Feelings on foggers

Tinydino

Avid Member
I'm trying to learn more on the topic and whether my Cham would benefit from a fogger set for night time/ early morning.

day time humidity is great right now. Sits right at 40% But with the heat on in the house its hard to get humdity up at night time. Barely gets up to 70% and doesn't stay there long.

Considering looking into a fogger to run periodically throught the night time hours to keep the humidity up closer to where it needs to be.
What are everyones thoughts and opinions?
Will it help? Will any fogger work? Certain brands better than others?

Hi what type of enclosure do you have. I recently switched from an exoterra where I had good control over humidity to a repti breeze with less control in my home and hopefully my new hybrid will be a happy medium. I currently use a habistat fogger when my girl was in exo was easy to get humidity up and maintain not so easy with my repti breeze. But from what I have read if your cham sleeps in the same place you don't necessarily need the whole enclosure high humidity if your fogger is creating humidity in the area where they are sleeping or in that direction that should be a benefit. Chameleon academy ep 169 is a good listen/read . I keep a humidity gauge in that area to give an idea

Typically you drop the temp and up the humidity at night. But you also want the humidity to drop during the day when it heats up, else you will start getting mold/mildew since nothing will ever dry out.

Hi what type of enclosure do you have. I recently switched from an exoterra where I had good control over humidity to a repti breeze with less control in my home and hopefully my new hybrid will be a happy medium. I currently use a habistat fogger when my girl was in exo was easy to get humidity up and maintain not so easy with my repti breeze. But from what I have read if your cham sleeps in the same place you don't necessarily need the whole enclosure high humidity if your fogger is creating humidity in the area where they are sleeping or in that direction that should be a benefit. Chameleon academy ep 169 is a good listen/read . I keep a humidity gauge in that area to give an idea
I repurposed a oak cabinet as an enclosure. Its screen top, doors, with windoes cut into the side for airflow. Solid back.
My girl actually sleeps about 6 inches away from the gauge.

Typically you drop the temp and up the humidity at night. But you also want the humidity to drop during the day when it heats up, else you will start getting mold/mildew since nothing will ever dry out.
No problem with daytime humidity.
Its night time i have the issue with now that the heat is on in the house.
Thermostat for the house is set to 68.
We have hot water rads. So its not as dry as with forced air.

Would love to see pics . ? see i got a zoo med repti fogger but 2 days later I saw a habistat fogger and had to have it lol. There are pros and cons the habistat looks better and holds more water depending on how much you need but imo the zoo med has a more powerful fan and just does what it says no frills their model hasn't changed wish they would an upgrade. But there are humidifier units out there to consider I suppose doesn't have to be a repti brand

No problem with daytime humidity.
Its night time i have the issue with now that the heat is on in the house.
Thermostat for the house is set to 68.
We have hot water rads. So its not as dry as with forced air.

If you can shut off the radiator, the cham has no problem with night time drops into the mid 50's. Thats what im doing to keep humidity up.

Would love to see pics . ? see i got a zoo med repti fogger but 2 days later I saw a habistat fogger and had to have it lol. There are pros and cons the habistat looks better and holds more water depending on how much you need but imo the zoo med has a more powerful fan and just does what it says no frills their model hasn't changed wish they would an upgrade. But there are humidifier units out there to consider I suppose doesn't have to be a repti brand
Here is a pic from when I first got it done. I'm not exactly Handy. So I'm pretty pleased with it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201108-095824_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201108-095824_Gallery.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 81
If you can shut off the radiator, the cham has no problem with night time drops into the mid 50's. Thats what im doing to keep humidity up.
I have baseboard rads that run throughout my home. My Cham is not on a wall that has a rad. The closes one is 12 feet from her enclosure. Turning my heat off is not an option in the winter months.

So If I were to buy a cool mist humidifier/fogger. What would be the best time of night to run it?

I mist by hand after lights out. I make sure everything is dripping.
Humidity jumps to around 70%. Then when I check a couple hours later its dropped down to 50-60%
I mist again in the.morning before lights come of for the day.
It drops quickly onces the.lights are on.

Brŕrrrr nights getting cold. I'm not a plumber but my bro in law is heating technician not knowing your heating system wouldn't recommend shutting off a radiator as this could affect water pressure and more problems than the price of a fogger imo

Brŕrrrr nights getting cold. I'm not a plumber but my bro in law is heating technician not knowing your heating system wouldn't recommend shutting off a radiator as this could affect water pressure and more problems than the price of a fogger imo
I'm in Ontario Canada.
We use an outdoor woodburning furnace to heat the water in the winter months. The rads are low profile baseboard type.
I can't shut just one off. I would need to turn off the heat to a whole section of the house. (This would be fine on nights that don't get below freezing, but not Ideal when we get down to -20°c in the middle of winter)

Nah no chance. I only have had zoo med fogger and habistat. If you listen to Bill strand chameleon academy ep 169 maybe give better idea on humidity and hydration. @Kaizen could help out.

Nah no chance. I only have had zoo med fogger and habistat. If you listen to Bill strand chameleon academy ep 169 maybe give better idea on humidity and hydration. @Kaizen could help out.
Thank you. It was informative.
I think I will order a fogger and see if I can get the nighttime humidity up some

So imo the habistat has more programs which I don't need as it will only b run at night on a timer but has water capacity. So water capacity and efficiency to do the job. Also I only use the 1 pipe with them but will b creating a fog curtain where as I will b connecting it 2 a half inch pvc pipe going round the exterior of the enclosure

I'm in Ontario Canada.
We use an outdoor woodburning furnace to heat the water in the winter months. The rads are low profile baseboard type.
I can't shut just one off. I would need to turn off the heat to a whole section of the house. (This would be fine on nights that don't get below freezing, but not Ideal when we get down to -20°c in the middle of winter)
I’m in Ontario too. Yes, a nightime fogger will be a great addition. Nothing fancy: one of the cool mist humidifiers off amazon for like $40 will do. Run it all night. Here’s the rub, slime builds up on the hose and humidifier reservoir, and this can house bacteria. Personally, the few times I’ve kept chams in the house, I didn’t find this to be a problem, but I know some on this site are particularly vociferous about constantly cleaning your fogger and attached hoses. Anyways, I’d highly recommend adding one to your husbandry repertoire.

Another thread. But anyway something to consider for me i have only used distilled water so its supposed to do away with bacteria unlike ro water as I believe but which is more purified so it depends on the water type in your area and what you are using. But something I will have to check my hosing

Another thread. But anyway something to consider for me i have only used distilled water so its supposed to do away with bacteria unlike ro water as I believe but which is more purified so it depends on the water type in your area and what you are using. But something I will have to check my hosing
It’s not the bacteria in the water, it’s the bacteria in the air that eventually comes in contact with the water.

I’m in Ontario too. Yes, a nightime fogger will be a great addition. Nothing fancy: one of the cool mist humidifiers off amazon for like $40 will do. Run it all night. Here’s the rub, slime builds up on the hose and humidifier reservoir, and this can house bacteria. Personally, the few times I’ve kept chams in the house, I didn’t find this to be a problem, but I know some on this site are particularly vociferous about constantly cleaning your fogger and attached hoses. Anyways, I’d highly recommend adding one to your husbandry repertoire.
Thanks. I ordered one today. It should be here by next Wednesday.
The night time humidity really dropped when the heat got turned on. Of course it also helped a lot with the daytime humidity. Before it was a struggle to keep it at 50% or less. Now its an easy 40% during the day.

Back
Top Bottom