Feeding?

Jbennaim

Hey this is my first time posting on here so I don’t know what to expect I’ve had this guy for 2 months know and he’s been doing great but he’s at that point where he’s not a juvenile or an adult so I’m wondering how much mealworms or superworms I should be feeding him just based off of his size I would say he’s 4-5 months and he’s around 10 inches long from head to tail I don’t know exactly

Attachments

• 64BD042E-768A-4565-8610-523CF5B7DA20.jpeg
    64BD042E-768A-4565-8610-523CF5B7DA20.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 191
  • CCECADD6-FF54-408D-ADF6-03BEFCCE69F4.jpeg
    CCECADD6-FF54-408D-ADF6-03BEFCCE69F4.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 64F3ED64-A389-4DE0-87B3-F81C5571FFCD.jpeg
    64F3ED64-A389-4DE0-87B3-F81C5571FFCD.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 201
Mealworms are high in fat and should only be fed as a treat/last resort when you can’t get crickets.

You should aim to feed 10+ medium/large crickets a day until he matures a little more.

Attachments

• D1E8F854-9057-45D9-A9F4-7BFC537FE2A6.jpeg
    D1E8F854-9057-45D9-A9F4-7BFC537FE2A6.jpeg
    673.8 KB · Views: 168
Mealworms are high in fat and should only be fed as a treat/last resort when you can’t get crickets.

You should aim to feed 10+ medium/large crickets a day until he matures a little more.
Meal worms shouldnt be feed at all they can cause impacted bowl and the chameleon can get addicted to eating them

Meal worms shouldnt be feed at all they can cause impacted bowl and the chameleon can get addicted to eating them

They can cause impaction if it’s all you feed them. They have about the same chitin content as crickets but crickets have a lot more moisture so they are easily digestible. If your are feeding a lot of soft bodied foods like silks and hornworms then a couple mealworms won’t hurt. The problem is that people only feed mealworms because it is easier then crickets. I don’t feed mealworms to my guys just saying.

The problem I have with crickets is the jump all over when I try to take them out of the cage I have them in. Every time I open the cricket cage at least three jump out do you have any tactics or ideas to help this?

You should get a colony of Dubia started,not only will benefit you but also your Cham and look into raising you own silkworms they are both a great staple feeders.

Ok I am going to go ahead and point out that your cham should not be showing BLACK as his colors... They do this when temps are not correct and they are trying to get warm. You may want to consider filling out the help form.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

The problem I have with crickets is the jump all over when I try to take them out of the cage I have them in. Every time I open the cricket cage at least three jump out do you have any tactics or ideas to help this?

Get a taller cage, or put the cage in a large bin or the bath tub or something. No mealworms should be fed, ever. Superworms, only as treats.

It may be possible he is just black because he hates pictures, I do agree he needs more room .

It may be possible he is just black because he hates pictures, I do agree he needs more room .
They do not go solid black like that due to cameras... This is typically seen where they are not getting the proper heat from lighting.

I am currently building a new cage it’s gonna be 2 feet wide 2 feet deep and 4 feet tall and he genuinely just hates pictures you’re right he’s always a nice green color till I put a phone near him

I am currently building a new cage it’s gonna be 2 feet wide 2 feet deep and 4 feet tall and he genuinely just hates pictures you’re right he’s always a nice green color till I put a phone near him
He also kind of gets mad when I’m in his enclosure like that but I keep the door open when I’m there and he comes out whenever he wants

They do not go solid black like that due to cameras... This is typically seen where they are not getting the proper heat from lighting.
His temperature is always at around 85-90 I have a temp gun that I always check up on him with

Back
Top Bottom