Feeding help.

LifeWithLeo

I just got my Chameleon, Leo, 3 days ago. The people at Petsmart couldn’t tell me a whole lot about him as far as age goes, the best they could do was “guess” that he’s around a year old. I asked what they typically fed him & they said just crickets. I asked how often & one person told me twice a day, another told me every other day. So I’m not exactly sure what type of feeding schedule he’s been on. His first bm was normal but the urate was completely orange! From what I’ve read I am assuming he was pretty dehydrated. Today he had his 2nd bm & the urate was completely white so I’m taking that as a good sign. Being new to this I’ve read lots of things online & watched multiple videos but I’m still not sure what to do about feeding him. How often? Am I giving enough, or too much possibly? Today he ate about 10 to 12 crickets in total. The day before he ate about 5, & the day he came home with me he had maybe 2 or 3. Is he overeating? Should I feed him daily, or spread the feedings out? How many crickets should he have per feed?

Attachments

• 783C9A74-534D-458F-87FE-6DA51492E8AB.jpeg
    783C9A74-534D-458F-87FE-6DA51492E8AB.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 7C5A29A4-8E5E-480B-9FF3-39E10A37CBCF.jpeg
    7C5A29A4-8E5E-480B-9FF3-39E10A37CBCF.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 89
Welcome! Just looking at the pics in my opinion he doesn’t look a year old. The casque looks small. I’m thinking 6 months or less but it could be the pics. If you can send more pics of him that would help. If he is less than a year you can feed him every day. Make sure you lightly dust all crickets with calcium NO D at every feeding. They should be fed in the morning so they have the rest of the day to digest the food. Basking aids in their digestion so it’s best not to feed them late in the day.
On another note since you bought him at Petsmart they probably sold you a chameleon kit with a coil uvb bulb and did not give you all the info on how to be a successful keeper. That’s where we come in :D Before you spend any more money on an unnecessary set up, I would HIGHLY recommend making sure he has a cage 2x2x4 and linear uvb T5HO. I will attached a pic. There may be other things you need to know as far as gut loading feeders, misting, temps, humidity, etc. We are here to help but just keep in mind that it is a process to get the husbandry on point.

Attachments

• 75E0A63A-99E1-48DC-AE29-B1FC35A1A6AC.jpeg
    75E0A63A-99E1-48DC-AE29-B1FC35A1A6AC.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 70
  • AA3DEFFE-BA06-4BE5-BBA1-F4868D54AAA2.jpeg
    AA3DEFFE-BA06-4BE5-BBA1-F4868D54AAA2.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 89
  • 545D1515-E015-493A-9C58-B80AFA1689AD.jpeg
    545D1515-E015-493A-9C58-B80AFA1689AD.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 96
Welcome! Just looking at the pics in my opinion he doesn’t look a year old. The casque looks small. I’m thinking 6 months or less but it could be the pics. If you can send more pics of him that would help. If he is less than a year you can feed him every day. Make sure you lightly dust all crickets with calcium NO D at every feeding. They should be fed in the morning so they have the rest of the day to digest the food. Basking aids in their digestion so it’s best not to feed them late in the day.
On another note since you bought him at Petsmart they probably sold you a chameleon kit with a coil uvb bulb and did not give you all the info on how to be a successful keeper. That’s where we come in :D Before you spend any more money on an unnecessary set up, I would HIGHLY recommend making sure he has a cage 2x2x4 and linear uvb T5HO. I will attached a pic. There may be other things you need to know as far as gut loading feeders, misting, temps, humidity, etc. We are here to help but just keep in mind that it is a process to get the husbandry on point.
Thank you so much for your response! I’ll add some more photos & try to get some better ones for size comparison. I believe he is a little under a year as well, but again, I am new to this so I’m not really sure. Since getting him home with me I have been feeding him in the morning time, so I’m glad to know I’ve been doing that part right! As well as trying to give him some time outside in the sun each day. His lights for the enclosure come on at 7 am, & go off automatically at 7 pm. Is that adequate enough? I am not currently using any lights at night. As soon as they go off he is pretty content & usually goes right to sleep. The kit I purchased did come with the coil UVB & a blue daytime light as you mentioned, but I knew that was not the proper setup for long term use & have placed an order for a linear uvb! I am misting his enclosure about 3 to 4 times a day, & he also has the Big Dripper for water intake as well. Crickets have been dusted with calcium, but so far that is the only supplement I have for him so far.

Attachments

• 76A5CBDA-5B2B-41DB-8C4F-85F32DB8523D.jpeg
    76A5CBDA-5B2B-41DB-8C4F-85F32DB8523D.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 3F07FA20-B117-4460-8B43-C0C147ADF525.png
    3F07FA20-B117-4460-8B43-C0C147ADF525.png
    896.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 2C3F9755-722B-41C9-BBF8-CD3532B0690C.jpeg
    2C3F9755-722B-41C9-BBF8-CD3532B0690C.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 66

Agreeing with this age guess. They were probably confused because of the cask and the ones they usually get in are 1-3 months old and are told theyre 4-6 and havent devloped a large cask.

Back
Top Bottom