Feeding and enclosure

jennleila

I just fed our chameleon 6 dusted crickets. She was moved into a 24x24x48 all screen cage last night from a smaller cage, about 1/3 or half the size it is now. We saw her eat one cricket but went to her basking spot. Do they usually eat all crickets in a short time; like one after another, or do they take their time and eat throughout the day? I'm asking because she's in a bigger cage now and maybe can't find the other crickets. She is about 4 months old. Could the cage be too big for her? It is also heavily planted.

I would love some input on how I set up the enclosure. I have attached some pictures. Please let me know if my setup is okay. I have an umbrella plant, ficus and croton in the cage. I will have a 18 inch reptisun 5.0 linear going across the top later today. Right now there is a Zoomed nocturnal infrared heat lamp,100 watts. Is that too hot or does it just matter that the temperature is suitable where she basks? It should be 85-95 in her basking area, right? Currently their is a UVB compact fluorescent light but I will be taking it out for the 5.0 linear.

I was also reading that the red light can bother their sleep. If my house gets down to 50 in the middle of the night, does she still need a heat lamp? I read that they can tolerate 40 degrees but that seems too cold.

Attachments

• IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 150
I just fed our chameleon 6 dusted crickets. She was moved into a 24x24x48 all screen cage last night from a smaller cage, about 1/3 or half the size it is now. We saw her eat one cricket but went to her basking spot. Do they usually eat all crickets in a short time; like one after another, or do they take their time and eat throughout the day? I'm asking because she's in a bigger cage now and maybe can't find the other crickets. She is about 4 months old. Could the cage be too big for her? It is also heavily planted.

I would love some input on how I set up the enclosure. I have attached some pictures. Please let me know if my setup is okay. I have an umbrella plant, ficus and croton in the cage. I will have a 18 inch reptisun 5.0 linear going across the top later today. Right now there is a Zoomed nocturnal infrared heat lamp,100 watts. Is that too hot or does it just matter that the temperature is suitable where she basks? It should be 85-95 in her basking area, right? Currently their is a UVB compact fluorescent light but I will be taking it out for the 5.0 linear.

I was also reading that the red light can bother their sleep. If my house gets down to 50 in the middle of the night, does she still need a heat lamp? I read that they can tolerate 40 degrees but that seems too cold.
I would get rid of the red lamp anyway. They can handle it. Otherwise, looks good.

She is just checking her new enclosure, thats probably why she didn´t eat all of them. Give her time.

welcome to the forum!

its normal for there to be a period of adjustment when moved to a new cage.
I might add a few more lateral branches.

I would keep your home (or at least the room she is in) warmer 60F minimum until she is at least 6 months old. I would not recommend the red light.

you are correct that the wattage of the lamp isn't the important thing - what is important is the temperature zones in the enclosure that you are creating.

So what type of heating bulb should I use that doesn't have a visible light? Also what do you mean by lateral branches?

Can't tell if the soil is covered or not but my Chameleons will go right after dirt or gravel if it is not covered with LARGE rocks.

Lateral branches meaning more vines/branches across the top of the cage. They seem a little far down to me. Chams like to be up high so having them half way down the cage may cause them to feel insecure in their surroundings. For me, I try to spread the vines out so there are some at the top section, middle section and a couple lower so my guy can escape to a cooler area if needed or reach the warmest spots to heat up. :)

The red lights aren't necessary and will disrupt their sleep patterns. They need dark at night. I use a 60 watt heat bulb for Pete's basking spot and a UVB bulb. They are set on 12 hour timers and so far have been working out great.

In regards to temperatures, I don't let the room go below 60F at night. :)

Back
Top Bottom