Feeding and water crickets

dondi13

I have a small cricket pen and a bunch of small crickets in there for my yemen cham who's 10weeks. But my question is how much water do i give them is it like daily? I use the spong water try and i just put some old fruit or potatoes on there too. Just wondering to how long there life span will be.

They live 3 months or less. Or rather that's their life cycle. It depends when you get them. Don't count on it though.

You want to feed them (gutload) a variety of good for your cham fruits and veggies. Check out the blog section for ideas https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/best-entries/

Besides that they'll need egg crate and or paper rolls and space. Don't Crowd them or they kill each other.

In my experience, you don't need to provide them with any water, as long as you feed them plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Potatoes are not the best thing to feed them, despite the fact that that is usually what they are fed before you get them.

Hey blink. So you think a segment of orange or carrot is just as good as water? Would make sence as its packed with it anyway

I provide plain water via cotton balls. I figure more water they get, and they do drink from them very often, the more water my Cham gets. They're made up of mostly water, like us, so it figures for me.

And yeah, some people do just fine with just fruits/Veggs as a water source. I do both.

Hey blink. So you think a segment of orange or carrot is just as good as water? Would make sence as its packed with it anyway
Yep. It reduces the risk of drowning and the hastle of water crystals, as long as they are provided with the fruits and vegetables regularly and the stuff is fresh, they seem to be fine without any additional water. Also, you might want to consider adding more of a variety to your chamleon's diet. Crickets are great, but naturally in the wild, chameleons would have access to an unlimited source of insects. You could try silkworms, hornworms, superworms, Phoenix worms, roaches, butter worms, etc...

For water I use a folded unprinted paper towel. It holds lots of water, crickets can't drown in it and I replace it every other day so it's virtually bacteria free.
Instead of egg carton to climb on which gets soiled and can hold bacteria I use pieces of aluminum screen that I bend around into little tubes which provides lots of surface area and easy clean up and no smell. Theres virtually no cricket deaths.

Back
Top Bottom