Feeding worms

JLSPLINTER

I have a young one that has eaten super worms from a bowl before (not much of them), but when I offered some silkworms or wax worms he will just walk around them and keep going. How do I get him interested in the worms? He don't seem to be interested in the DIY feeder either. His afraid of everything in the cage. When I put crickets in the screen he will eat from it. He also eat a horn worm from the screen, but wax and silk worms won't stay in the screen. I guess that if the worms are not moving he won't eat them.

I have a young one that has eaten super worms from a bowl before (not much of them), but when I offered some silkworms or wax worms he will just walk around them and keep going. How do I get him interested in the worms? He don't seem to be interested in the DIY feeder either. His afraid of everything in the cage. When I put crickets in the screen he will eat from it. He also eat a horn worm from the screen, but wax and silk worms won't stay in the screen. I guess that if the worms are not moving he won't eat them.
They’re attracted by movement... Mine won’t eat Dunia roach cuz they don’t really move. How old is he?

How old? When they are young they tend to eat what they are already familiar with. My male Veiled was about 7 months before he would really try anything else. He was 9 months before I finally got him to eat dubia.
Careful with waxworms they are really just all fat like a piece of cake.

How old? When they are young they tend to eat what they are already familiar with. My male Veiled was about 7 months before he would really try anything else. He was 9 months before I finally got him to eat dubia.
Careful with waxworms they are really just all fat like a piece of cake.

Attachments

• funny-Nike-add-rush-nap1.jpg
    funny-Nike-add-rush-nap1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 113
They’re attracted by movement... Mine won’t eat Dunia roach cuz they don’t really move. How old is he?
I don't know for sure. The guy in the store said that they don't keep track of the age of the chameleons. He is 4 to 5 inches whiteout the tail. Maybe 6 to 8 month? I think it was just a matter of time. I saw him try one. But not a bit more. I guess I'll share the wax worms with my daughter's hedgehog. He looks a little skinny though.

He's very clearly a nearly or possibly fully mature male. He's going to take a bit longer to adjust to new things. When I feed silks I set them on a broad flat leaf for my wild caught. Mine will eat from a feeder now but he shots into the feeder and need goes neat it. I've found that once you feed super worms regularly they start turning their horns up at most other things. You may want to try snails if you can get or make a clean colony. Jackson's really like them and they are a good part of a mixed feeder rotation.
He looks like he could use some help with his hydration. How often is he getting misted and are you boosting his humidity at night?
It will probably be easier to do this all at once. As my internet will be down this week. Here is a form that you can fill out for more answers.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

He's very clearly a nearly or possibly fully mature male. He's going to take a bit longer to adjust to new things. When I feed silks I set them on a broad flat leaf for my wild caught. Mine will eat from a feeder now but he shots into the feeder and need goes neat it. I've found that once you feed super worms regularly they start turning their horns up at most other things. You may want to try snails if you can get or make a clean colony. Jackson's really like them and they are a good part of a mixed feeder rotation.
He looks like he could use some help with his hydration. How often is he getting misted and are you boosting his humidity at night?
It will probably be easier to do this all at once. As my internet will be down this week. Here is a form that you can fill out for more answers.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
What supplements do you recommend? So far I'm using sampler from the kit I bought.

Attachments

• Cham info.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 112
While I’m new to chameleons and know nothing about Jackson’s, I can tell you that you need to remove the drinking dish. Chameleons drink only from the droplets on leaves and the dish is just a bacteria breeding ground. You’ll want to be spraying the enclosure for at least 2 minutes, making sure to get plenty on the leaves. You may want to add more plants.
The dome UVB lights are not providing any beneficial UVB. You’ll be needing a linear fixture, like a T5 that covers the length of the top of your enclosure. I don’t know specifically if Jackson’s have different UVB needs than veiled, but I use a Repti Sun 5.0.
For health and sanitation you should be removing any poop or debris (spot cleaning) daily.
I’m sure you’ll be receiving appropriate advisement on any other concerns from the experienced members.

Not necessarily. They have a reduced supplements schedule that is very different from Veiled or Panthers since they are a montaine species.
@JacksJill can give specifics since she is the expert with Jacksons. But I know that they are only supposed to have Calcium without D3 or phosphorus twice a week, Calcium with D3 once a month and a Multivitamin once a month. Then of course Vitamin A once a month if the multi does not include it.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. They have a reduced supplements schedule that is very different from Veiled or Panthers since they are a montaine species.
@JacksJill can give specifics since she is the expert with Jacksons. But I know that they are only supposed to have Calcium without D3 or phosphorus twice a week, Calcium with D3 once a month and a Multivitamin once a month. Then of course Vitamin A once a month if the multi does not include it.
Ohh Crap.... Wrong Thread... This is the Jackson not the veiled... Sorry for misleading you.

Ohh Crap.... Wrong Thread... This is the Jackson not the veiled... Sorry for misleading you.
About the water dish, I use it to collect the drops. It is only 1/2 inch drep so I clean it twice a day. The lamp that came with the kit is also a repti sun 5.0. The dracaena is pretty big and cover most of the back side of the cage. I also used the artificial plants that came with the kit.

Back
Top Bottom