Feeding times?

Generally speaking, about an hour or 2 after lights on in the morning. You should definitely not feed within 4 hours of lights out at night because they need time (and heat) to process their meal. If they can't do that, their lunch sits in their belly and can cause a lot of problems. Good luck! :D

Generally speaking, about an hour or 2 after lights on in the morning. You should definitely not feed within 4 hours of lights out at night because they need time (and heat) to process their meal. If they can't do that, their lunch sits in their belly and can cause a lot of problems. Good luck! :D

So what do people who work do? If lights out is 10pm (odds are hes in "bed" by 7-8) thats a 6pm cut off, thats a hard target for us 9-5 people. Ive had good luck feeding mine before my supper for the last 20 years. I give them a snack in the morning before i leave (caterpillar or a few meal worms).

Ive never heard of "problems" from night feedings. Since adults are fed every 2-3 days what is magical about 4 hours before lights out on feeding day?

Or is this 4 hour problem due to chams kept out doors that drop in the 50's every night?

My best answer is to feed early in the day to allow for proper digestion. I don't have an exact timeline of how long it would take to fully digest a meal, but I would say at least two hours would be needed. I try to put the feeders in the feeding cup right before I leave for work (still dark in the cage) so the meal is ready when Zaphod is. :) I'm not sure if a chameleon would have sleeping issues from non-digested foods, but I know many people do! :D Without a basking light or enough warmth, the digestion would not occur as easily or efficiently and nutrients could be passed instead of absorbed. Just my two cents worth! ;)

I was wondering about this too..

I think putting the lights on a timer is going to work the best for me. If they need (I have a veiled) 12 hours of uvb a day I can set the lights to come on at 7am and go off at 9pm. I mist at 8, and then release crickets into his viv a little while after that.
I can't wait to get my Aquazamp Rainhood set up, because it is more reliable than me, and he hates these hand mistings. I never see him drinking, so I am hoping this will work for us.

I too feed in the morning before I goto work when the lights are out. I do give him some more after I get home a lot as well since he's a juv yet. My veiled I have yet to see actually drinking...I have seen him with his mouth opening and closing after a misting as if he may have been, but is usually partially hidden or thinks I can't see him. I try not to feed at least an hour before lights out or more.

Back
Top Bottom