Female or male?

jorgegonzl

i adopted this 7 to 9 months old aprox veiled chameleon at my job in petsmart... i don’t feel the need to spend over $70 just to know if it is a female or a male.... since is very healthy/active eating pretty well insects and all of that... im pretty sure is a male i’ve done tons of researchs but this blog feels very accurate in all the information i’ve seen
Any advices since is my very first chameleon? Is a male? Female? What do i really need to be worried about the most? Thanks you all

Attachments

• 0223F07D-D372-4ABF-AC5B-2B24545233F5.jpeg
    0223F07D-D372-4ABF-AC5B-2B24545233F5.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 241
I have one to BE CAREFUL males I know for a fact that they are very territorial one day He might NOT wanna come out of his cage I still can't get mine out :( it really depends on the cham :D some might be fine coming out some think otherwise:(

You honestly don't even to see the spurs to identify this one as male. A simple google search of "male veiled chameleon" and "female veiled chameleon" should suffice, with the very clear patterns he has. His front left leg looks to me like it has symptoms of MBD, by the way. You will want to keep a very close eye on him, since petco chameleons are almost never in very good shape. Also, and I mean this in the most delicate way possible, but I hope you are not taking advice on this animal from your place of work. The fact of the matter is that Petco does not know how to care for chameleons well and we get horror story upon horror story of chams bought from there by inexperienced/first-time owners. Even specialty reptile shops that do not specifically specialize in chameleons routinely give out bad advice.

Here's how we can assess the quality of your husbandry for the little guy. Please fill out the following in full (do not skip any sections) and we will be able to offer you advice on how to improve his care.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

This poor boy has definitely suffered with MBD or still developing it now. It is very apparent in his front leg! - I would recommend getting him to a reptile vet as soon as possible. They can check to see if the signs are from early development or if it is an ongoing problem. MBD is irreversible, it can be stopped if caught early enough but the damage will always remain. A vet can inject the correct vitamins to boost it into their system if needed. Check with the vet, because if this is early damage and he is no longer suffering with MBD, you do not want to overdose on vitamins as this can be just as bad. Definitely start and continue doing thorough research on Veiled Chameleons as improper care will have fatal results.

You honestly don't even to see the spurs to identify this one as male. A simple google search of "male veiled chameleon" and "female veiled chameleon" should suffice, with the very clear patterns he has. His front left leg looks to me like it has symptoms of MBD, by the way. You will want to keep a very close eye on him, since petco chameleons are almost never in very good shape. Also, and I mean this in the most delicate way possible, but I hope you are not taking advice on this animal from your place of work. The fact of the matter is that Petco does not know how to care for chameleons well and we get horror story upon horror story of chams bought from there by inexperienced/first-time owners. Even specialty reptile shops that do not specifically specialize in chameleons routinely give out bad advice.

Here's how we can assess the quality of your husbandry for the little guy. Please fill out the following in full (do not skip any sections) and we will be able to offer you advice on how to improve his care.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
This poor boy has definitely suffered with MBD or still developing it now. It is very apparent in his front leg! - I would recommend getting him to a reptile vet as soon as possible. They can check to see if the signs are from early development or if it is an ongoing problem. MBD is irreversible, it can be stopped if caught early enough but the damage will always remain. A vet can inject the correct vitamins to boost it into their system if needed. Check with the vet, because if this is early damage and he is no longer suffering with MBD, you do not want to overdose on vitamins as this can be just as bad. Definitely start and continue doing thorough research on Veiled Chameleons as improper care will have fatal results.

Attachments

• 9F734A6D-77CF-4DAD-9228-D5394B8EE3B5.jpeg
    9F734A6D-77CF-4DAD-9228-D5394B8EE3B5.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 161

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
Appreciate all of you all concerns!!

Back
Top Bottom