Femal Jackson chameleon randomly died today

There are different species of chameleons that have different husbandry requirements. Such as a Jackson chameleon they have different needs then say a vailed chameleon.. one of those requirements being that Jackson chameleons are much more sensitive to sumplements.. its basic care needs for a Jackson chameleon to have a supplement schedule of my previous post.

Your taunting " :p" face was immature.
AND
it is irresponsible of you to give out information that is incorrect. You run a risk of giving bad advice that could harm another keepers chameleon.. I'm sure that was not your intent.
I wasn't out of line by asking you to simply know the information your giving out is accurate or leave it to a more experienced keeper.

Thanks though. :)
First of all no shit. second the tauting face, if you didn´t notice was made by it self when I was describing WHY you use calcium in every feeding. the colon between calcium and phosphor in that sentence became the smiley face.

No. you was completly ignorant. Still are by your stament, and passivie aggressive, and I do not play passive aggressive. You are trying to come off as smart but you don´t not what the hell you are correcting and why. you want to play smart go do that with your friends.

Last edited:
woahahhhhhh! kids cool down!
Lee got a good point with the calcium-phorphorus calcium.. personally i try to obtain the best ratio possible.. i think calcium every feeding is not a bad idea if we talk about a light dusting (and if we talk about plain calcium with no phosphorus) BUT too much of calcium can also be bad (the body have to work with all this calcium)
There is no clear vitamin receipe all of this is based on experience and all this experience depend of the lightening you use, heat and what kind of feeder.. so you are both right and wrong at the same time :p

so is this possible too cool down? :) and try too explain your point and why you think your vitamin schedule is the best?

Personally.. i only gutload my feeders.. with calcium 1x a month (or more if gravid female) the only vitamin i give is vitamin A once a month..if i dont provide vitamin A i got gular oedema and eye/shed problem.. they eat cricket so phosphorus-ratio is not good but the cricket got a high calcium diet I got melleri (different but stll mountain one)

I don't know much about montane chameleons. Never owned one. But this is direct from the Jackson care sheet

Supplementation:
Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month.

JMDY.gif

I would just like to state that I wasn't arguing for or against anyone. I understand the arguments and thoughts on both sides. I was just simply presenting some info easily found on this site that was written by experts.

Just an innocent bystander here but I think his “taunting” face was actually a “:” next to a “p” when referring to the calcium to phosphorus ratio and the computer turned it into a tongue face hahahah. Gotta love technology.

So putting a dripper can help, anything else? I will defiently do it again. I have a healthy male that's still up and running. I was told wrong by the person I bought it from then. Is there anything I should add to make sure they grow up well?
First off, I would like to offer you my condolences for the loss of your little girl.
As for the rest...

I am the owner of a Jackson's as well and was taken aback by their care requirements. By those pictures I can tell that she was every dehydrated and maybe starving a little bit too. Their turrets should be full, not sunken in like that. Jackson's are a montane species and require a lot more humidity than other species like veiled and Panthers. Juveniles especially .

Juvenile Jackson's spend most of their time onon the grassy jungle floor in Kenya. Their humidity needs to be minimum of 80 at this stage with tons of foliage available for her to hide in. Jackson's are docile but don't like being in the spotlight so their privacy is a must if you want to see them bright and happy. Nighttime humidity should go all the way up to 100, just like in the wild. Temps should be 85 in basking, with a gradient from 75 to 69 in the rest of the enclosure, the low temps being down at the bottom so they can regulate their temps effectively.

Food...meal worms are HORRIBLE staple feeders. Super high in fat and hard shells that can lead to impaction . Staple feeders are Dubai's, .crickets , Phoenix works, gut loaded flies.

Misting sessions should be at least 3 minutes, sometimes 5. You want to see them clean their eyes and drink a little. Hand misting is done with warm water. They love it.

There's a lot more to it, but these are some very basic ones that will help keep your future Jackson's happy .

woahahhhhhh! kids cool down!
Lee got a good point with the calcium-phorphorus calcium.. personally i try to obtain the best ratio possible.. i think calcium every feeding is not a bad idea if we talk about a light dusting (and if we talk about plain calcium with no phosphorus) BUT too much of calcium can also be bad (the body have to work with all this calcium)
There is no clear vitamin receipe all of this is based on experience and all this experience depend of the lightening you use, heat and what kind of feeder.. so you are both right and wrong at the same time :p

so is this possible too cool down? :) and try too explain your point and why you think your vitamin schedule is the best?

Personally.. i only gutload my feeders.. with calcium 1x a month (or more if gravid female) the only vitamin i give is vitamin A once a month..if i dont provide vitamin A i got gular oedema and eye/shed problem.. they eat cricket so phosphorus-ratio is not good but the cricket got a high calcium diet I got melleri (different but stll mountain one)
It is not a matter of how we supplement, as I explained the reason for the calcium supplementation, ( calcium 2 : 1 phosphor) as you understood. But its about correcting someone without having any idea of what the person is talking about, and on top of that she quoted me giving the same advice as I gave with D3 1/ month, vitamins 1/month and she Writing "actually" as if I had say something different, Not knowing jack about Jacksons, correcting me on what I gonna say, and not even understanding what i said. But I have see this happening now and then, hell I saw one guy Calling out Necas about his knowledge, telling him he didn´t know what a hoehneliis was or something that like. I am not Necas, but I do know certain chameleons. And i have 0 patiences for that kinda crap. I do not do condescending, I do not do passive aggressive, I tell people straight off to fuck off.

it´s is really hard to oversupplement pure calcium without phosphor or D3, due it been water soluble.The animal should be able to get rid of the extra calcium if it has enough hydration, and Jacksons do need high humidity and hydration to start with. An adult animal is not fed everyday, it should be fed every other day or every 3 Days, some mountain as deremensis need a period of fasting, due otherwise become too fat and not living as long as they would. Taking that their food intake its cut down, by default their calcium intake is cut down aswell due you will be giving them calcium only with their Foods. they will be getting calcium every other day or every 3 Days, or just under ceratin periods while they are not fasting. If you tap water is not hard then it should not be a problem to get rid of any extra calcium.

http://www.chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html

Last edited:
Whoa people! This is a thread by someone who just lost there chameleon. Maybe try having some compassion and try to explain to the OP what they need to change and why instead of attacking each other. If you don't agree with someone else's post just give you own info in a well said and thought out way instead of getting angry.

Back
Top Bottom