female veiled eggs?

leafling424

Hey there.

I'm a bit confused about whether or not I am supposed to be putting a sand bin in Ernie's cage. She's solitary, about 8 months old. She's eating well, very healthy, growing like a weed. I've read little snippets about needing egg bins, but I'd like some input.

Chameleons really grow eggs even with no males around? This is interesting. How do I know when she needs one? Can I see pics of a cage set-up?

This is an excellent video on how to set up a laying bin: https://www.chameleonforums.com/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video-77225/
It should tell you pretty much everything you need to know about how to do it.

She's at around that age where she'll definitely be sexually mature. And yes, females of the egg-laying species will produce infertile eggs periodically regardless of whether there is a male in the picture or not!

You may not be able to tell that she needs it, especially the first time because you're new to the process. But typically her coloration may be much darker, she will be much more restless, begin spending lots of time looking around the floor of her cage, and may even go off food. It's easiest just to keep a laying bin in the cage at all times, just in case. But if you don't have room you may be able to put something smaller in her cage (like a shoe-box sized container) with moist sand/soil and if you see her rummaging around in it put in the official laying bin.

Thanks very much. I will do so, pronto. I am deaf so I haven't been able to understand the video that has been posted numerous times. She has been especially rude as of late, but such a hungry piggy, so I'll be keeping a close eye on her!

For your lay bin...

a bucket that is at least 12 inces deep, and roughly the same across.

you can fill it with washed sand or soil, that is then damp enough to hold a tunnel when she digs, but not so wet it collapses.

I found it very interesting to read that lowering the temperatures and cutting back on the food will prevent her from clutching. Is this appropriate to do? I don't want her to be constantly uncomfortable or become malnourished, but I also don't want to risk her becoming eggbound. Is there more I can read up on this somewhere?

Yes! that's what I was looking for, I had seen that when I first got my girly but didnt pursue it at the time because I figured I still had time...Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom