Female Panther Chameleon has a burned back and may be gravid?

JOSHWAH

I recently made a forum, that my female panther's back looks weird, some of u guys said that it is burned, i agree, but i am giving her some burn cream. I have 3 more question, do u think she is gravid or she is just fat, and if she is gravid how to check if the baby is fertile and have the chameleon inside the egg. Last question, if they really lay eggs, how do i incubate them. I know where i can buy incubater but i dont know how to set it up or anything. I also do not know how to make laying bin, all i know is i need a 42x42x42 container with some playsand? do u have to put some vines and stuff inside. And how long do i put her for. how long do i incubate eggs or whatever. im very sorry because i am very stupid and i have no experience of anything of this. but i really love my chameleons a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_1352.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Did you post this on Chameleon Central? I saw a Chameleon that looks just like yours. What "burn cream" are you using? Its hard to tell if she is fat or gravid. Do you have a proper lay bin? If you are concerned, take her to a vet and get an xray done to look for eggs

Did you post this on Chameleon Central? I saw a Chameleon that looks just like yours. What "burn cream" are you using? Its hard to tell if she is fat or gravid. Do you have a proper lay bin? If you are concerned, take her to a vet and get an xray done to look for eggs
No i didnt put it on chameleon central. I am only 14 year old and live with my parents, they dont really want me to get xray cuz it is like 1000Usd, everything is expensive in hong kong. I dont have a laying bin, i am completely new to this. i see her a lot on the bottom of the cage. Is it ok if i talk to you on skype, because i really need help and cant afford to wait few hours just to get a reply.

She does not look gravid. If she is gravid she should be black with peach like this.
View attachment 201987
However she looks as though she may be receptive.
I am not sure she is receptive, when she is 6 months old she is sharing a cage with a male chameleon, from the same mother, but 3-4 months later the male chameleon got mbd and the female started to bully him, then i seperate them. I did some research, and the lay eggs in about a month after mating, so the female has not had direct contact with the male, except at night because it is really cold and i put them in a small container with warm packs and towels. maybe they mated then? Personally i have not seen them mate. I think she is gravid because she is always on the bottom of the cage.

If you have to go through all that maybe it is time for a new setup.. that is a lot of stress on them to be doing that every night they don’t like to be moved out of there own space. And if your using a burn cream you have to make sure she can bask in a good temp somewhere around 85 degrees so her body can distribute the medicine evenly and not build up in one spot leading to edema or something along those lines

If you have to go through all that maybe it is time for a new setup.. that is a lot of stress on them to be doing that every night they don’t like to be moved out of there own space. And if your using a burn cream you have to make sure she can bask in a good temp somewhere around 85 degrees so her body can distribute the medicine evenly and not build up in one spot leading to edema or something along those lines
ok i understand

She does look a little big she might have eggs that she needs to lay even if she did NOT mate she will still need to lay her eggs so they don’t get backed up as her body try’s to reabsorb the eggs. I would go back and watch and pay attention to the video link that @carol5208 posted earlier in your thread

Her tail is thin her body is fat...it's making me think she is eggbound. We need proper information in order to help you and we need good photos of her and the cage she is in during the day and at night. If she's in with the male at night and was when she was about 6 months old like you said she has been, chances are they mated. She was likely repelling him back then because she was gravid not because the male had MBD IMHO.

As for proper information...I doubt we will ever get it from you because you say things like...they are in separate cages side by side but then you didn't tell us until later that they are together every night to keep them warm. I'm not looking for other examples. In many of your threads you're the one who cuts the thread off by not answering the final person who asks you questions. If you want help you need to keep it all in one thread when it's about the health issues of the chameleon and be truthful and give complete answers.

Last chance.....at least for me...please post several recent photos of the female from different angles.
Please post photos of both their day time cages and the one you have them in at night. Please answer the questions in the. How to ask f help thread near the top of the health forum and BE SPECIFIC.

Last edited:
Her tail is thin her body is fat...it's making me think she is eggbound. We need proper information in order to help you and we need good photos of her and the cage she is in during the day and at night. If she's in with the male at night and was when she was about 6 months old like you said she has been, chances are they mated. She was likely repelling him back then because she was gravid not because the male had MBD IMHO.

As for proper information...I doubt we will ever get it from you because you say things like...they are in separate cages side by side but then you didn't tell us until later that they are together every night to keep them warm. I'm not looking for other examples. In many of your threads you're the one who cuts the thread off by not answering the final person who asks you questions. If you want help you need to keep it all in one thread when it's about the health issues of the chameleon and be truthful and give complete answers.

Last chance.....at least for me...please post several recent photos of the female from different angles.
Please post photos of both their day time cages and the one you have them in at night. Please answer the questions in the. How to ask f help thread near the top of the health forum and BE SPECIFIC.

OK, have a small laying bin now under the cage, since she has not moved, i just placed her in the bottom on the laying bin, i got a spoon and help her dig some holes in case she likes them, now both chameleon cannot see each other as i have placed a cloth to seperate them. I have not seen her move but when i looked her legs look dirt with sand. Someone suggested i soak her in warm water, so i did, but when i do her colors look more bright than usual. here are some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_7100.JPG
    IMG_7100.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7091.JPG
    IMG_7091.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7106.JPG
    IMG_7106.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7107.JPG
    IMG_7107.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7108.JPG
    IMG_7108.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7109.JPG
    IMG_7109.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 87
She’s not goin to want you watching her when she digs try to leave her be and try not to bother her at all if she is in the laying bin you put in just put a vine in there that she can get in and out of the bin with she’s not goin to do anything with you placing her in there then waiting to take her out she will do it when she feels comfortable if you don’t get her space she won’t feel comfortable to lay

She’s not goin to want you watching her when she digs try to leave her be and try not to bother her at all if she is in the laying bin you put in just put a vine in there that she can get in and out of the bin with she’s not goin to do anything with you placing her in there then waiting to take her out she will do it when she feels comfortable if you don’t get her space she won’t feel comfortable to lay
I have. For 2 days. I took her out because someone suggested i soak her in warm water. I do have vines connecting the sand the rest of the chameleons home

Soak in warm water for what purpose? Also, what are your house temps that you feel the need to wrap them to keep them warm? They can take temps into the 40's at night . I highly doubt your house is that cold . If anything, you get a ceramic heat emitter if it gets that cold.

Soak in warm water for what purpose? Also, what are your house temps that you feel the need to wrap them to keep them warm? They can take temps into the 40's at night . I highly doubt your house is that cold . If anything, you get a ceramic heat emitter if it gets that cold.
It is about 20-25 celcius. and around 15-20C at night. Someone said soaking them in water to help them poop.

It is about 20-25 celcius. and around 15-20C at night. Someone said soaking them in water to help them poop.
House temps are fine . Do not take them out and put them in a container and wrap them for warmth. Not necessary and just adding stress on them.

Soaking a chameleon is not suggested. Not sure who gave you that advice. A better way would be to mist your chameleon with warm(not hot ) water. That can make them poop and is far less stressful. Test water on your hand or arm first

Back
Top Bottom