Female Update

BA4A1A72-BB9B-400A-AA14-27AC51A40DC1.jpeg BA4A1A72-BB9B-400A-AA14-27AC51A40DC1.jpeg So as some of you are aware I’ve been trying to care for a recently purchased female from petco that I had been told had been successfully bred, this is my experience wasn’t sure if this is a common place thing, when I first got her she showed gravid colors and a clearly swollen belly , I took her in for fecals, she had three different parasites (have a video too large to upload here if you want to see what the parasites look like under microscope ) , I’ve medicated her and given her warm soaks to treat them, during this process she was constipated to a point it created a palpable mass, that combined with her non-receptive display and the fact I was told so led me to believe she was in fact pregnant, well 6weeks later I took her in for an x-ray as she was no longer showing gravid colors and had lost weight but I couldn’t find any eggs, turned out she was just constipated LMAO , she is now eating , drinking and will be completely free of the parasites soon , long story short she’s in great health and will continue to be cared for, thank you to those with genuine care and advice

Attachments

• F7C82249-FACB-4F81-8384-722E9591881B.jpeg
    F7C82249-FACB-4F81-8384-722E9591881B.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Believing anything a PetCo told you about a cham is pretty risky. I'm sure informed employees exist in some stores, but in general they don't know a thing about them. I hope you've learned that veiled females can start producing clutches of infertile eggs (become gravid...not pregnant) without the "assistance" of a male. They don't need to be "successfully bred" at all. As the degree of gravid coloration varies quite a bit, unless you happen to know that individual female well, stress coloration due to less-than-great care at the store can look a lot like non-receptive coloration. Glad she's doing better!!

Yeah I knew they could show non-receptive due to a lot of reasons, she’s a panther btw, but had no idea it could persist just because she was experiencing discomfort from parasites

She showed the colors up until about a week ago , that combined with the weight changing , was alarming, and it was very reassuring to know she didn’t need surgery and no eggs had bound, that she had just “moved the mass”

Yeah I knew they could show non-receptive due to a lot of reasons, she’s a panther btw, but had no idea it could persist just because she was experiencing discomfort from parasites

Not necessarily "discomfort" from parasites unless the load was exceptionally high (not that likely), but from stress in general.

Back
Top Bottom