Feeling Wealthy

I haven’t decided yet if I’m jealous of your grasshoppers (think I am), but I am totally impressed with how neat you have them set up…like they’re living the good life.
Oh I have a large Reptibreeze coming Saturday! Took some advice from @sauceghandi on proper setup. The screen gives them a lot of surface area to hang on. I hope to use the 10 gallon for newly hatched nymphs.

Oh I have a large Reptibreeze coming Saturday! Took some advice from @sauceghandi on proper setup. The screen gives them a lot of surface area to hang on. I hope to use the 10 gallon for newly hatched nymphs.
Are you breeding? I ordered breeders fron Khai
(sauce ghanfi's partner). I use the medium reptibreeze - 16x16x30 - on sale Chewy.

Last edited:
(sauce ghanfi's partner). I use the medium reptibreeze - 16x16x30 - on sale Chewy.
Yep, I plan to! And I have space for maybe 5 enclosures in my back room if it really takes off. I watched this video which was very helpful, and asked @sauceghandi for some tips. It seems like they do well when they have a lot of room. The screen enclosure gives them plenty of surface area to cling to, and a 50\50 mix of coco fiber and sand with a moisture lay bin.

Yep, I plan to! And I have space for maybe 5 enclosures in my back room if it really takes off. I watched this video which was very helpful, and asked @sauceghandi for some tips. It seems like they do well when they have a lot of room. The screen enclosure gives them plenty of surface area to cling to, and a 50\50 mix of coco fiber and sand with a moisture lay bin.

Did u order breeder grasshoppers?

I have a really cool video of my grasshopper laying eggs. Here's a pic.
20231014_124730.jpg
20231014_124718.jpg

You are using your feeders to grow them to adults? OR - Are you catching wild grasshoppers and growing them up to breeding adults?
I bought 100 medium nymphs from @sauceghandi and I’m letting some of them grow up to breeding adults. Tony the veiled won’t eat them and Bert slowed down after his initial gluttony.

Did you put a substrate tray in the bottom? Branches? @sauceghandi
Uses chicken wire zip tie I to a cylinder shape in the middle, with a flat piece on top like a table. It’s smart because it’s easy to remove and clean

Did you put a substrate tray in the bottom? Branches? @sauceghandi
Uses chicken wire zip tie I to a cylinder shape in the middle, with a flat piece on top like a table. It’s smart because it’s easy to remove and clean
No substrate tray. Bare bottom. I haven't decided on branches or plastic chicken wire. I use a hand held vac for cleaning. Can you explain the chicken wire, table, cylinder thing. What's the purpose of the cylinder?

Last edited:
No substrate tray. Bare bottom. I haven't decided on branches or plastic chicken wire. I use a hand held vac for cleaning. Can you explain the chicken wire, table, cylinder thing. What's the purpose of the cylinder?
Where do your hoppers lay eggs without substrate?

I have a 8x8x3 plastic lay bin filled with 1/2 coco fiber and 1/2 washed play sand. It sits on the enclosure floor.
Wow that’s so much simpler. And they go in there and lay their eggs? The video I watched had all coco fiber and sand on the floor with a tub of moist sand and coco fiber he could remove for the eggs. But a bare floor with a single tray sounds way cleaner and better

Why oh why did Reptibreeze make the bottom door open inward? Seriously? In what world is that helpful?

I did come up with a cool way to hang their food. A 1”x2” board on top of the screen with hooks screwed up through the top of the screen into the board. Then run safety pins through the stems of collar greens, mustard greens, or dandelion greens and hang the safety pin on the hook. I can hang 3. That way poop doesn’t get on their food. I don’t like the food sitting on the poopy floor in those pics. That’s bacteria city

I added hooks to hang the food. I also cut a hole in the screen for easy access tp add moisture to the lay bin.
20231021_162427.jpg

I'm almost finished. I'm gonna add a hinged door to the hole.

Back
Top Bottom