Feeding times?

absolutbill

Chameleon Enthusiast
Generally speaking, about an hour or 2 after lights on in the morning. You should definitely not feed within 4 hours of lights out at night because they need time (and heat) to process their meal. If they can't do that, their lunch sits in their belly and can cause a lot of problems. Good luck! :D

nightanole

Chameleon Enthusiast
Generally speaking, about an hour or 2 after lights on in the morning. You should definitely not feed within 4 hours of lights out at night because they need time (and heat) to process their meal. If they can't do that, their lunch sits in their belly and can cause a lot of problems. Good luck! :D
So what do people who work do? If lights out is 10pm (odds are hes in "bed" by 7-8) thats a 6pm cut off, thats a hard target for us 9-5 people. Ive had good luck feeding mine before my supper for the last 20 years. I give them a snack in the morning before i leave (caterpillar or a few meal worms).

Ive never heard of "problems" from night feedings. Since adults are fed every 2-3 days what is magical about 4 hours before lights out on feeding day?

Or is this 4 hour problem due to chams kept out doors that drop in the 50's every night?

Decadancin

Moderatoris Americanus
Staff member
My best answer is to feed early in the day to allow for proper digestion. I don't have an exact timeline of how long it would take to fully digest a meal, but I would say at least two hours would be needed. I try to put the feeders in the feeding cup right before I leave for work (still dark in the cage) so the meal is ready when Zaphod is. :) I'm not sure if a chameleon would have sleeping issues from non-digested foods, but I know many people do! :D Without a basking light or enough warmth, the digestion would not occur as easily or efficiently and nutrients could be passed instead of absorbed. Just my two cents worth! ;)

stephga

I was wondering about this too..

I think putting the lights on a timer is going to work the best for me. If they need (I have a veiled) 12 hours of uvb a day I can set the lights to come on at 7am and go off at 9pm. I mist at 8, and then release crickets into his viv a little while after that.
I can't wait to get my Aquazamp Rainhood set up, because it is more reliable than me, and he hates these hand mistings. I never see him drinking, so I am hoping this will work for us.

Brandonmh

I too feed in the morning before I goto work when the lights are out. I do give him some more after I get home a lot as well since he's a juv yet. My veiled I have yet to see actually drinking...I have seen him with his mouth opening and closing after a misting as if he may have been, but is usually partially hidden or thinks I can't see him. I try not to feed at least an hour before lights out or more.

Top Bottom