Feisty Little Ball Of Fire.... Help?

Ok thanks, my baby is starting to shed. I heard warm water could help but she hates being misted. I can’t even get her out of the tank to give her a shower.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, and 4 months. 3 days
  • Handling - Not often at all
  • Feeding - crickets and mealworms. 8 crickets 5 mealworms? 5 of both in the mornings 3 more crickets at night. flukers orange cubes
  • Supplements - I dust all of the crickets everyday with calcium powder
  • Watering - dripper, fogger, and handmisting? i mist about 2 times a day for 2 min ? i dont see her drinking?
  • Fecal Description - fecals are normal and her urate is white. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?no
  • History - she was born somewhere in febuary

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? around 50%How are you creating and maintaining these levels? fogging and misting What do you use to measure humidity?hydrometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?no but im planning to put in hibisqis plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? dressser in my room Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? no At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? like 8 ft
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? houston texas

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
i havent seen her drinking.
the last time she pooped i didnt see any urate (it might be on a leaf somewhere)
i dont know how to do with the eggs. what doo i do with them after shes done? do they stop laying eggs at some point? i cant get her on my hand to weigh her. i barely know how old she is.
do they do well with dogs barking?
and why wont the water stay on the plants?

Does y’alls Cham spy on y’all too?

Attachments

• 5489191B-5E89-463D-A33C-2AF4B8195289.jpeg
    5489191B-5E89-463D-A33C-2AF4B8195289.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 94
Ok story time, when we were coming back from the pet store with Camille we let my 5 year old brother hold the crickets. Turns out that he didn’t know that they were FOOD not his PETS. So he started naming ALL OF THEM. To this day he still gets mad at me for feeding my pet with his pets!

I don't own any Yemen/Veiled chameleons so I will leave it to someone else to review your husbandry. @Beman @Brodybreaux25 @Thehippie etc.
There are a few things you need to work on.
Have you read the care sheet yet https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/ it will give you the conditions you need to reach.
I can answer some of your concerns.
i havent seen her drinking. Until they get used to you, you will rarely see them drink unless they are desperate. They will wait until you aren't looking. running a dripper will give her the opportunity.
the last time she pooped i didnt see any urate (it might be on a leaf somewhere) You will just have to keep an eye out for the next one and check if it is more white than yellow or orange. Hint of color is ok, mostly white is best.
i dont know how to do with the eggs. what doo i do with them after shes done? Non fertile eggs can be just dug up and tossed out. jokes will be made about omelets ignore them even if they come from me.
do they stop laying eggs at some point? She may when she is very old but give her a lay bin anyway just in case as there is no standard age.
i cant get her on my hand to weigh her. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-80-handling-your-chameleon/
i barely know how old she is.
do they do well with dogs barking? Chameleons are mostly deaf and are all about sight just keep the dog and anyone else from staring at her.
and why wont the water stay on the plants? I'm guessing your air conditioner is drying out the air in your house you may need to mist longer or more frequently but it all depends on what your hydrometer says. More live plants can help maintain humidity.

Hi there and welcome to the forum... See all feedback in Red Bold.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, and 4 months. 3 days You will need a lay bin.. They lay infertile eggs like chickens do. Here is a good blog. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/
  • Handling - Not often at all
  • Feeding - crickets and mealworms. 8 crickets 5 mealworms? 5 of both in the mornings 3 more crickets at night. flukers orange cubes Stop feeding mealworms they have very little nutritional value. It would be better to feed all crickets then to include the mealworms. See image for feeders. Diversity in what you feed is important. See Gutload image. It is important to feed your feeders so they can pass the nutrients on to your cham. Your flukers does nothing except hydrate the crickets. Feed her all at once in the morning so she has all day to bask and digest. You will want to also learn about the difference in feeding amounts for females they get reduced amounts because the more they eat the more eggs they have. The blog speaks to this too.
  • Supplements - I dust all of the crickets everyday with calcium powder What kind of calcium powder? Does it have D3 in it? She should be getting calcium without D3 at every feeding except 2 times a month she should have calcium with d3 and 2 times a month she should have a multivitamin. You can also look into Repashy calcium plus LoD and just use this as the only supplement to use on all feeders. dusting should be light not powdered donut effect.
  • Watering - dripper, fogger, and handmisting? i mist about 2 times a day for 2 min ? i dont see her drinking? You wont see her drink unless she is desperate or is comfortable with you. This link is a great podcast on naturalistic hydration. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/ Any of his podcasts are wonderful and a good way to learn quickly.
  • Fecal Description - fecals are normal and her urate is white. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?no Get her stool tested it is not uncommon for them to have parasites when bought from stores.
  • History - she was born somewhere in febuary

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? WHAT is the cage size... You will want a 2x2x4 to accommodate a permanent lay bin.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? We need to know this. You will need a T5HO fixture. If the fixture is a single or dual bulb you will get a 5.0 bulb. If it is a quad (4 bulbs) you will need a 10.0 bulb. Get the fixture in the 24 in length so you do not have to buy another one for the permanent cage. Lights should be on for 12 hours and total darkness for 12 hours. Basking branch should be 7-8 inches below the fixture. Fixture sits right on the cage.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? We have to know this... She should be at 85 max at basking at this age... This is another thing that gets adjusted slightly lower when she is of egg laying age.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? around 50%How are you creating and maintaining these levels? fogging and misting What do you use to measure humidity?hydrometer You should not fog during the day... Only at night when it is cool. She is fine with levels during the day between 30-50% max. Listen to the podcast on hydration that I gave you.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?no but im planning to put in hibisqis plant Hibiscus requires high light... I would stick to pothos or a dwarf umbrella tree or both. put 1 inch or larger river rock on the top of the soil to keep her from eating the dirt.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? dressser in my room Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? no At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? like 8 ft
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? houston texas
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

chameleon-food(1).jpg

chameleon-non-uvb-light.jpg

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Let her settle in and adjust to her space and your presence. If she is calm try hand feeding and if she want to climb on you let her don't pick her up unless you have to for some important reason for now.

How do I make a homemade Dripper? I tried using a push-pin to poke a hole in the bottom of a cup. But it came out like a steam. Plz help!

Back
Top Bottom