cool: (y)

Please don't do that. I am such a sucker for placing human feelings with wild animal/or captive bred, but given the true choice I would bet on the escape. That being said--- she might do as you say.. Just not in my experience- EVER --
I was gonna say the same thing lol 😂

I have 4 Veileds and 2 Panthers and I've noticed that as long as you get them as babies, they're much easier to tame -or to get them to trust you- my first boy, who's been in my care since he was 2 months old, has absolutely no problem being handled, never acted aggressive towards me and likes to go out to get some sun.
My 2 rescues though are a completely different story. The female hides from me whenever she sees me, no matter if I have food or not, I barely see her.. the boy instead HATES ME HARD. He stares at me with both eyes the whole time like I'm a cricket ready to die, gasps when I open the cage.
I recently got a young female and she's starting to get comfortable around me, she's a few months old now. Same with my Panthers, the boy still runs away and the female just ignores me..

Funny!
I have raised all my young ones from eggs (including hand feeding Saul for 30 days when his eyes were born with a disability). They have seen this mug (face) from birth and STILL will take a bite if I am not watching out. Sometimes it is a "slow motion" action to bite or out of the blue quick (no reason) and pretend to bite. I have not been bitten yet and know it would not bother me that bad. I think it is funny. Then they look at me like they did something bad.
That being said--- If I don't make eye to eye contact and they are free ranging in the back ( I can be standing right by them - it is the eye contact) one I will watch me and the other has already found the escape path..
Little stinkers in every way...

Few years back I had male, which I fostered, as he had pneumonia, he was cured and given back to owner. (y) This guy would shoot his tongue at my forehead almost every time he was close enough to hit ( I have seen a few videos with others experiencing the same behavior). I figured it was my receding hairline but the girl in the video did not have that issue. Just different behavior..
Thanks for letting me share--- Fun fun fun

I live in the moment and share some of the past... Here is what is going on right now.
Booger is a green anole and he must have gotten into a fight yesterday. Here he is coming in the yard for some mealworms and crickets (hand feed).

Booger got is name from eating crickets and then biting my finger tip.. I said " You Booger" and it stuck. Seems he semi-responds during feeding time (probably not but my own personal thoughts) (y) . He is one of a few that will jump on my leg or t-shirt to get a cricket.

Last pic was taken a few months ago.. Territorial fighting is crazy...

Attachments

• PXL_20211012_161846779.jpg
    PXL_20211012_161846779.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20211012_161852235.jpg
    PXL_20211012_161852235.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20211012_161852235.jpg
    PXL_20211012_161852235.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20210503_213917190~3.jpg
    PXL_20210503_213917190~3.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 80
I live in the moment and share some of the past... Here is what is going on right now.
Booger is a green anole and he must have gotten into a fight yesterday. Here he is coming in the yard for some mealworms and crickets (hand feed).

Booger got is name from eating crickets and then biting my finger tip.. I said " You Booger" and it stuck. Seems he semi-responds during feeding time (probably not but my own personal thoughts) (y) . He is one of a few that will jump on my leg or t-shirt to get a cricket.

Last pic was taken a few months ago.. Territorial fighting is crazy...
I love the name! Lol how cute! Oh my, the pictures posted show a slow zoom in and I couldn’t help but laugh and think of those memes like that 🤣

Funny!
I have raised all my young ones from eggs (including hand feeding Saul for 30 days when his eyes were born with a disability). They have seen this mug (face) from birth and STILL will take a bite if I am not watching out. Sometimes it is a "slow motion" action to bite or out of the blue quick (no reason) and pretend to bite. I have not been bitten yet and know it would not bother me that bad. I think it is funny. Then they look at me like they did something bad.
That being said--- If I don't make eye to eye contact and they are free ranging in the back ( I can be standing right by them - it is the eye contact) one I will watch me and the other has already found the escape path..
Little stinkers in every way...

Few years back I had male, which I fostered, as he had pneumonia, he was cured and given back to owner. (y) This guy would shoot his tongue at my forehead almost every time he was close enough to hit ( I have seen a few videos with others experiencing the same behavior). I figured it was my receding hairline but the girl in the video did not have that issue. Just different behavior..
Thanks for letting me share--- Fun fun fun
That’s comical! 🤣 Thanks for sharing that!

Totally agree with everything Snitz427 said--- Much better than I can put in words.(y)

But, I teach there are exceptions to the rules and this might be one. :)

As far as possibilities for the Uber issue--- Tail curled could be she is gathering your heat- she is a reptile. Just as in basking they rarely have their tail hanging down (I am sure there are few out their that do-- exceptions to the rule).

I am glad she has a bond with you and family. In the years to come if you get others, don't expect this behavior for all. One reason I am a Veiled person-- I enjoy their different behaviors from individual to individual. Sweet to Ornery

Thanks for your observations and glad you have a sweet lady.
To be honest I’ve never had a single issue handling Lily and I only do so when she’s in the mood. She always transfers from tree (non-poisonous, always look up trees safe for chams) to me, to her tree in her enclosure easily. It’s like she’s happy to be home again! I’ve also always hand fed her the first cricket or if it’s a super worm/horn worm 🐛

I love the name! Lol how cute! Oh my, the pictures posted show a slow zoom in and I couldn’t help but laugh and think of those memes like that 🤣
lol Truth be told.. I don't do face book, twitter, tik tok and think a meme is a picture of me like a selfie (not sure).. I know- horrible with new and even older stuff.. But give me a weird looking critter or a bug and I can be entertained for hours. Like watching my tadpoles legs grow in and their feet.. In my Thread "Opps I did it again treefrogs" or something like that (yesterday and the day before growth).. I just like sharing. Thinking::: Maybe that is why I am part hermit. :) (y)

Attachments

• PXL_20211011_173104677 (1).jpg
    PXL_20211011_173104677 (1).jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20211010_042908268~2.jpg
    PXL_20211010_042908268~2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 64
In all my research of veiled chams it never fails to read somewhere that they don’t like to be handled often and are more of a “just look at me” pet BUT Lily absolutely loves being handled. When she sees me she will come to the door and hang on and get my attention until I put my hand in for her to climb up my arm and chill. She is 7 months at this point.

View attachment 312300
Two Week Old Lily

Just like people evry cham has their own petsonality. My male vieled is 1 1\2 and loves to be with me. He too comes to the svreen begging to come out and loves our walks. The only time he likes alone time is when he sheds. he knowd he is safe with me and lily knows she is safe with you.

Just like people evry cham has their own petsonality. My male vieled is 1 1\2 and loves to be with me. He too comes to the svreen begging to come out and loves our walks. The only time he likes alone time is when he sheds. he knowd he is safe with me and lily knows she is safe with you.
We are definitely blessed 🖤

Back
Top Bottom