female laying eggs?

emersonc

Re: female....once she reaches sexual maturity, she can produce eggs even when not mated. If you don't want to risk her dying eggbound, then you need to provide her with a place to dig to lay them in her cage.

can you expand on this, i have a female Panther Cham that is about one year old and i did not think that they produced eggs when there was no male present. Is this for all female chams or just some species???

emersonc...I said..."Re: female....once she reaches sexual maturity, she can produce eggs even when not mated. If you don't want to risk her dying eggbound, then you need to provide her with a place to dig to lay them in her cage"....and you asked..."can you expand on this, i have a female Panther Cham that is about one year old and i did not think that they produced eggs when there was no male present. Is this for all female chams or just some species???"...No, its not for all species....but veileds and panthers can produce eggs when not mated. Some don't and some do when it comes to panthers. The thing is that you don't want to risk missing their need to lay eggs and having no place to lay them or they can die eggbound. The best idea, IMHO is to provide a place for them to dig to show you that they need to lay eggs. Most chameleons have little trouble laying a clutch of infertile eggs as long as the husbandry has been good and they have a suitable place to lay them. Once in a while a female will have a problem due to mis-shaped eggs, fused eggs, reproductive tract deformities, etc....and then she needs to see a vet.

Hope this explains it well enough...if not feel free to ask more questions!

Back
Top Bottom