Feeding my Chammy Phoenix worms

Chammy007

Established Member
Hello, my Jackson’s absolutely loves Phoenix worms. How many should he be fed per serving? How many times per day?II don’t want to over feed him. At the same time I don’t want him to become malnourished. Thanks

The amount of feeders you need depends on the age of your chameleon. They should only be fed once a day, in the morning so they have time to digest.

The amount of feeders you need depends on the age of your chameleon. They should only be fed once a day, in the morning so they have time to digest.
Unless they are babies, where they'd be fed multiple times a day, the amount of times dependent on their age, as well.

Unless they are babies, where they'd be fed multiple times a day, the amount of times dependent on their age, as well.
Yes, that's true too. Thank you for elaborating on that :) I think if I remember from previous posts OP didn't have a baby but I definitely could be mistaken.

Was he bought from a breeder? If not, post some pics and @JacksJill and/or @Kaizen will be able to help you!
Hello, he measures at just about 7“ head to tail. I bought him from Petco. thanks much.
948B0E0E-C813-4316-81EE-42B4A0CF6336.jpeg
2C6703CC-7F46-4683-A58E-4E4FA3C71DF4.jpeg

I have only raised up one, but I would agree that he seems to be under a year old, though it's kind of hard to tell since he probably wasn't given the best care at the pet store. He seems pretty skinny and could probably fed as a subadult regardless of actual age for a month or two. Could probably feed 10ish food items (depending on size) every other day. Then depending on how he looks, you could reduce to 2-4 food items every other day.

What do you think about this feeding regimen @JacksJill?

I feed a lot of BSFL or phoenix worms when I have them but I have never fed them as my only feeder. I personally hand feed those as many as he will take from me up to a dozen (but my guys are smaller). I feed them on days I don't supplement. I feed crickets or dubia on dusting days.
I can see his pelvis so feeding him daily for a couple or three months until it gets some coverage would be fine. If he hunger strikes back off to every other day feeding then.

3/4'' is perfect for a cham that size. I wouldn't go with the smalls. Full-grown BSFL shouldn't be a problem for a medium-sized cham. Should be fine for smaller chams as well (as long as the width is smaller the distance between the eyes). With BSFL, you want them to be large enough for the cham to (hopefully) chew them up and break the bsfl skin so they can digest them better.

I feed a lot of BSFL or phoenix worms when I have them but I have never fed them as my only feeder. I personally hand feed those as many as he will take from me up to a dozen (but my guys are smaller). I feed them on days I don't supplement. I feed crickets or dubia on dusting days.
I can see his pelvis so feeding him daily for a couple or three months until it gets some coverage would be fine. If he hunger strikes back off to every other day feeding then.
Hello, any tips on how to hand feed my Jackson’s? When I extend my hand to him he hisses, and stands his ground.thanks

Back
Top Bottom