Feeding my Cham while I’m away

AlbertTheCham

Hi everyone. New here ✋ Ive had my chameleon for 2 months. Everything is going great! However I am going out of town for 5 days and need some tips. Ive read thru a lot of forums about this already. Most suggest either having a sitter or that they are ok with not eating for a few days. I don’t trust my room mate to feed him while I’m away. I’m taking my dog with me cuz he’ll forget to feed the dog too. Or give it water. 🙄 anyways… Ive also never skipped a day of feeding him so I don’t want to all the sudden go a stretch of 5 days. He should only be about 3 months old so I’m still feeding him twice a day.

my question… can I put an open bin of gut loaded crickets/worms in the enclosure for him to “free feed”? I can have my roommate check on him. His whole enclosure is set up and running on timers. I’m worried he might eat all of them at once. Can they self regulate when there’s like 50 crickets?

Hmmm yeah you could maybe do like a trough of feeders. I add some food like bee pollen, spirulina, and pieces of veggies that don't mold to my feeder cups so the insects have something nutritious to eat. Make sure the cham can't fall in and get stuck though. You could also hatch a bunch of black soldier flies and/or bottle flies in the enclosure.

Hi everyone. New here ✋ Ive had my chameleon for 2 months. Everything is going great! However I am going out of town for 5 days and need some tips. Ive read thru a lot of forums about this already. Most suggest either having a sitter or that they are ok with not eating for a few days. I don’t trust my room mate to feed him while I’m away. I’m taking my dog with me cuz he’ll forget to feed the dog too. Or give it water. 🙄 anyways… Ive also never skipped a day of feeding him so I don’t want to all the sudden go a stretch of 5 days. He should only be about 3 months old so I’m still feeding him twice a day.

my question… can I put an open bin of gut loaded crickets/worms in the enclosure for him to “free feed”? I can have my roommate check on him. His whole enclosure is set up and running on timers. I’m worried he might eat all of them at once. Can they self regulate when there’s like 50 crickets?
You could also ask someone to come over every day that’s what I’m going to do when I go on a ten day vk in August my neighbor is totally down

I prime a bunch of BSFL to hatch out while I'm gone. I fill my Shooting Gallery feeder with a few different bugs and a huge chunk of carrot. I know the supers will go before I leave the room and the crickets in between and for most the dubia last. If you have a veiled then all bets are off and you will need someone to add bugs a couple times.

You could also ask someone to come over every day that’s what I’m going to do when I go on a ten day vk in August my neighbor is totally down
I might go to Virginia from Georgia in a few days and im kinda freaked out lol. If I do go I’ll leave him with a close friend. When I got her a pet goldfish she’d call every five minutes like “HE LOOKED AT ME WEIRD I THINK HE’S DYING!!!” So I know she’ll take care of Van well lol. This thread helps though, I like the hatching flies idea so they don’t gorge themselves!

I might go to Virginia from Georgia in a few days and im kinda freaked out lol. If I do go I’ll leave him with a close friend. When I got her a pet goldfish she’d call every five minutes like “HE LOOKED AT ME WEIRD I THINK HE’S DYING!!!” So I know she’ll take care of Van well lol. This thread helps though, I like the hatching flies idea so they don’t gorge themselves!
He’s alive lol

Back
Top Bottom