Feeders

TinyDiamond

I was wondering if anyone else has the same problems as I do. My Jackson will not eat crickets out of a feeder. He will only eat them if they are running around in his encloser. I find it weird because he will eat mealies from a feeder. Not sure if he just likes the hurt or what. If anyone has had this issue would like some advice on what they did. And maybe some more ideas for a feeder. Thank you in advance!

How's the eye?

If he eats the insects when they run around the cage, then why not let them run around the cage? I'd provide a tiny dish of fresh greens and veggies in the cage for the insects too.

Hi. :) When you say “mealies”, I have to assume you mean mealworms. Not sure if anyone has yet told you, but those really aren’t good feeders for chams. Giving you the feeder sheet.
Have you tried the shooting gallery feeder? https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery?variant=30018608595032 If your cham likes the hunt, let some bsfl pupate into flies for some flying treats.
AE05C6B6-DFEC-4B03-A2FF-917484A73B7A.jpeg

Eye is about the same. I actually just contacted the vet and waiting a call back. It definitely doesn't effect his eating.

I did move him to an outside encloser. He seems to be less stressed when the kids are home.

I've been told that crickets will attack chameleons. I know that they can be pretty mean. I also take the hoppers off so they don't cut the corners of Tinys mouth. So the crickets have a hard time crawling around. They normally drop to the bottom and find a way out of the encloser. Lol

Hi. :) When you say “mealies”, I have to assume you mean mealworms. Not sure if anyone has yet told you, but those really aren’t good feeders for chams. Giving you the feeder sheet.
Have you tried the shooting gallery feeder? https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery?variant=30018608595032 If your cham likes the hunt, let some bsfl pupate into flies for some flying treats.
View attachment 285583
Yup he only gets those with the vitamins. Easier to apply and he always eats them. I'm in Hawaii and the only two options are crickets and mealworms. I have been asking around to see if anyone has mirco livestock of roaches but no luck yet. If you know anyone that would be a huge help. I would love to get him a more versatile menu.

I'm also very into gut loading all my bugs. They eat organic fruits and veggies( tons of apples, papaya, sweet potatoes and kale). So even though not nutritional sound they still have some good eats. Lol

Unfortunately I have no clue about obtaining feeders in Hawaii and I’d guess there are most likely somewhat strict laws about having various bugs sent to you. Maybe you could order some silkworm eggs and start breeding your own? I would think silkies would be exempt from regulations as they absolutely can no longer survive on their own.

Unfortunately I have no clue about obtaining feeders in Hawaii and I’d guess there are most likely somewhat strict laws about having various bugs sent to you. Maybe you could order some silkworm eggs and start breeding your own? I would think silkies would be exempt from regulations as they absolutely can no longer survive on their own.
I will have to do more research on the silkworms. I didn't know they can't live on thier own. My stepmother was telling me that these are her favorite for 🦎.

You said..."I've been told that crickets will attack chameleons. I know that they can be pretty mean. I also take the hoppers off so they don't cut the corners of Tinys mouth. So the crickets have a hard time crawling around"... I don't like to be cruel to the insects. I know they are going to be food but I still won't pull off the legs. They can nibble on your chameleon but usually only do it if there is something wrong th the chameleon and maybe if there's no food for them to eat which is why I said to put some food in the cage for the crickets to eat.

Theses are the ones I would want to breed. The plant part makes it easy and sounds like a very healthy option for Chameleons.
I have a small colony of Surinams that I’ve been keeping for several months now. They aren’t as quick to reproduce as my discoids, but the colony is slowly growing. They are fast little buggers and do climb, so you’ll need to keep them in a bin that has a gasket seal to prevent escapes.
Breeding silkworms is a bit more challenging, but it is doable. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/posting-my-silkworm-experience.168402/

You said..."I've been told that crickets will attack chameleons. I know that they can be pretty mean. I also take the hoppers off so they don't cut the corners of Tinys mouth. So the crickets have a hard time crawling around"... I don't like to be cruel to the insects. I know they are going to be food but I still won't pull off the legs. They can nibble on your chameleon but usually only do it if there is something wrong th the chameleon and maybe if there's no food for them to eat which is why I said to put some food in the cage for the crickets to eat.
There is always a piece if kale or cricket gutloading food the encloser when I feed Tiny. I guess I just get nervous about it. And I feel bad sometimes too but then they get eaten lol then I don't feel so bad. But I understand it.

I have a small colony of Surinams that I’ve been keeping for several months now. They aren’t as quick to reproduce as my discoids, but the colony is slowly growing. They are fast little buggers and do climb, so you’ll need to keep them in a bin that has a gasket seal to prevent escapes.
Breeding silkworms is a bit more challenging, but it is doable. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/posting-my-silkworm-experience.168402/
Thats awesome!!! I need to start one. I may as you for some guidance when I do. If you don't mind that is.

Thats awesome!!! I need to start one. I may as you for some guidance when I do. If you don't mind that is.
Not sure I’m all that experienced with the roaches. I just keep them in a bioactive bin (organic soil mix with dwarf white isopods and springtails) and feed them well. I try to keep the soil a little moist by misting it lightly as needed. The Surinam seem shy and stay hidden, buried in the soil. It’s gotten chilly so I’ve had to put a heat mat on my roach bins...they like to be warm.
I was doing very well with silkworms, but lately haven’t been able to get any of my eggs to hatch. Haven’t yet figured out why, but I keep trying.

Back
Top Bottom