feel really dumb.... but i need to ask!

azula

So i've heard a lot about people giving there chameleons showers. I was just wondering how exactly people do that. I mist my chameleon periodically throughout the day and once a week when i clean her cage i put the whole cage in my shower and turn on the water. I make sure the water doesn't hit her directly but jusst so she has the really humid air on her. She really hates this she tries to get out of her cage so i let her out and she crawls up my arm and climbs in my hair as fast as she can. I just need took know if idoing something wrong....???

In general I think people take an approach similar to the one you're taking, where the spray from the showerhead is deflected off the side of the shower. It's been a few years since I've done this personally, but my experiences (with Veiled and T. deremensis) were similar to yours: the animals just didn't seem to appreciate the experience very much.

In general I've had reasonable success with a few species (C. calyptratus, T. deremensis, and T. jacksonii xantholophus) with hand-spraying and controlling ventilation (screen works great outside here in Hawaii, or during the summer back in Michigan--less ventilation inside, during the dry winters is helpful in maintaining humidity).

For a really dehydrated animal, or a really large one with substantial water volume requirments I can understand trying the shower method, but I never had much luck with it, and stopped doing it after a while. Hand-spraying or using an automatic mister to spray the animal for a longer period (say 20-30 min), or something along those lines would, I think, work best for a lot of folks in a lot of situations.

Perhaps others have had better success using showers?....

cj

Chris explained showers very well. He is also correct that not all chams like them. If you are worried just mist your guy as ofter as you have time and your are holds out.:D

I never had success with the shower as such. First of all, given my shower, it sprays too much water with too much force, there's no way any animal is going to enjoy being beaten to death by the forceful deflection of water :D And also, it wasted way too much water. So I've always used a 5 gal pump sprayer from Lowe's or Home depot, filled it with hot water, and rigged it to spray gently at a plant in the tub. I try to angle the spray so it shoots up and sort of rains down on the chameleons, and they seem to enjoy this very much. And a 30 minute shower will only use 5 gals of water, instead of whatever it would use otherwise.

I also only do this when I really have to though, if my guys need more water for some reason. It's not something you HAVE to do, but it can be beneficial.

just stick a plant in the shower .. luke warm water ... point the shower head over the the plant .. leave your cham for about 10 15 min .. or until done drinking.. we do it once a week ... these guys make everything so complex .. just keep it simple .. your chams will love it

just stick a plant in the shower .. luke warm water ... point the shower head over the the plant .. leave your cham for about 10 15 min .. or until done drinking.. we do it once a week ... these guys make everything so complex .. just keep it simple .. your chams will love it

Yeah, I agree! This is the best way, we've done it forever like this..and never had any issues! Our chams drink everytime and love it!

Back
Top Bottom