Feeding schedules

Hey love... You should see him start to curb back on his own by the time he hits 6 months old. Beman did. But at 6 months he was getting 10-12 feeders a day then by 9 months I had him cut back to about 8 a day. He did another curb back on me at this time. I had him transitioning to an every other day feeding schedule by 10 months old. I did this over a month reducing my feeders by 2 each week and then by the end of that month he was only eating every other day. So you would give say 8 one day next 6, 8, 6, 8, 6 then cut back by two the next week. 8, 4, 8, 4 etc. Once he hit 12 months in June he started getting 5 feeders every other day... Depending on what I am feeding and the size of them. As you know he is getting a little chunk to his casque however so I have curbed him back to 3 feeders every other day and then he free eats BSF and Blue bottle flies when they hatch out.

Hey love... You should see him start to curb back on his own by the time he hits 6 months old. Beman did. But at 6 months he was getting 10-12 feeders a day then by 9 months I had him cut back to about 8 a day. He did another curb back on me at this time. I had him transitioning to an every other day feeding schedule by 10 months old. I did this over a month reducing my feeders by 2 each week and then by the end of that month he was only eating every other day. So you would give say 8 one day next 6, 8, 6, 8, 6 then cut back by two the next week. 8, 4, 8, 4 etc. Once he hit 12 months in June he started getting 5 feeders every other day... Depending on what I am feeding and the size of them. As you know he is getting a little chunk to his casque however so I have curbed him back to 3 feeders every other day and then he free eats BSF and Blue bottle flies when they hatch out.
Ugh I really need to get him to start eating bsfl!
Ok so I still have a bit before he will start eating less then? And Beman just sort of did it on his own? I dont want to have a chunky cham!

Ugh I really need to get him to start eating bsfl!
Ok so I still have a bit before he will start eating less then? And Beman just sort of did it on his own? I dont want to have a chunky cham!
When Beman hit 6 months he all the sudden went from like 18 a day down to 9-12. I have seen in a lot of other threads that it seems to be quite common at 6 months and then at 9 months. They auto curb themselves. But you still want to be mindful of it. I think the most important thing is when you start to get them over to every other day feeding. You do not want to just be like "hi nope none for you today" lol. So that slow adjustment each week they are able to curb back without shocking their system.

Now I kept expecting Beman to get more length to him. So I was not as mindful of the fact that his weight was going up but his length was not... Hence the sexy pop of chunk he has going on. :p But he is a very healthy boy right now so I will slowly curb his feeders here and there over the next few months so he starts to take a few grams off.

When Beman hit 6 months he all the sudden went from like 18 a day down to 9-12. I have seen in a lot of other threads that it seems to be quite common at 6 months and then at 9 months. They auto curb themselves. But you still want to be mindful of it. I think the most important thing is when you start to get them over to every other day feeding. You do not want to just be like "hi nope none for you today" lol. So that slow adjustment each week they are able to curb back without shocking their system.

Now I kept expecting Beman to get more length to him. So I was not as mindful of the fact that his weight was going up but his length was not... Hence the sexy pop of chunk he has going on. :p But he is a very healthy boy right now so I will slowly curb his feeders here and there over the next few months so he starts to take a few grams off.
He is a little bit of a thiccy isnt he?! Still a handsome boy.

I'll be mindful of the 6 month change, thank you!

I feel like Basil is doing this now and he’s close to 6 mo. He has only been eating 5-6 crickets/super worms a day for the past week. BUT I just got my roaches and he was VERY interested lol! I gave him 2 and he gobbled them right up. I will bookmark this post so I can reference later lol. Now I don’t have to ask :LOL:

I feel like Basil is doing this now and he’s close to 6 mo. He has only been eating 5-6 crickets/super worms a day for the past week. BUT I just got my roaches and he was VERY interested lol! I gave him 2 and he gobbled them right up. I will bookmark this post so I can reference later lol. Now I don’t have to ask :LOL:
Yeah I got all worried when Beman first did it... Fortunately I found a mentor to bug when he did it at 9 months. I still freaked out about him not eating as much though :hilarious:

Ok so from everything I have read within the forum Veileds are worse about it. But it may be that he just has not hit his I want a woman phase yet lol.

Really? I haven't kept veileds, but I found my Panthers to be terribly picky around the puberty stage. Panthers also seem to go through these hunger strike seasonal modes IME.

Not saying you're wrong at all. I just always thought that Panthers were the worst with it lol

Really? I haven't kept veileds, but I found my Panthers to be terribly picky around the puberty stage. Panthers also seem to go through these hunger strike seasonal modes IME.

Not saying you're wrong at all. I just always thought that Panthers were the worst with it lol
LOL no as far as how Veileds pace and want out during puberty. Robin's Panther Max is 9 months old but has not started any of that. Where as Janet and I both have it with our male veileds.

What do you think? Did your Male Panthers pace and go to the bottom and want out when puberty hit?

Blueberry did really bad at 10 months and he does it about every spring
So guessing that Max just hadn't got that stage yet then. He also hadn't gone on any hungry strikes yet. I would say maybe I'm just lucky, but I know better than that! So I will just brace for impact! He has such a lovely disposition, I can easily handle him, take him outside for sun, and he eats everything I give him; I don't want that to change! Wah!

Back
Top Bottom