Female panther chameleon

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me!
My female panther mates with my Male about 34 days ago, she has been pacing the cage floor for a few days digging test holes, I have transferred her into a lay bin (big garbage pail) with about 7_9 inches of dirt, she has been in there for almost 3 days, I'm worried that she will get dehydrated but i dont want to disturb her while she digs, i have 2 young kids that I have caught peeking at her and I'm assuming she has abandoned the hole she was digging, in the pail she has dug about 5 different holes none of which have been covered over.
1. Should I have more dirt in the pail?
2. How long does it usually take for her to actually lay?
3. Should I be providing her food and water?

I'm new at breeding, and just want to make sure I'm caring for my baby girl properly

Please help!

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me!
My female panther mates with my Male about 34 days ago, she has been pacing the cage floor for a few days digging test holes, I have transferred her into a lay bin (big garbage pail) with about 7_9 inches of dirt, she has been in there for almost 3 days, I'm worried that she will get dehydrated but i dont want to disturb her while she digs, i have 2 young kids that I have caught peeking at her and I'm assuming she has abandoned the hole she was digging, in the pail she has dug about 5 different holes none of which have been covered over.
1. Should I have more dirt in the pail?
2. How long does it usually take for her to actually lay?
3. Should I be providing her food and water?

I'm new at breeding, and just want to make sure I'm caring for my baby girl properly

Please help!
We generally recommend a 12x12x12 lay bin fill nearly full of moist, clean play sand.

There is no standard amount of time it takes them to dig. Once she actually starts to lay most are done by 24hrs.

On the food and water- this is why I advocate the lay bin being a permanent part of your girls cage. It allows her to choose when she wants to lay and it eliminates all the timing and guesswork on your part. It also allows you to continue your normal watering schedule so dehydration isn’t a concern. Don’t worry about food while she’s digging.

She will abandon her hole if disturbed, this is yet another reason to keep a bin in her viv 24/7. Keeping it in the viv allows you to easily wrap a privacy curtain around the bottom half of her viv, preventing any disturbance.

I do have a viv with about 5 inches of dirt, she started to dig in there but I think it wasn't packed down enough and after reading about laying bins I thought I would try that route as my kids have an awful tendency to peek in at her, I switched her over on Sunday to the laying bin which I would guess is too big but she seems to be digging up a fury in there, I put a light over her and put a small hole in the top to just monitor her.
Here is a pic of her viv
15524067523684826208660414083646.jpg
15524068011214608007485368746938.jpg
15524068359841104890402005078443.jpg

I do have a viv with about 5 inches of dirt, she started to dig in there but I think it wasn't packed down enough and after reading about laying bins I thought I would try that route as my kids have an awful tendency to peek in at her, I switched her over on Sunday to the laying bin which I would guess is too big but she seems to be digging up a fury in there, I put a light over her and put a small hole in the top to just monitor her.
Here is a pic of her vivView attachment 225422View attachment 225423View attachment 225424
If she was digging you should have left her...

No such thing as a lay bin that’s too big but since you’ve already pulled her out take this opportunity to put a lay bin in her viv and wrap a curtain around the bottom half of her viv and return her to it. Privacy and comfort is critical right now.

If she was digging you should have left her...

No such thing as a lay bin that’s too big but since you’ve already pulled her out take this opportunity to put a lay bin in her viv and wrap a curtain around the bottom half of her viv and return her to it. Privacy and comfort is critical right now.

So when I pulled her out she was just sitting on the tree I put in there....

So this is the bin I put in here viv,
I'm going to go out and buy a video camera so I can watch her when she goes to sleep.... thank you for all the help! I gave her a good misting... she drank so much, I put a sheet over her entire cage, except the back that is facing the wall so she has air!!!!

Attachments

• 15524083582074721412368327378331.jpg
    15524083582074721412368327378331.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 152
wow Nice!! is she okay after laying eggs? how did you treat her after?
Hey, she is doing great, gutloaded some crickets dusted with calcium d3 for the week days and watered her heavily, she also got a few butter worms and wax worms as a treat 1 day, my other female laid last night as well, she did not take long at all, 24 hours roughly, she got the same treatment this morning, she did not want too many crickets though, I will offer her the same tomorrow morning, let me know if what I have given her was proper care!

Hey, she is doing great, gutloaded some crickets dusted with calcium d3 for the week days and watered her heavily, she also got a few butter worms and wax worms as a treat 1 day, my other female laid last night as well, she did not take long at all, 24 hours roughly, she got the same treatment this morning, she did not want too many crickets though, I will offer her the same tomorrow morning, let me know if what I have given her was proper care!
Sounds like you have it under control. Lots of well dusted, gutloaded food, and water for the next week then back to your normal schedule.

congrats on the eggs!!! looks to me like you're in the clear, it may be a while before she eats since egg laying takes a tole on chams

Back
Top Bottom