Female Panther Chameleon?

When deciding between a male and a female or a panther and a veiled, I don’t think attitude and temperament should be factors. Everyone should go into owning a chameleon that they will be defensive and not do well with human interaction. If you are able to build trust with your cham or it turns out they have a lower defense mechanism, then great :) But it’s better to look at the glass half empty with temperament IMO.
Also worth noting there are plenty of female chams that have lived 7+ years as long as you know what you’re doing and restrict clutch sizes so I don’t think age should be much of a factor.

When deciding between a male and a female, biggest differences that are objective are size, color, and eggs. Do you have a preference for a smaller or bigger cham? Do you like the bright colors or subtle colors? Are you okay with the emotional stress that comes with having a cham lay eggs? Those are the right questions to be asking.

I would say get a male panther for a few reasons, first, males don’t lay any eggs so they are less work, males are bigger and prettier, they are more friendly, and they live longer. You can get a girl if you want, there’s nothing wrong with it, but in my opinion, get a boy.
My male is nowhere close to how sweet my female was. My little girl, Flower, loved to be taken on walks and explore. She even escaped on day one and calmly walked back onto my hand and back into her home. Pete, on the other hand, has tried to bite me, my mom, my little brothers, two cats, a dog, and a Guinea pig. The cats were on the other side of his enclosure, wile he crawled up to both of the dog and Guinea pig and tried to bite them. He is definitely not the norm, but in general the females are kinder.

My male is nowhere close to how sweet my female was. My little girl, Flower, loved to be taken on walks and explore. She even escaped on day one and calmly walked back onto my hand and back into her home. Pete, on the other hand, has tried to bite me, my mom, my little brothers, two cats, a dog, and a Guinea pig. The cats were on the other side of his enclosure, wile he crawled up to both of the dog and Guinea pig and tried to bite them. He is definitely not the norm, but in general the females are kinder.
Your chameleon should not be near your other animals. Of course he is going to try to get them to back off and leave him alone. He is small and they are bigger. His natural defense is to protect himself. Having them out together is asking for an "accident" to happen. Having them in the same room next to his cage is creating a stressful environment for him.

Your chameleon should not be near your other animals. Of course he is going to try to get them to back off and leave him alone. He is small and they are bigger. His natural defense is to protect himself. Having them out together is asking for an "accident" to happen. Having them in the same room next to his cage is creating a stressful environment for him.

Particulary the cats. All felines from wild to domestic are skilled, ambush preditors. Search the archives here, plenty of horror stories...

Particulary the cats. All felines from wild to domestic are skilled, ambush preditors. Search the archives here, plenty of horror stories...
He is never near the cats. When I mean he has tried to bite them, I mean as he strikes the side of the cage while they walk past. They are outside of I am taking out Pete. The only time he has been near another animal was the pig and dog, in which they walked past his free range. I apologize if it seemed I was putting my chameleon in danger.

Back
Top Bottom