Female looking bloated or swollen

tarrynh011

Hi guys,
Need help or advise, my female veiled is im guessing around the 5-6 month mark.
My chams received their new bio active vivarium enclosure on Sunday (today is Tuesday for me) and I've noticed that my female is soooo moody and well rather "p*ssed" everytime i go close to the enclosure. She's really puffing up and hissing and has even tried to strike at me especially when i try to take her feeder bowl out. I know it will take a few days for them adjust to the new environment.

Anyway i noticed this lump on her side tonight its definitely a rib, and upon trying to see this lump and that she is ok I noticed that she is looking really swollen/bloated. I know she seams a bit young but do you think there is a possibility she may need to lay?

Or could it be the new environment that's making her puff up /moody

Apologies for the bad photos I just dont want to get to close to upset her anymore than she already is.

Attachments

• 20210112_203107.jpg
    20210112_203107.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210112_192819.jpg
    20210112_192819.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210112_192807.jpg
    20210112_192807.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 101
Doesn’t at all look like an egg lump. Has she fallen or had any other injury? Is she still eating, drinking and pooping?
She may be moody due to the new enclosure, or she could have just reached that age...or a combination of the 2.

Doesn’t at all look like an egg lump. Has she fallen or had any other injury? Is she still eating, drinking and pooping?
She may be moody due to the new enclosure, or she could have just reached that age...or a combination of the 2.
Not sure if she has fallen during the day while I was at work, she can be rather clumsy.
She has quite a healthy appetite in the mornings even in the new environment. Only noticed the lump this evening. So will check on her eating in the morning again, haven't seen any poop but to be honest the new enclosure it quite overwhelmed with plants and didn't really check for any will check in the morning. Drinking yes, our mister goes off every 4 hours and I was home the last time it went off so I did see her drink ( she dose hate the new mister)

Not sure if she has fallen during the day while I was at work, she can be rather clumsy.
She has quite a healthy appetite in the mornings even in the new environment. Only noticed the lump this evening. So will check on her eating in the morning again, haven't seen any poop but to be honest the new enclosure it quite overwhelmed with plants and didn't really check for any will check in the morning. Drinking yes, our mister goes off every 4 hours and I was home the last time it went off so I did see her drink ( she dose hate the new mister)
Chameleons are rarely clumsy, unless something is wrong (not saying it is). Could you fill out this form with as much detail as possible and include photos of her, her cage, and her lights, please?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi! It was perfect of you for posting some pics we could use to help you with your issue, but unfortunately, at least to me, it is very hard to analyze your chameleon due to the lighting and taking the pics through the screen cage. Is it possible for you to get non-obstructed, brighter and clearer pics of her, and of her "bump" on her side (preferably from different angles so we can see it (top, I guess we already have a bottom pic, side etc.). That definitely does not look like an egg poking out of her side since it looks so pointy. Looks like a lump. But from the other pics you provided, from what I can make out it looks like she is either well fed, or could even be gravid. She also looks like an adult female to me, not 5 months old. She looks like she could be 9 months old (correct me if I'm wrong someone).

I don't know lol the pics are deceiving me....

Chameleons are rarely clumsy, unless something is wrong (not saying it is). Could you fill out this form with as much detail as possible and include photos of her, her cage, and her lights, please?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I am glad you mentioned this. The admitting that she can be rather clumsy part alarmed me as well as chameleons are very agile creatures. Only when they develop or begin to develop MBD are they ever clumsy enough where they tend to fall to the ground quite often. Falling every now and then is normal I guess, but quite often is not, so you may want to specify what you mean by clumsy lol. However, from the pics I do not see signs of MBD.

How active is she? Is she still eating well, pooping normally, drinking?

Hi guys,
Need help or advise, my female veiled is im guessing around the 5-6 month mark.
My chams received their new bio active vivarium enclosure on Sunday (today is Tuesday for me) and I've noticed that my female is soooo moody and well rather "p*ssed" everytime i go close to the enclosure. She's really puffing up and hissing and has even tried to strike at me especially when i try to take her feeder bowl out. I know it will take a few days for them adjust to the new environment.

Anyway i noticed this lump on her side tonight its definitely a rib, and upon trying to see this lump and that she is ok I noticed that she is looking really swollen/bloated. I know she seams a bit young but do you think there is a possibility she may need to lay?

Or could it be the new environment that's making her puff up /moody

Apologies for the bad photos I just dont want to get to close to upset her anymore than she already is.
She looks pissed... You just totally changed everything in her world... From the enclosure size, To the vantage point she sees everything, the pathways she moves around on, the plants, and the lighting. Everything is different and this will require her to adjust to it. Could be she fell off a branch or hit a branch wrong coming down and broke a rib. There is nothing a vet can do for that. It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for her to get her bearings.

She looks pissed... You just totally changed everything in her world... From the enclosure size, To the vantage point she sees everything, the pathways she moves around on, the plants, and the lighting. Everything is different and this will require her to adjust to it. Could be she fell off a branch or hit a branch wrong coming down and broke a rib. There is nothing a vet can do for that. It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for her to get her bearings.
Thats exactly what I thought!!! Managed to get her out the enclosure by means of superworm temptation on my arm and gosh she practically pounced on me for it. Although once she was out her colours changed (p*ssed off colours but not hissing or puffing up) but she was walking all over me like she dose when I do take her out every now and again. Will post pics to my response to Thompsons question above

Hi! It was perfect of you for posting some pics we could use to help you with your issue, but unfortunately, at least to me, it is very hard to analyze your chameleon due to the lighting and taking the pics through the screen cage. Is it possible for you to get non-obstructed, brighter and clearer pics of her, and of her "bump" on her side (preferably from different angles so we can see it (top, I guess we already have a bottom pic, side etc.). That definitely does not look like an egg poking out of her side since it looks so pointy. Looks like a lump. But from the other pics you provided, from what I can make out it looks like she is either well fed, or could even be gravid. She also looks like an adult female to me, not 5 months old. She looks like she could be 9 months old (correct me if I'm wrong someone).

I don't know lol the pics are deceiving me....
Managed to get her out to have a better look at her and I see a slight bump but not as bad as per the previous images posted yesterday. Tried taking from a few angles but she dosent like this black clicky thing near her (the phone) as you can see she's not impressed...

Attachments

• 20210113_174716.jpg
    20210113_174716.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210113_174733.jpg
    20210113_174733.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210113_174751.jpg
    20210113_174751.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210113_174802.jpg
    20210113_174802.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210113_174902.jpg
    20210113_174902.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 78
@Thompson this image is the size of her the day I got her which was 19 September 2020. I dont know how old she was but I was told she's around 5-6 months now. That information i received could be incorrect 💁‍♀️I really don't know

Attachments

• 20200919_103024.jpg
    20200919_103024.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 66
I am glad you mentioned this. The admitting that she can be rather clumsy part alarmed me as well as chameleons are very agile creatures. Only when they develop or begin to develop MBD are they ever clumsy enough where they tend to fall to the ground quite often. Falling every now and then is normal I guess, but quite often is not, so you may want to specify what you mean by clumsy lol. However, from the pics I do not see signs of MBD.

How active is she? Is she still eating well, pooping normally, drinking?
Oh really? I did not know this! Thank you for teaching me something new today. And yes I think I should refraze saying she's clumsy..

When I first got her, and even now she still dose it, she just walks especially when she finds that second gear. She so busy looking everywhere you know that 180 they do with their eyes that its almost as if she's not paying attending to where she is stepping. She's gotten better now and dosent do it as much any more, but she still manages to find that second gear

She’s beautiful, but I wonder about the shape of her casque. I think just to make sure all of your husbandry is spot on, having it reviewed might be a good idea.

She’s beautiful, but I wonder about the shape of her casque. I think just to make sure all of your husbandry is spot on, having it reviewed might be a good idea.
I think what your seeing is from before the OP had her. If you look at the baby pic it is as if she had the incorrect UVB prior. Some minor deformity to the casque. But looking at the casque shape now it is pretty much on point. I have gone over husbandry quite a few times specifically to UVB because the OP lives in an area where getting a hold of UVB lighting is difficult. They were able to a solarmeter 6.5 though and have had her under the correct UVB levels.

Chameleon Info:
Please note that my chameleons have just been moved (on sunday 10th Jan) to a new bigger and better bioactive enclosure.
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Female veiled chameleon approximate age 5-6 months but could be wrong. Shes been in my care since September 2020 so almost 4 months to the day
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? twice a week if they want to. I put my hand in the enclosure and if they climb on my hand I take them out and sit with them in the sun for about 20min if they do not climb on my hand I leave them and have never forced them.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? cham- I feed her 8 - 10 crickets per day with 2 dubias (but she never eats them) I also give her a super worms every 3rd day.
  • crickets - I give them fresh carrots and kale every 2nd day, they also have a dry cricket food mix which is cru shed oats fish food flakes and small koi pellets. As well as a give them a table spoon size of repashy bug burger jelly
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Exoterra - calcium with out D3, calcium with D3 and multivitamin
  • Schedule- sunday to Friday Calcium with out D 3
  • Alternating Saturdays with Calcium with D3 or multivitamin depending on the rotation
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? misting system in enclosure goes off every 4 hours for two minutes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? her normal droppings are brown with white urate. How ever in the new enclosure i can't find any droppings i tride looking with a torch as bottom of enclosure is quite dark also tried to move leaves and plants but the enclosure is really full of plants so can't see any droppings (will post pic)
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. not that I'm aware of

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2 meters high 1.2 meters wide and 600 deep. Made out if kiaat wood with mesh sides
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Mega ray 70w at basking, also have a T 5 5.0 uvb there is a grow light aswell.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot during the day 28 degrees
  • At night its around 22 degrees
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 82% i have a hygrometer in the middle of the enclosure, ficus Benjamin, hibiscus, bermeliads and an orchid to name a few
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? All live plants full bioactive enclosure,
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? lounge minimal traffic as its only my hubby and I and we not home during the day.
  • At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 2 meters
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? South Africa -Johannesburg

--------------

Attachments

• 20210113_181720.jpg
    20210113_181720.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210110_162604.jpg
    20210110_162604.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hi missSkittles have just filled in the form as suggested by @ERKIeRose and also want to add that I have a VET appointment on Saturday for both my babies. Hopefully will get some answers

I think what your seeing is from before the OP had her. If you look at the baby pic it is as if she had the incorrect UVB prior. Some minor deformity to the casque. But looking at the casque shape now it is pretty much on point. I have gone over husbandry quite a few times specifically to UVB because the OP lives in an area where getting a hold of UVB lighting is difficult. They were able to a solarmeter 6.5 though and have had her under the correct UVB levels.
Can you explain casque deformity you mentioned ?

On this note, she ate like a champion this morning like always. I even gave her two small superworms as I was trying to get her out of the enclosure to take photos and she practically pounced on me to get to the supers, it was actually really cute 😍

Back
Top Bottom