Feeding Schedule, Amount and Supplementation

As for a feeding plan, I don’t have a ton to go off of, but I guess something like this for an adult male
Every second day, two-to-three crickets, two-to-three BSFL, one superworm and one silkworm or hornworm. Then waxworks or butter worms maybe as an occasional treat? Usual dusting and multivitamin schedule found on the caresheet and usual safe gutloads would be used. Might breed some of the more expensive bugs if it is doable.
Variety is key but you will find it doesn't always work the way you want it to. Chams are picky buggers. They tend to have 1 or 2 favorite items and only want those. Refusing others. As long as he gets around 8-10 quality stable feeders (crickets, silks, roaches, moths, flies) gutloaded food items every other day is all that matters.

Hello @ChamQuestions super worms are very addictive to many chameleon’s . Often they will refuse all other feeders . Please use super worms as treats not staple . Crickets , roaches , silkies , BSF can all be staple . @jamest0o0 @Andee or @Matt Vanilla Gorilla can help you with other roaches if you have the interest .
Part of the reason I lost my first chameleon because she would only want superworms and I indulged her. I didn’t think I could get her to eat something else and I was not doing my homework or paying attention to providing a balanced diet. She was already weak when I got her, and the superworms were too hard on her digestive system. She got impacted.
My current Chams go through phases where they want just one feeder. I have to get them to try something new by slipping it in as they chew or let them get hungry to get them the variety they need. Im new. I’m still trying to get it figured out, but I’ll just say don’t expect them to always eat the same feeders the same way- be ready to adapt. I also found keeping a log/journal is very important.

Honestly to me it seems like mine are with eating like kids are with their favorite movies. They get obsessed with one treat item, and you’re thinking “this is easy but can’t be healthy...” because it isn’t.

Part of the reason I lost my first chameleon because she would only want superworms and I indulged her. I didn’t think I could get her to eat something else and I was not doing my homework or paying attention to providing a balanced diet. She was already weak when I got her, and the superworms were too hard on her digestive system. She got impacted.
My current Chams go through phases where they want just one feeder. I have to get them to try something new by slipping it in as they chew or let them get hungry to get them the variety they need. Im new. I’m still trying to get it figured out, but I’ll just say don’t expect them to always eat the same feeders the same way- be ready to adapt. I also found keeping a log/journal is very important.

I’m so sorry to hear this and that was your first experience . Very very sad .

No way only superworms would cause impaction, likely some other issue triggered it.

Edit: just saw you said she was weak when you get her, my bad!

I had never seen a healthy chameleon so I didn’t realize that she was so frail when I got her right away. I’d take her to the vet immediately today, but I just didn’t see it. I thought her lack of appetite was going to go away if I found the right food. Then I thought maybe more vitamins would do the trick or more water so I overdid both. When she was excited about superworms I didn’t think twice, I thought she would gain a little weight or grow. I think vets are critical. So is this community and research.

Does that mean that I will have to add more or is it sort of complete?
As @GoodKarma19 said . When you add start small . Sometimes they can be picky . My wasabi will not eat supers . They utterly offend him . Where my pork chop I have to be very careful with worms , he will put him self on a worm buffet . It will take a few weeks of only offering crickets and roaches . Then no worms for a few months .

As @GoodKarma19 said . When you add start small . Sometimes they can be picky . My wasabi will not eat supers . They utterly offend him . Where my pork chop I have to be very careful with worms , he will put him self on a worm buffet . It will take a few weeks of only offering crickets and roaches . Then no worms for a few months .
Aright, good to know!

Back
Top Bottom