Female chameleon laying eggs, not eating

Ketaklysm

Hey guys, my roommate owns a female Veiled chameleon who has been laying eggs for the first time. He is out of country on a trip and I have been taking care of her. She is not eating, and I'm startin g to get a bit worried. I have a decent background with owning reptiles, but do not have much experience with chameleons, and he has been getting a lot of advice from a nearby "reptile emporium" that I feel is incorrect. Here on the stats on his chameleon and her setup:

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 1.5ft W x 1.5ft L x 3ft H screen cage (we covered one side with a blanket to help retain some heat for winter)

Lighting - we have 1 red basking/heat lamp (unsure of brand/model), 2 flukers 10.0 20 watt UVB spiral bulbs all in dome lamps. Lighting schedule is about 10 hours on, 14 hours off, red lamp is on always.

Temperature - Basking area/ top temp is average 85°, 75° mid cage, 65-70° bottom

Lowest overnight temp is about 10° less than the day temp in all areas. We have a digital thermometer/hydrometer

Humidity - 35% steady, but we mist several times a day which spikes it to about 55% for a while after. There is a dripper, a fog humidifier, a humidity stone, and a misting bottle.

Plants - all silk/plastic plants

Location - we keep her in the corner of our living room, but not in a very high trafficked area. There are no fans or vents but we do use a space heater nearby to regulate the room temperature. The cage is on a stand, so the base is about 2 feet off of the floor.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, approx. 1 year old. We have had her for about 5 months. Her coloration is mostly light/medium green with brown and yellow spots.

Handling - very infrequent. Only when absolutely necessary.

Feeding - she is very picky and will almost exclusively eat horn worms, but we mix it up with a dubia roach or butterworm every so often. We put 1-2 (depending on size) horn worms in her enclosure each morning. The reptile emporium my roommate goes to gives us some sort of paste-like food for the worms.

Supplements - we currently use flukers reptile vitamin and flukers calcium without vitamin D, we dust her worms every 3-4 days

Watering - she will only drink from her dripper. I mist her at least 4 times a day, for at least 30 seconds. I did see her drink a few days ago but she is fairly shy and doesn't like to be watched when eating/drinking.

Fecal Description - firm, smooth. Dark brown. She has not been tested for parasites.

History - we got her from a family that did not properly take care of her. She was much healthier after we took her in and has had no issues until she started laying.

Current Problem - she has not been eating since she started laying eggs. It has been about a week and a half. She is getting very skinny, her eyes are a bit sunken, and today I nearly thought she was dead at the bottom of the cage. We were told to put a container of sand in her cage so she could dig and lay her eggs. I found her curled up in the sand, unable to open her eyes because she was caked in it. I gently took her out and rinsed her in lukewarm water and used with a soft cloth to very carefully to clear her face, and she sprung back to life and opened her eyes. I have removed about 3-4 eggs per day from the sand for the past week. She looks much better now, but still won't eat.

I have personally suggested to look in to getting a variety of supplements for her, and I do not feel that her heating/lighting setup is adequate. I do not feel that the advice he is getting from the reptile emporium is accurate.

I can try to get her to a vet if needed, which I am now leaning towards doing, but I'd appreciate any input.
1217170031b_Film1.jpg
1217170031_Film1.jpg
1217170032_Film1.jpg

There are things that need to be changed in her husbandry but first let's talk about the egglaying.

She should not be dropping the eggs a few at a time. She should dig a hole...turn around butt down ...usually in the evening and lay all the eggs....fill the hole in and tamp it down and return to the branches hungry and thirsty.

The sand should be moist enough to hold a tunnel but not wet. Are you letting her see you when she is digging or in the hole?? It usually makes the female desert the hole and can lead to eggbinding if it happens often enough.

Now for some of the husbandry...
Ditch the red light and use a white regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that puts the basking temperature in the right range.

For supplementing...I use a phosphorus-free calcium powder at almost every feeding to help make up for the usually poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus found in most feeder insects.

I use a phosphorus-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month to ensure the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it...D3 supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues. I leave it to produce the rest of the D3 it needs from it's exposure to the UVB light.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene proFormed source of vitamin A (no D3). This won't build up in the system but it leaves it up to you to decide if/when the chameleon needs some prEformed vitamin A.

It's important to feed/gutload the crickets, roaches, superworms, locusts with greens, veggies, and a bit of fruit such as.... dandelion greens, collards, endive, escarole,, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, berries, apples, pears, melon, etc.
These same items can be offered to the veiled chameleons.

Appropriate basking temperature plays a part in digestion and thus in nutrient absorption.
Hydration is, of course, important too.

I recommend using real non toxic well washed ...both sides of the leaves since veileds are known to eat vegetation.

The big concern right now is that she is able to lay all the eggs she has inside her. If she doesn't she will likely become eggbound and need to be spayed.

It she becomes lethargic, sleeps during the day, sits low in the cage, or phantom lays then she is becoming eggbound but the issue is that by the time it's realized she may be too weak to do the surgery.

Thanks for the info! I will see what I can do about lighting for the time being. I'll pass on the info about the vitamins to my roommate, and get some veggies tomorrow. We have a large leaf over the sand for her privacy, and I try my best to not disturb her when she goes to dig. I have been misting the sand as well. She has been awake and active during the day today, basking and drinking water. It was actually yesterday when she was looking bad as I described, but now her eyes are a lot less sunken, her color is more even, and she hasn't been digging. Maybe she has laid all of them? I did not find any today or yesterday, and have probably removed roughly two dozen.

Hard to know if she laid them all..keep an eye on her and if she's not acting normal and behaving like I said above (lethargic, sleeps during the day, sits low in the cage)...then get her to a vet asap.

Yes, they were taken right before I posted. As soon as I am home I will take a few more
Hard to get a clear picture with the fogger going, but do these help?
Just got home from work and she is climbing around her basking area, seems to be doing okay. But it's lights out for her now.

Attachments

• 1218172205_Film1.jpg
    1218172205_Film1.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 1218172206_Film1.jpg
    1218172206_Film1.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 1218172206a_Film1.jpg
    1218172206a_Film1.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 139
Hard to get a clear picture with the fogger going, but do these help?
Just got home from work and she is climbing around her basking area, seems to be doing okay. But it's lights out for her now.
It is hard to tell. She may still have eggs, but I am not sure.

Back
Top Bottom