feeding dubia really high proteins

ColorCham427

Avid Member
has anybody tried giving their colony a serious high amount of protein? like some sort of body building powder or something of that sort...? lol i would like to figure out what would be a crazy amount of protein that wouldnt harm the roaches!

has anybody tried giving their colony a serious high amount of protein? like some sort of body building powder or something of that sort...? lol i would like to figure out what would be a crazy amount of protein that wouldnt harm the roaches!

What would be the reason for doing such a thing?

as i understand it to much protein leads to gout or gular edema, and that is why people recomend against feeding dubia that have been raised on the crushed dogfood that comes with them, until it is all used up, because the dog food contains too much protein . i think to proceed without a definitive answer would be very risky. sandra chameleon seems to be very informed on cham nutritional issues ,if she doesnt chime in shortly you may want to shoot her a pm

Protein from animal sources isnt desirable for chameleons, so if the roaches are destined for Chameleon tummies, perhaps caution is needed. But I dont suppose extra protien would hurt the roaches themselves. Are your roaches into body building? ;)

Unless you are all interested in insect animal rights, I dont see a problem in giving the feeders high protein food for growth. It should be replaced with a better gutload in good time though, I fail to see how this could have any negative effect on the chameleon as protein itself is not stored in the insect in its original form.

im talking about boosting them up and helping out my colony. NOT for gutloading and feeding off to my chameleons. sorry, should have been more specific.

If you want to additional protien I would just boil and egg peal it and give it to them. I think egg protein would be your best bet, because it's cheap and it would be more effective. Not all proten shakes are the same and it's different proteins, like why whey (isolates, concentrate, and hydrolyzed), casein, and egg protein. I buy a blend and still pay around $50 for 5lb's. The cheap stuff isn't as effective. I cant afford to take 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of my BW daily. So I take a couple shakes, and try to eat more eggs, fish, chicken, and beef. If it ends up working and the dubia do give you more nymphs I don't think it would be worth it cost wise. All I do is offer a boiled egg once every 1-2 weeks and so far so good. If you want a really high protein feed, try gamebird feed, or fish feed.

Also I just checked and I buy a 4.6lb container for $50, 24 grams of protein per serving.

i feed my roaches the regualr gut load but add i straight plain simple protein complex dont remeber the name but its the only forum and it has help tremedously wiht the roaches activity and breeding its like crack to them and there is a noticable difference in both my chameleon and the roaches and havent observe any side effects and have been doing this for over a month. i do recommend it

Ask the guy who lives here! His neighbours dissappeared too! :D

cockroach2.jpg

this Isopod was fed high protein too.
r_Giant_isopod.jpg

LOL yeah true that guys, im sticking to the eggs and cat/dog food thing, and Sandra... I LOVE YOUR NEW AVATAR!!! THAT GIRL IS GORGEOUS!!!

Back
Top Bottom